The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2009, 02:31 PM   #1
LuckyStrike

I'm new, need some help!

Hey guys, I'd appreciate it if you could help me out. I'm new to reloading and would like to start reloading match ammo for my Remington 700 5R and am hoping you guys might have some wisdom to share. I just bought the Lee 50th anniversary kit.

Seen here: http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/anivers.html

As for dies I'm not sure what to get. There's a lot of them out there... I'm looking into these 'Collet Dies' from Lee;

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...es-collet.html

Will these dies work for what I intend to do? Is there anything I should know about dies for a bolt action precision rifle?

I'm planning on using Sierra Match King 175's. What powder do you recommend that I use?

And lastly, will the powder measure scale that comes with the kit be sufficient for my 'match grade' purposes? If not, can you recommend me a scale that is good enough?

That's about all, I think. If there are any other parts/pieces I should look into getting, please let me know. Like I said, I'm new to reloading and it seems like a lot of fun. If there is anything else you can share with me that I might need to know I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!!
Old May 18, 2009, 03:30 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Lee collet dies are sweet! Should work just fine in your bolt rifle. You won't be disappointed! Best neck-sizing die for the money hands down!

The scale is just OK. For super-precise ammo, I would get a better scale that is going to be a little easier to set up and read. I used the Lee scale for a while and it worked fine...now I have an RCBS and LOVE IT! Easier to set up and seems a little more sensitive. Don't get me wrong, I had consistent ammo with the cheapy Lee scale, but the RCBS is much, much easier to use. Good luck!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old May 18, 2009, 04:01 PM   #3
ForneyRider

Lee scale - 20$, works good, 1/10gr accuracy

RCBS, Lyman, Redding, Hornady, etc. - 70$, works great, 1/10gr accuracy

RCBS electronic scale and powder dropper - $300, works great, 1/10gr accuracy, but much faster than trickling, and more accurate than BR-3 or other powder dropper.

I looked at Redding BR-3 powder dropper and Redding #2 scale to replace my Lee stuff, but went with RCBS Chargemaster. Works great.

I use Lee, RCBS, and Redding dies. I think the Lee stuff is great and affordable, but if you are going to start playing around with neck tension, neck turning, etc. then you need more expensive equipment. Although, the Lee collet-dies are very nice, full-length sizing brass gives you more control over the brass. If you are loading multiple bullets and/or playing around with OAL, you may want a bullet setting die with micrometer top like the Redding, Forster, or RCBS.

Last edited by ForneyRider; May 18, 2009 at 04:05 PM. Reason: dies
Old May 18, 2009, 04:07 PM   #4
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. I have the same kit. You will need the caliber specific shell holder and case length gauge.
If you want to clean and inspect the primer pocket, You might prefer to use a different priming system.
Old May 18, 2009, 07:43 PM   #5
LuckyStrike

Thanks for the input guys.

Skullandcrossbones; can you explain what you mean about the primer tools?

Also, If I get the Collet dies are those all I will need or do in need to also get a sizing die or any other dies as well?

Last edited by LuckyStrike; May 18, 2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old May 18, 2009, 10:01 PM   #6
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. With the setup you have, you can prime the brass immediately after decapping and resizing. This can be done without removing the case from the press. I suspect people who use a progressive press don't clean/inspect the primer pocket. People who are after high quality precision ammunition, or have an OCD would probably not leave out this step.
There are many different brands of hand priming tools available, they do not require a loading press to prime the case. By cleaning and inspecting the primer pocket you have another opportunity to inspect the cases. This way you don't prime faulty brass. You can still use the press mounted priming tool as an independent step.

Quote:
Also, If I get the Collet dies are those all I will need or do in need to also get a sizing die or any other dies as well?
What reloading book do you have?
What reloading books have you read?
Have you read the sticky at the top of the reloading threads?
Depending on the answers to these questions as to how much detail we need to go into.
Old May 19, 2009, 08:14 AM   #7
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
Although, the Lee collet-dies are very nice, full-length sizing brass gives you more control over the brass.
Not sure I agree. I prefer to keep my brass fire-formed to custom fit my chamber for my bolt rifles. Then when I neck size with the collet die, the ONLY part of the brass I am changing is the neck (tension)...and not the whole piece of brass. Everybody has their own way, though!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~