The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 12, 2011, 04:38 PM   #1
forer33

Recommend carrying case

I'm looking for a carrying case for my supernova. Preferably a soft case but I'm open to anything. I did some research and saw the 5.11 but that may he too much bag for what I'm looking for. It seems nice though. Any suggestions?
Old May 12, 2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Slugo

Just buy a run of the mill soft side 52" shotgun case at your local sporting goods store. Don't waste your money on an expensive hard case, you'll regret it...
Old May 12, 2011, 06:25 PM   #3
zippy13

First some basics: Do you want a long case to carry the assembled gun, or a shorter case to carry the gun broken down? The shorter case has the advantage of not looking so much like a gun and it's easier to stow. Do you want a case with a compartment for an extra barrel or other accessories? You need to decide what you want in a case, and then go looking for a specific case.
Old May 12, 2011, 06:27 PM   #4
BigJimP

Local gun shows are the best bet to pick up inexpensive soft sided cases...they should have piles of them.

There are a lot of generic hard cases out there too ...where you take the barrel off the gun / store it in the case ( they have egg crate foam in them ) so the barrel and the receiver don't slam together.

Pawn shops / used gun shops ...have a lot of good, high quality often, used cases as well. I picked up a few rifle cases ...for about $ 20 each a few months back ...at my local shop.
Old May 12, 2011, 07:49 PM   #5
oneounceload

as someone who drives a MINI, I can fit a long case in the car...........but a breakdown case is a lot easier to use with my golf cart gun carrier and ammo and case
Old May 12, 2011, 11:03 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

Good shotgun cases(soft hard & tactical)...

Here are a few websites that may offer you a well made shotgun case;

www.Blackhawk.com www.QMuniforms.com www.PoliceHQ.com www.Galls.com www.Natchezss.com www.5.11tactical.com .
I like the milspec VooDoo tactical shotgun scabbard too but it's not a full case. The bright orange Pelican line has merit.

CF
Old May 13, 2011, 03:05 AM   #7
Diamond LawDawg

Bagmaster

I use four of them ..blk,canvas denier..really superduty. I carry my twin 1894 45colt Marlin's and my two Stoeger sxs for SASS competition..they double as my carriers for my Colt LE6940's or any other long gun I need to transport safely.
Old May 13, 2011, 08:41 AM   #8
Drummer101

I find it like packing drums (for the second post guy).

If you are packing your own equipment and are careful a soft case is okay.

If someone else ever touches your stuff get a hard case.

+1 to the ones that are wide enough to take off the barrel. The trunk of my car is small so some of my cases BARELY fit.
Old May 13, 2011, 09:06 AM   #9
anonymousFolk

My hard plastic case with foam on the inside was a massive $14 at Bass Pro. Pretty happy.

I guess if I was gonna micromanage a soft case i'd throw silica packets in or look for one that has wool or whatever the gun-socks are made out of on the inside. That plus a shoulder strap, and a small loop at one end if i wanted to hang it as well.

However, my cheapness wins out, and $14 plastic case goes everywhere now. I see guys carrying in plastic cases to Bass Pro & clay shooting parks, it's fashionable, like North Face.
Old May 13, 2011, 11:49 AM   #10
TheKlawMan

Correct me if I am wrong those of you from the wetter climates, but do plastic cases have issues with condesation if you are in a cold wet climate?

As for me in South Cal, I am thinking of getting one of the plastic ones like I saw at Bass Pro, Turner's, and even Big 5.
Old May 13, 2011, 12:07 PM   #11
BigJimP

No plastic hard cases are not a condensation issue ....most of them are not air tight. If they are air tight / they'll be a problem ...

If you store a gun in a humid environment ...when it cools off ....moisture out of the air will condense on the coldest item in that space. It will make no difference if its a cast iron table top on a table saw in a garage, a gun in a safe or in a soft or plastic case... / condensation will happen.

In "wet climates" and seattle qualifies as that at the least ...we need to keep our gun safes in heated areas if possible / or not back them up to exterior walls, if possible / but if we have to keep them in cooler rooms - then we need to warm up the air in the safe ...with golden rods or a small wattage light bulb or whatever ...so the air stays warm and it holds its moisture. Or you can try a de-humidifier ...but the gel packs don't work too well up here ...because when they saturate / they will then give off moisture like a wet sponge... ( its a battle we all live with ).... me, I just put my foot down ...and told my wife ---the gun safe is going inside - where it belongs !!( and I have the marks to prove it !! ) ....

no seriously, I'm lucky, my safe is in my home -- in my shop ---in a heated walk out basement level. All my guns are in the safe / not in cases - soft or hard ... / cases come out - when I go to the range.

But you have a few humid days in southern CA too ...after a brief storm or whatever ...you'll get some condensation as well ...( not like up here / where we gross moss as a primary landscape plant ....) but humidity is the problem - and most everywhere in the country cools off at night ...and its an issue.
Old May 13, 2011, 01:14 PM   #12
oneounceload

All depends on the purpose - just for transport is one thing, also using as storage is another entirely. For just going back and forth, with no anticipated airline travel, and soft case will do, get a hard breakdown if you like to "throw it in the back of a truck while driving down a washboard road".

If you are planning air travel, one that exceeds the recommendations is best - SKB, Americase, Browning Travel Vault, etc.