The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 4, 2010, 12:36 AM   #1
AdamSean

Anyone have a Marlin 917V?

I am considering the Marlin 917V .17HMR for some squirrel hunting. Does anyone have one they have something good to say about it? I used to have a Savage 93V and loved it. The only thing is to get another one, it is more than the Marlin. So how is the Marlin T-900 trigger?
Old November 4, 2010, 10:51 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

From everything I've read about the HMR and squirrels, it looks like head shots only. I know the .17 Mach II is very destructive on prairie dogs at close range, so the HMR is likely worse.
Old November 4, 2010, 06:28 PM   #3
AdamSean

Oh, I know the damage it will do. The first squirrel I shot with my old .17 HMR, it turned his insides out...everywhere. I like the challenge of taking headshots though. I am trying to figure out if the Marlin 917V trigger is an acceptable trigger or do I really need to pay the extra money for the Savage Accu-Trigger?
Old November 4, 2010, 07:00 PM   #4
bigautomatic

I have the Marlin, and I bought my father the Savage. The Marlin trigger can be better with a little work. The Savage trigger is decent right out of the box, but it can also be improved a little. I found some tips on rimfire central for both triggers. The wood on the Marlin (or at least on mine) is absolute crap, but you get what you pay for, and I planned on replacing the stock from the get-go. Accuracy for these two rifles is nearly identical, both shoot dimes at 100.
Old November 4, 2010, 11:33 PM   #5
AdamSean

Sweet! Sounds good to me. I was leaning more toward the Marlin so that helps.
Old November 9, 2010, 04:41 PM   #6
UniversalFrost

had a 917v and put on a boyds blaster stock (they did a special run of them awhile back). factory trigger is ok, but take it apart and swap out the factory spring with one from an ink pen (seriously). then polish till perfect. should take your weight down to 3lbs.

I had very good results with mine, but sold it when 22-250 came up for sale locally that I had been wanting for some time.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green