The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 13, 2008, 10:58 AM   #1
hillbillyboy

Hog hunt in San Antonio or College station area?

I will be making a trip down to texas at the end of the month. The reason for this trip is that my brother is going to a football camp in college station. I will be flying into San Antonio, then driving to college station. I do not want to sit in college station for 10 days with nothing to do. I am wondering if there is anyone within maybe an hour of either of these towns that would let me hunt their land for just hogs and maybe some predators. I would gladly do some work in exchange for this, and maybe if you would be comfortable with it, i could pay you in order to sleep at your place. You can comment back or message me.
Old June 13, 2008, 11:21 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Try Google for gunstores in Bryan or College Station. I've often seen business cards or ads for hunting opportunities. Also, seed and feed stores.

You might check out the IPSC and IDPA websites to see if there are local clubs around there.
Old June 14, 2008, 04:16 PM   #3
True Texan

College Station

While I can't recommend a place to hunt, I can recommend some activities to do down there.

Tour the Sanders Corps Center. Read the story of 7 Congressional Medal of Honor recipients from A&M. Also while there you need to visit the gunroom in the Corps Center. It is the 2nd (?) best gunroom in Texas.

Visit the Blue Bell ice cream factory in Brenham

Hit all the gun stores. There are a couple nice ones there.

Visit the Bonfire Memorial with someone that can tell you the story of the collapse and the construction of the Memorial.

Tour the WHOLE campus.

Go to the Bush Presidential Library.

GO TO THE DIXIE CHICKEN!

These are just a few of the many wonderful things to do in C.S.

For what it's worth, I start there this fall.

Last edited by True Texan; June 14, 2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Added a smiley
Old June 29, 2008, 04:07 PM   #4
m.rehme

http://www.wildhoghunttexas.com/

I am going to give this place a try.
Old June 29, 2008, 07:06 PM   #5
birdshot

Yegua WMA

to be legal, you will need an out of state hunting license for hunting on land you don't own. Hunting with an outfitter may be an exception, not sure. That being said, just west of college station is lake Sommerville. and on the west end of the lake is a WMA and some army corp land which has produced a lot of hogs. Texas is the land of the continual summer and they are now in their hot part of summer. hogs by the water and/or moving between corn and cover would be your best bet. night hunt is an option. the cover is thick.
Old June 29, 2008, 08:32 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Not one to point out the obvious... unless it is gets a big laugh...
Are you sure he needs a hunting license? Here in Florida wild hogs are considered ag property of the land owner. No permit is needed except on public land.
Brent
Old June 29, 2008, 08:48 PM   #7
birdshot

texas parks and wildlife

TPW regulations require a valid texas hunting license to hunt hogs. there are no bag limits or closed season. as a bonus i noticed you could also hunt ostrich and other ratites in texas the same rules apply.
Old June 30, 2008, 05:46 PM   #8
hillbillyboy

we'll i couldnt really find a place in time, and i leave tommorrow. So me and my dad are driving to south padre to go charter fishing. but thanks for your help anyway. i hope to go there in the future for hunting.
Old July 1, 2008, 06:07 PM   #9
birdshot

reds and specs

i started to suggest a fishing trip along the coast, but thought it would be off topic. the only thing better than catching a mess of specs is eating them fried. offshore is great for snapper, but i enjoy fishing in the bay much better. i like the port o'conner area best. sabine pass is great also. around port o'conner i recomend otis lambright for a guide. hope you have a memorable trip.
Old July 7, 2008, 11:35 AM   #10
davlandrum

m.rehme - PM sent.

I used those guys. Did not live up to the website.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart