The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 7, 2009, 01:53 PM   #1
kreiderm

SW4566 misfiring

I just bought a used SW4566 from a local shop. The exterior is in perfect shape - not a scratch on it. It is set up like a LE issue with decock only lever. I fired a box of 50 and it misfired on 6! I took it back to the shop and they told me to clean it well and try again. I told them to keep it and have the gunsmith check it out before I fire it again. Should I be concerned over this malfunction or is it soimething the gunsmith should be able to correct? The pin marks on the misfires were slightly off center.
Old September 7, 2009, 08:08 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

It's not unusual for firing pin strikes to be off center a little. The problem could be:

1. Broken firing pin.
2. Gunked up firing pin channel.
3. Something preventing the pistol from going 100% into battery.

The latter two can probably be fixed by a thorough cleaning, the former will take some remedial gunsmithing.
Old September 7, 2009, 08:31 PM   #3
Sevens

I have a 3rd Gen S&W 1006. Not the same caliber as your pistol, but very similar build. Not a gunsmith, so I can't tell you what is wrong with yours.

But I did want to say that it nails all my primers off-center. It just does... it's in the design of this pistol. It's not wrong or malfunctioning, it's just built that way.
Old September 7, 2009, 08:45 PM   #4
kreiderm

Have you ever had a misfire in your 1006?
Old September 7, 2009, 08:47 PM   #5
David the Gnome

Depending on whether or not it was tinkered with by the previous owner I'd say replacing the mainspring with a factory unit would probably do wonders.
Old September 7, 2009, 10:16 PM   #6
Sevens

I can't say that I have had any misfires in my 1006. This is since 1992.

If I have had any misfires, it's been a hellish long time and it wasn't memorable.
Old September 8, 2009, 08:59 AM   #7
Tom2

So the question arises-what ammo!? I had a 4506 that would sometimes not go fully into battery with alum. Blazers. I have seen misfires with some Wolf .45 ammo at the range, something I have never been tempted to use. Are you seeing light strikes on the misfired rounds or what?
Old September 8, 2009, 09:43 AM   #8
.357SIG

Depending on what you mean by "misfire", I'd say it was probably dirty or oiled in the firing pin hole. I doubt it has a broken firing pin. This is going on the assumption you have light strikes.

If you get light strikes, clean out firing pin channel.

If rounds are not allowing the slide to go into battery, and the trigger just can't be pulled (as if slide was back), it's probably the recoil spring.

Beyond that, I'd try the firing pin spring.

I have a 1006, and I can't imagine being able to beat this thing up very easily. under normal use...even harsh use.

Are the 50 rounds factory or reloads? Could be the ammo, but not likely, unless you just got a really bad batch.
Old September 8, 2009, 02:41 PM   #9
kreiderm

The ammo was factory Fiocchi. The trigger pulled each time and went click. It happened from both single and double action. I released the slide with the slide release each time.
Old September 8, 2009, 02:43 PM   #10
.357SIG

Hmmmm....

dirty, bad spring, or bad ammo. I had a box of 357 SIG rounds by S&B that did the same thing. It was a bad box, because it never happened again.
Old September 8, 2009, 05:02 PM   #11
SouthpawShootr

I suspect the pistol need a detail strip and clean. As John already pointed out, Most likely it is a gunked up firing pin channel. A certified S&W armorer will find the problem quickly. It'll be a simple fix.
Old September 8, 2009, 05:24 PM   #12
Icopy1

Try this. Stick a pencil with a rubber eraser inside the barrel with the eraser going in first. Your gun is unloaded goes without saying. Point in a safe direction with a hard backstop. Pull the trigger. The pencil should shoot out the barrel. If it doesn't, it could be a busted firing pin or clogged firing pin channel. My 4566 will shoot the pencil across the room.

It also a good way to see if your decocker is working. When you decock the pistol, the pencil shouldn't move at all.
Old September 8, 2009, 06:56 PM   #13
kreiderm

I just picked up the pistol from the gunsmith. He felt the misfires (I brought them in with the pistol) were light strikes and he replaced the hammer spring along with a thorough cleaning of the firing pin area. He said it test fired OK with a assortment of ammo. I will probably still replace the recoil spring. Thanks for all the suggestions. I was able to intelligently talk about the repair as a result and am confident the gun was a good buy.
Old September 8, 2009, 08:22 PM   #14
SouthpawShootr

Quote:
am confident the gun was a good buy.
You should be. 3rd generation S&W autos were the premium of the line. The only reason they're gone (not completely) from the lineup is that 1- Plastic has become stylish. If the FBI adopts it, everybody else is gonna want one. I've seen this before. 2- Polymer frames are much lighter and LEOs appreciate the weight savings with all the other junk they have to carry. 3- Cost savings. S&W sells the Sigma E-series guns now for roughly half the price of a 3rd generation S&W back in days of yesteryear and they're making a good profit off each Sigma they sell. New 3rd generation (TSW) metal Smiths would likely go for $700 or $800 now on the civilian market. Also, this is subjective, I've come to regard the large frame (4500 and 1000 series) Smith as having even better fit and finish than smaller frame (5900, 4000, 6900, 3900 series). I have several examples of each purchased both used and NIB and, to me, it looks like a little extra effort was made in production of the large frame guns.

Your problem was a bump in the road. I think you'll be very satisfied with your gun. Wouldn't mind picking one up myself.
Old September 8, 2009, 09:23 PM   #15
kreiderm

I can't bring myself to buy a plastic/polymer handgun. I like the weight and recoil dampning of the heavy metal versions.
Old September 9, 2009, 06:09 PM   #16
Tom2

Well fine on no plastic now, but you should at least rent if not buy a Glock to see what the hubbub is all about on them. I doubt it would change your mind, I have owned a couple in the past but have been able to resist any more for the time being. But who knows, maybe someday someone will tempt me with a steal price on a Glockster, and if I am in the right frame of mind at that moment somehow(stoned, drunk, inexplicable euphoria) I might go ahead and grab another. Then later on feel like the guy waking up in the strange bedroom and then looking over....
Old September 9, 2009, 07:20 PM   #17
varoadking

May need a new factory power mainspring. Check out Wolff Gunsprings...