The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 4, 2009, 03:31 PM   #1
Rourke

Inexpensive AR-15 red-dot sight?

Hello all - I have a new Stag Arms M4 variant and looking for an inexpensive red-dot optical sight. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on models.

Thanks all - Rourke
Old January 4, 2009, 04:15 PM   #2
zoomie

Bushnell Holosight. Any of the cheapos may or may not last - more likely not.
Old January 4, 2009, 05:17 PM   #3
Crosshair

This Red-Dot is for a handgun, but it should work on an AR as well.

/
//Seriously, the Bushnell Red-Dots are superb, I own two myself.
Old January 4, 2009, 08:04 PM   #4
CARGUY2244

red dot optics.
you get what you pay for.
cheap optics malfunction.
the manufacturer won't tell you WHEN they'll malfunction, but it WILL occur.
WHEN that happens, your point of aim will be VERY diiferent from your point of impact.
at that moment, your gun isn't a weapon, it's a 4th of july fireworks display.
when you need to save yourself or those for whom you're responsible, do you want a weapon, or a roman candle?
Old January 4, 2009, 08:22 PM   #5
Sixer

Quote:
Bushnell Holosight
BINGO!

I dont know what your idea of "cheap" is, but you should be able to find one in the $190-$200 range. Though you have to be quick sometimes because I believe these are out of production.
Old January 4, 2009, 08:27 PM   #6
AK103K

CARGUY2244 summed it up pretty well. You really do get what you pay for. I've had a bunch of "cheap"( and only one was a $40 sight, the rest big name and over $100) sights, and most all of them failed before to long with moderate use. If I had back the money I wasted, I'd have enough to buy a couple more Aimpoints.

Do yourself a favor, spend more than you can afford, cry once, and get something good. Aimpoint or Eotech are your best bet. I like the Aimpoints better, but many like the Eotech.

Also keep in mind, a decent mount or ring is going to cost you what a "cheap" dot will, and you have to add that into the mix.
Old January 4, 2009, 10:34 PM   #7
mskdgunman

I agree. Pay the cost for the Aimpoint or Eotec. I've tried several bargin red dots and they all fail sooner or later (mostly sooner) but my chief complaint is none are BRIGHT enough for use in broad daylight. The dots just kind of vanish. Anyway, the cheapest I have in the inventory now is the Bushnell Trophy MP. It looks like a ACOG knock off but is pretty bright, easy to zero and (so far) is working well.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...595&hasJS=true
Old January 4, 2009, 10:42 PM   #8
MrNiceGuy

you're probably going to be looking at something from bushnell

great products at a good price

about half the price of their higher end counterparts and yet still reliable.

the bushnell holosight is a great and reliable alternative to the eotech for example, and at half the cost.

some people think that nothing less than the best and most expensive will do, those are the people who see "inexpensive" and still recommend eotech, aimpoint, acog, etc
they would also most likely criticize you for owning an ar15 that isnt a colt, lmt, noveske etc
Old January 4, 2009, 10:51 PM   #9
hoytinak

Agrees on the Bushnell...prollying about to pick one up myself for my AK. Another good quality red-dot that's doesn't cost too much would be the C-More's. I have a couple of them on different AK's and pistols and they've been great.

Other than that, you get what you pay for on the red dots....I've tried a bunch and had to re-buy after they quit on me.
Old January 4, 2009, 11:13 PM   #10
AK103K

The AK on the left has a Bushnell Trophy on it. It didnt last much more than 500 rounds before it started having problems. It also had a couple of different reticules that would not hold zero between them when switched.

The AK on the right had a Tasco on it. That actually held up OK, until the gun slid off the seat of my truck onto the floor of the car port. It was instantly obvious that its zero was off, and when you shot it after the fall, you had to keep fiddling with the switch to keep the dot on.

Both guns now, and if you pick one or the other, each has more rounds through them now than both did in the first pic combined. Each is also on, 24/7/365, and gets its battery changed once a year, whether it needs it or not.

If all you do is take the gun out of the safe and to the range once in awhile and shoot a box or two, the cheap sights will "probably" be OK. If you leave in bouncing around in the back of your truck, and treat it less than gentle, I'm betting it doesnt hold up as well, if at all. And make sure you buy lots of batteries. Most of the cheaper ones eat them like candy, especially if you forget to turn them off.
Old January 5, 2009, 12:35 AM   #11
Sixer

Not sure if this was already mentioned, but you might want to consider that the Bushnell Holosight was made by Eotech (or vice versa).

Just something nice to know if youre planning on dropping an extra $200 on an Eotech. Basically the same quality sight with a different name on it.
Old January 5, 2009, 08:36 AM   #12
22_Shooter

I'd recommend an Aimpoint.

But if you want inexpensive, I'll recommend the Millet that I have, and am currently using on my 9mm AR.

I did some research on this specific sight, and didn't really find any negative reviews on it.

It's not on my "go to" gun, so I'm not really concerned. But like I said, everyone that owns/owned one, had great things to say. And I have been more than pleased with it. Especially for the $65 I paid for it, brand new,

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=459296

You might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere, I just provided the link to show you what it is.

But on the Bushnell note...........You might as well just get a used EoTech 512, as opposed to a Bushnell Holosight.
Old January 5, 2009, 09:43 AM   #13
Te Anau

You may find one of these to be ideal.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...ID=4006&r=view

Tags
ar-15 , red dot sight