The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old August 18, 2006, 02:31 PM   #26
jacob

Depends on holstering method

With most types of holsters you just unzip and pee. If you are standing at the urinal, what is the issue, if you have an inside waist band holster, outside (on belt) holster, etc. I have gone through many holsters, and I have the typical "box of many holsters." I kept returning to the belly band. This keeps the gun behind the hip, close in for deep concealment. It is much more comfortable than anything else I have tried, as it flexes with my body movements. It functions the same way for drawing as an IWB holster. If wearing a jacket or long shirt, the grip can be exposed over the pant. Or the shirt can be tucked over it. When I go to the bathroom, it is irrelevant. I simply unzip and go. Or, if sitting on the throne, I can take my pants down without the gun coming down. Of course, an undergarment goes on under the holster to prevent irritation against bare skin.
Old August 18, 2006, 02:43 PM   #27
PaulBk

Koala Baby Changing Station inside the stall?

-PB
Old August 19, 2006, 10:13 PM   #28
snolden

+1 more on the gun to the crotch of the pants with this exception. Get a holster that you can remove from your belt easily (Galco Scout fits this bill very well).

When you sit remove holster and gun and set in your pants. This will prevent ND's if it is a quality holster.
Old August 20, 2006, 02:36 AM   #29
tanksoldier

I use a shoulder holster 90% of the time.

When I do belt carry I use stalls for all my transactions.

If I have to sit down with belt carry I usually try to use the handicap stall, and I use the "knee tension method" of keeping my belt up near my knees... keeps pants off dirty floor too.

FUNNY STORY: When I was a volunteer firefighter, the local sheriff substation was next door to the fire station. Older deputy used to come over and shoot the bull once in a while, esp when we had just been on a call together. One day he left the station, saw him drive away in his prowler... ten minutes later he comes back in, takes his gunbelt off the coatrack, and walks out again without saying anything.

GEN George S. Patton, Jr.
Old August 20, 2006, 08:55 AM   #30
revjen45

6 weeks or so ago there was a thread covering the same question in Evan Marshall's site, with very similar input. I hate using public facilities for #2 also and avoid it whenever possible. My answer would be to set the gun cradled between my legs in my underwear and cover it with a paper towel. (No it won't make my gun stink. I change my skivvies pretty regular and am not incontinent.) Using a stall to whizz for security makes a lot of sense. When I am carrying in the front pocket of my pants there is no problem and I can have my hand on my little friend all the time.
Old August 21, 2006, 03:24 PM   #31
Jack Malloy

Col. Cooper used to recommend taking your pistol out and putting it down inside your pants.

Mass Ayoob pointed out that on the old TV show Barney Miller, detective Fish, who was an older guy wore a shoulder rig. ...
That takes care of that....
I seem to recall a story from the seventies about a cocked and locked fan who used to hang his peice on the little hook on the mens room wall for coats...But his grip safety was disconnected, and the thumb safety got wiped off unbeknownst to him...
He wound up with the gun going off about four times in a circle till it finally malfed....

If the commode is an older model with a flat top, I rest my peice on that...If I am wearing an IWB rig, I put the whole rig on it, to avoid scuffing it.
When I worked security, I once dropped a shiny stainless .45 into a dry sink and scuffed the hell out of it....
Porcelain is slick, you know....
These days, I usually pack a J frame or Officers Model size 1911, so I can stick it in a pocket (usually on a vest) when in the crapper.

The fact that you dont see much comment about a peice in the crapper just shows that many chairborn rangers online don't know squat about real world self defense, not that you are paranoid....
Old August 21, 2006, 03:28 PM   #32
Jack Malloy

PS for what it is worth, I am a diabetic as are a large number of Americans.
Even though my diabetes is currently under control (94 was my reading this morning on my meter ) many of us with a malf-ing pancreas do have to pee quite a bit and the idea of just avoiding restrooms is out of the question.
Before I got my diabetes under control I had to travel with a hospital style urine jug because often I had to stop and whiz ON THE WAY to the nearest rest stop....

If you urinate a lot, have leg cramps at night, suffer from blurry vision, etc...get your sugar level checked. Diabetes kills more people every year than AIDS and Cancer combined. It got Johnny Cash, and it got Waylon Jennings and it can get you too.
Old August 21, 2006, 04:49 PM   #33
wolfy692005

That's not paranoid at all

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I do is to unholster and place my pistol kind of nestled in the crotch of my pants while I sit there and think. You maintain control that way and absolutely will not forget it on the back of the stool or something, which does happen to folks from time to time.

this is exactly what i do as well
Old September 9, 2006, 05:52 PM   #34
raymond-

Teenager In Next Stall Scared By Gunfire

POSTED: 9:48 am PDT September 8, 2006
HUDSON, N.H. -- What do you do with the gun in your pants when you go to the john?

Police in Hudson, N.H., have charged Charles Masterson, 36, with felony reckless conduct after his pistol went off in a Wal-Mart restroom. Masterson said he was pointing his Glock semiautomatic toward the ceiling, just as he had been taught was the safest thing to do when a gun wasn't being used. The precaution backfired when the gun discharged Tuesday night while Masterson was in the bathroom.

Police said the gunshot scared the wits out of a teenage Wal-Mart employee in the next stall. The young Wal-Mart worker told police Masterson put the gun back in his pants and walked out of the bathroom like nothing happened. Wal-Mart employees called police.

Police charged him for putting the teenage employee in danger. Masterson's 13-year-old son also was in the bathroom.

He was jailed overnight but released Wednesday after a court appearance.
Old September 9, 2006, 06:06 PM   #35
orionengnr

Quote:
after his pistol went off in a Wal-Mart restroom. Masterson said...
Yeah, damn Glocks. They just go off all the time, don't they?
Old September 10, 2006, 01:02 AM   #36
Dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspiff
I use my ninja boots to climb up the walls, so I can get a good view of what other people are doing. It makes them nervous, and if thats not enough to make them scurry out of the bathroom, realizing I am dropping bombs five feet over the bowl (my accuracy is about 64% and improving) assures I can finish my business in peace.
LMAO!

MY CHP instructor told us about a Maryland State Trooper who was knocked out by a guy who smashed his face into the flush valve of the urinal at a rest stop. The perp only took the Trooper's boots. Makes you think twice about using a urinal.

I personally carry IWB and have given the matter a deal of thought. I try to avoid using public toilets if I can, and have not had to exercise any of these methods yet. Laying the gun or holster anywhere but my pants would not be my preference. I believe someone in another thread dealing with this subject called it the IUC holster- Inside the Underwear Crotch.
Old September 10, 2006, 05:23 AM   #37
shooter_john

Whenever I MUST use a public restroom for #2, I got to the last stall (usually a handicap) and I will tuck the pistol and holster between the safety rail and the wall. This method is secure, sturdy, and out of view of passers-by.
Old September 10, 2006, 07:50 AM   #38
Geoff Timm

A Federal LEO of my acquaintance carried a 2" .38 M&P in a snap on inside waist band holster. When he went to the facility he always used a stall with a locking door and if he had to sit, he unsnapped the holster and placed the holstered gun into the breast pocket of his shirt. Of course he was a large shouldered man.

Died of cancer a few years back.

Geoff
Who misses ya Red!
Old September 11, 2006, 12:32 PM   #39
Duxman

+1 to Shooter Johns techniques.

That handicap rail is good times.

And with regards to folks who forget their firearms. Because they rested it on top of the toilet lid etc.

Whenever I go out into the world - and even in my home for that matter, I know where each and everyone of my guns are. This is just out of concern for my fellow man and being a responsible gun owner.

That means - no cell phone calls in the bathroom, or taking notes, or thinking about the pretty waitress. Because what eventually happens is, you forget you are carrying and leave your gun behind.

A little awareness and a lot of responsibility goes a long way.
Old September 11, 2006, 03:34 PM   #40
tegemu

Putting the gun in the crotch of your underwear sounds good but what do you suggest for boxer wearers?
Old September 11, 2006, 04:17 PM   #41
jcoiii

I have a belly band for my weapon. I just pull it up around my stomach/chest area

I do not aim with my hand.......
Old September 11, 2006, 04:49 PM   #42
FireBreather01

Quote:
I can have my hand on my little friend all the time.
You're referring to your gun???
Old September 11, 2006, 04:57 PM   #43
smooks75

Quote:
MY CHP instructor told us about a Maryland State Trooper who was knocked out by a guy who smashed his face into the flush valve of the urinal at a rest stop. The perp only took the Trooper's boots. Makes you think twice about using a urinal.
Just ask any state Corrections officer if he will ever use a urinal again. I for one will not. I was a trainee, once upon a time, and I was bloodied and felt stupid. Never again!
Old September 25, 2006, 12:30 AM   #44
PinnedAndRecessed

Well, they're also talking about it over here:

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=594249

Personally, I think you should just hold it in your teeth. Kind of like a pirate with a knife.
Old September 25, 2006, 02:18 AM   #45
Bud Helms

So. I think we've had enough of this.

If you come along during wakeful hours and see this thread closed, I can only say, you should have been here in the wee hours. You'd understand.

It looks like Bathroom Carry threads will go the way of SHTF and TEOTWAWKI threads ... don't even bother.
Closed Thread