The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 22, 2010, 09:13 PM   #1
davebell18

Lee classic turret press problem

Hi, i recently bought a brand new 3 hole lee turret press kit. The problem i am having is that my auto primer feeder which is hooked on the front is hitting my lee auto disk. I did go and pick up a riser but it is still hitting. The way i am looking at is, if i were to screw the die in more, it would rotate the auto disk so that it would clear. How ever then i would get to much of a lip sort of say. ( i forgot the correct wording there). The opening to where the bullet sits on before going to the seating die. If i were to turn it the other way, it would not even open the top of the brass. Do i have to buy another riser? Thanks
Old April 22, 2010, 09:20 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

Looking at the reviews for the riser on Midway, it appears that some users have had to use two risers to get the necessary clearance. I just ordered a 4-hole turret press and ordered two risers just in case.
Old April 22, 2010, 10:00 PM   #3
palabman

I just picked up a 4 hole turret about a month ago and have reloaded .380 auto and 40 S&W. Thus far I have had no problems with clearance. I can see where there may be a problem with rifle calibers so as the previous poster recommended, maybe a second riser is in order.
Old April 22, 2010, 10:17 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Mine hits a little but there's plenty of "wobble" in the primer feeder for it to spin by with no trouble.

Is it worse than that for you?
Old April 22, 2010, 11:15 PM   #5
warnerwh

Not an issue if you put the powder container over the turret. At least on the Pro Auto Disk this is possible. This is with one riser.
Old April 22, 2010, 11:24 PM   #6
lamarw

I am glad someone brought this up, and also someone surfaced with a possible solution. (using two risers).

I have had the same problem with my Classic 4 hole turret and my standard 4 hole turret. It happens with my loads of .389, 9mm and .45 ACP.

Although aggravating, the real damage is with the slow destruction of the nylon Square Ratchet (TF3567) and the Auto Index Clamp (TF3566 Each time there is a colision between the powder handler and the floppy primer tray it shears on the auto indexing and causes you to stop what you are doing to readjust your square nut on the end of the Square Index Rod.
Old April 23, 2010, 04:41 PM   #7
mlk3454

Quote:
Not an issue if you put the powder container over the turret. At least on the Pro Auto Disk this is possible. This is with one riser.
I place my Pro auto disk over the turret like noted above and I have not issues with it hitting the primer feeder. If the powder container is anywhere else it hits the primer feeder but I would recommend trying out a few positions before you throw another riser on.
Old April 23, 2010, 04:52 PM   #8
SnakeCharmer

I have the 4 hole classic cast press with the pro auto disc and it works great. You definately need the riser and you need to point the powder measure toward the center of the turret so you dont hit the primer feeder but you do not have to disturb you die adjustment to do it. If you install the riser in the die and then the measure on the riser last, you just hold it pointing where you want while you tighten that black thumb screw thing. The measure isnt locked to the riser until you tighten that thumb screw so I dont really see why you are having trouble with it.
Old April 24, 2010, 07:28 PM   #9
Tacoma

It's CLOSE and somewhat dependant on the die set your using and how they are adjusted. Some hit, some don't. . I've just gone to the double riser system and now have NO ISSIUES with any. That said, it should be noted that there is only ONE proper depth for the resize die if you intend to use the Safety prime System. You need to assure that your resize/decap die is set to a depth that allows the bottom surface of the swinging primer feed arm to JUST contact the top of the priming lever when the ram is at the top of it's stroke. If not, primers will not feed reliably at all. ( Something Lee forgets to tell you in any of their literature/video's.) I love their turret presses but their assembly and adjustment guidance is embarrassing!

You'd think that as popular as the turret/classic turret are, they would make a pair of 10 min video's walking you through initial assembly and adjustments.
Old April 24, 2010, 08:34 PM   #10
wingman

Quote:
point the powder measure toward the center of the turret
Simply as that, once the powder measure is positioned properly she will past the primer like looking for the gold ring on the merry go round.
Old April 24, 2010, 08:56 PM   #11
davebell18

Thank you for all the help. For the people that said to just put the powder measure in the middle that would make sense yes. But in order to do that you are changing how fare in the brass goes to flair the mouth. The more you screw it in, the bigger flair you get and will wear the brass out faster. If you turn the die out, there will be no flair at all. Thanks
Old April 25, 2010, 12:05 AM   #12
Jim243

Old April 25, 2010, 12:12 AM   #13
snuffy

Dave, it sounds like you're using the standard lee auto disk measure. It doesn't have the swivel nut that allows you to lock the measure in any position. You will have to up-grade to the pro auto disk to get that flexibility.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 25, 2010, 09:04 AM   #14
davebell18

Yes, snuffy i believe you are right. I was just seeing if i could do it with the one i have now but i guess not. Thanks guys!