The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 13, 2008, 09:58 AM   #1
TPAW

Spotting Scope - Need Advise

Gents,

I'm looking for a decent spotting scope. I shoot 100 and 200 yards from a bench rest position. I would like something that I could also use for a further distance if I ever get the chance to shoot beyond 200 yards. My price range is about $150.00. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old December 13, 2008, 11:29 AM   #2
wjkuleck

It's been too long since I surveyed the market, and I'm a real cheapskate anyway...but I do have one suggestion.

Whatever you get, get a spotting scope with an angled eyepiece. You'll be glad you did, every time you look through the scope by turning your head a little bit instead of having to move your whole body to get your head behind a straight eyepiece.

Regards,

Walt
The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
The AR-15 Complete Assembly
and (New 4th Edition) Owner's Guides

Last edited by wjkuleck; December 13, 2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Typo
Old December 13, 2008, 12:06 PM   #3
sholling

There isn't a lot that's worth a darn in that price range. Probably the best bargain is just above you limit. A Bushnell Discoverer can be had for right at $200. It's really a birding scope and is not weather proof and the eye relief is pretty short, but the optical quality is head and shoulders better than most $200 and below spotters. For something at or below $150 I'd give eagle optics a call and see if they have anything from their floor samples in your price range. Their CSRs actually know their products.
Old December 13, 2008, 12:17 PM   #4
ohen cepel

I can't vouch for any of them. However, these guys have many choices and are who I always my first choice for optics:

http://www.swfa.com/c-5-spotting-sco...elescopes.aspx

If nothing else, it's a good selection to compare.

The angled eye piece is a huge plus as mentioned above.

I looked around their site a bit and Tasco will get you an angle head for under $150
http://www.swfa.com/c-1167-tasco-wor...-spotters.aspx Three choice from them under that. I can't speak to the quality. However, if you're looking for a bullet hole on a range I think they will be fine. I have a cheap older Tasco and it works for that fine.

Wouldn't take it birding, but I'm not into that.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Last edited by ohen cepel; December 13, 2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old December 13, 2008, 12:42 PM   #5
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Back in 2006, we had an interesting and somewhat lengthly discussion on spotting scopes in this thread.

You might find some helpful information there.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 13, 2008, 01:55 PM   #6
TPAW

Thank you guys, I'll follow through on your suggestions. Maybe I can bump up my budget a little over $200.