The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 19, 2007, 04:33 PM   #1
Mainah

Tick Prevention/Hunting

Any tips for keeping ticks at bay while hunting? If I'm not hunting I put on bug spray and tuck my pants into white tube socks when I'm in the woods, but neither seems too smart during whitetail season.
Old July 19, 2007, 06:28 PM   #2
davlandrum

M - I always use my old Army trick of tucking my pants in my boots as I am lacing them up. Grab the pant leg at the side seems, then fold the pants back on both sides. This keeps the material from bunching up in your boot and rubbing. If I am in heavy tick country, I spray my boots and pant legs with permethrin (sp?). It is not to be used on skin, just clothing. When it dries, it does not have an odor (that my poor nose can detect anyway). I also use scent masker (fresh earth) so even if there is a slight odor, I would not worry about it.

Last - as awkward as it is, nothing beats a thorough body check on a daily basis...

My buddy got Lyme's disease - now has joint problems and 70% hearing loss in one ear from it. Ticks are just nasty critters.
Old July 19, 2007, 07:25 PM   #3
stevelyn

Spray your clothes with Permanone and take the usual precautions.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old July 19, 2007, 07:58 PM   #4
Dirty_Harry

You know, I have been in and out of the woods all my life, and I have never had a tick get on me ever. I have been camping where almost everyone of my buddies got one, but me.

Weird huh?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old July 19, 2007, 08:59 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

Quote:
Spray your clothes with Permanone and take the usual precautions.
Yep. But if you didn't know, you must do this a couple of days before you hunt, and let it dry thoroughly. Otherwise, permanone is poisonous to humans. Plus, letting it dry helps the scent die down a bit.

Dirty Harry, I'm guessing that you camp here:

http://library.thinkquest.org/C007506/images/tundra.gif
Old July 19, 2007, 09:02 PM   #6
PTR 91

Strange I hunt and camp and I have never had one tick one me.
Old July 20, 2007, 07:51 AM   #7
Doyle

I use the Permanone on my snake boots but I do something else as an extra precaution. This may sound a little stupid, but I usually have a bottle of dog shampoo sitting in the bathroom (from when I bathe the dog). I just soap up with that after a day in the field. It won't get the deep-attached ticks, but it tends to wash off the little seed ticks that are still crawling around.
Old July 20, 2007, 08:04 AM   #8
fisherman66

We just dust up with a sulfur sock. We took a couple feral hogs last year that were coated with ticks on the underbelly. We hung them over night and the ticks were at the tips of the fur the next morning. NASTY. They stayed off us for the most part during the pajama removal (caping), but we had to brush them off occasionally. I got over my phobia pretty quickly, but I still get a little creeped out when I see them crawling on me.
Old July 20, 2007, 02:36 PM   #9
Dirty_Harry

LOL

Quote:
Dirty Harry, I'm guessing that you camp here:

http://library.thinkquest.org/C007506/images/tundra.gif
You are a funny man FirstFreedom.

No I camp in the Manistee National Forest in Michigan.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old July 20, 2007, 02:39 PM   #10
Dirty_Harry

Oh and BTW, we camp in the same spot every time, and if you gentlemen find it, God help you if you also find my pooping log.

Old July 20, 2007, 02:56 PM   #11
Wild Bill Bucks

I used to coon hunt with my dad years ago, and he always made us wipe ourselves down with vinegar. After you get past the smell, it works.

My wife and I bought a little piece of property on McGee Creek Lake, in Oklahoma about 6 or 7 years ago, and beleive me, it was a wilderness.
We had to do lots of tree cutting and removal of underbrush, so we coated ourselves with vinegar before starting work every day, and never used any repellant other than that, and we have not had any problems with chiggers,seed ticks, or mesquitos.

Also if you are around poison ivy it works to nuetralize the oil in the plant that causes you to break out. It also works well to wipe off your exposed skin with after coming out of the woods, as it removes any poison ivy or seed ticks and chiggers that may have gotten on you while your hunting.

Can't hardly use it when hunting any kind of game that is scent wary, but it works great for squirrells and rabbits, as well as birds.
Old July 21, 2007, 08:08 PM   #12
Fat White Boy

I am cracking up thinking of Brad Paisley's "I Want to Check You for Ticks".

I have found a tick every now and then but what I really hate are Chiggers...
Old July 21, 2007, 09:05 PM   #13
Hello123

After everyday in the woods I copiously lather up with soap to help remove the poison ivy oil and do a search for ticks. Then the rest of the day I think I feel one moving on me, and you see me scratching my head a lot.
Old July 21, 2007, 09:32 PM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Powdered sulfur keeps ticks off. And besides vinegar, a wipe-down with kerosene kills any that are wandering around; kerosene won't burn the skin like gasoline can.

Art
Old July 23, 2007, 06:20 PM   #15
Mainah

Thanks for the tips. I got a great tick removal tool at the pet store last year. It's a blaze orange spoon, the size of a tea spoon. It has a v-shaped notch on the lip in front, and it plucks ticks right off of my dogs. They end up in the spoon, easy to spot.

Have I mentioned lately that I hate ticks and have a semi-permanent case of the heebie jeebies?
Old July 23, 2007, 06:39 PM   #16
elrod

Read an article in a local publication that said Bounce fabric softner sheets were good insect repellent sheets,also. Simply tuck one in back pocket for all biting insects. I wonder if those guys who bragged about not having ticks could be wearing clothes treated w/ Bounce? Just thinking out loud.
Old July 23, 2007, 06:57 PM   #17
SavageSniper

How about a flea and tick dog collar on each leg just above the boot tops?
Old July 23, 2007, 07:11 PM   #18
Doyle

Quote:
I can't even get those blasted things to work on dogs.
Old July 25, 2007, 07:42 PM   #19
Leafs

Preventic tick collar will works great on my dogs.
Old July 26, 2007, 02:12 PM   #20
davlandrum

Quote:
Tried it in Louisiana while stationed there trying to keep the chiggers away. I developed a severe rash - skin sweating under the flea collar and the active ingrediant getting soaked it.

Not something I would try again....
Old July 26, 2007, 02:55 PM   #21
Hello123

cabelas has an under armour type bug undersuit.
Old July 28, 2007, 01:45 AM   #22
Desertfox

The powdered supher works. Chiggars and ticks will not get on you and it has no bearing on odor. I have used it for years and I shoot deer at 10 to 15 yards every fall. I have deer walk below my stand often and I have yellow dusted boots hanging over their heads.

Buy the dusting powder for ornamental plants and dump it in a tube sock. Tie it in a knot and tap it on your boots and pantlegs knee high.

I keep mine in a bread sack behind the seat of my truck.

I have had ticks and chiggars numerous times when I am off without my sulpher.

Eastern Oklahoma and the piney woods of north east Texas are home to some blood thirsty ticks.
Old July 29, 2007, 03:41 PM   #23
buck460XVR

having had Lymes myself, I never hunt without spraying with deet or till after the first hard frost comes. Thank god turkeys have no sense of smell, cause Turkey season is when they're the worst around here. I will use spray sparingly during early bow season, but am very careful to hunt a spot that prevents deer from getting close upwind of me. During rifle season if the ticks are still there and I'm still using spray, most deer are well within range before they spook. Ain't no deer in my opinion worth gettin' Lymes again.