The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 31, 2002, 01:01 AM   #1
yankytrash

First timer - Professional range and IPSC

Got back from my first IPSC match today. It was my first time ever to real shootin range too; so, of course, it was my first time competing. It's a far cry from shootin in farm fields and woods, let me tell ya....

This country boy really hates the whole safety routine. I guess, though, considering the number of new shooters out there, a heavy lean on the safety aspect of the sport is necessary. It's gonna take me awhile to get used to this "180 degree" plane. Got popped for breaking that twice today.

One break of the plane was minor, and just got me subtracted a little. The second time was pretty major, for them. I was on my last mag for the round, and had a FTF. Dropped the mag quick, inserted the next, and finished my last 6 shots. A little disgusted at the FTF, I dropped my strong arm to my side, pistola muzzle down, turned, and the RO almost wee-weed in his Dockers. He grabbed my arm and acted like I was going to shoot'im or something. He kept yelling, "WHOAWHOAWHOA!! DOWNRANGE, DOWNRANGE!!", but all the while wouldn't get his dang hand from underneath my elbow so I could do so. Had to switch hands and grab the gun barrel and point it downrange so he would let go of me.

Think I'll do that again? Lesson learned: "RO make wee-wee when gun not pointed downrange. Yank get no points. No points bad, very bad." Maybe I will make it a point to introduce myself to the RO before the next match, and tell him, rest-assured, that I'm not gonna freak out and shoot him if I have a minor equipment malfunction.

We had something like 6 stages today, with, what I assume to be, the usual mixture of poppers, targets, and a couple plates.

I had a little trouble on one stage that required kneeling - I've got some 1-week-old torn ligaments in my strongside knee, and that made it impossible to take a stance of any sorts. I'll do better on that one next time around, if they have it again.

The rest of it was pretty fun. Runnin, shootin, all close range, how can you go wrong?

Misses, that's how. Found out hitting the target once and missing on the second shot is almost as bad as just sittin the entire stage out. Yank did terrible at "double taps", mostly when it involved weakside shooting. Gotta work on that. "C-C" is much better than "A-miss".

My times were horrible, but not as bad as I expected. I'm no Todd Jarret (Garret? Garett? Schmerit?.... ), but I ain't too shabby for the first time out. Definitely gotta work on mag changes. I bought a cheapo mag pouch for the match, and never strapped it on until the morning of the match. Only had 2 days' notice, so practice wasn't an option. I'll keep the cheapo mag pouch, and just get better with it. I think it makes other shooters there roll their eyes, and shock factor of doing well with subpar equipment should be half the fun.

Speaking of equipment, them raceguns. What in God's creation would make somebody buy such an atrocity of metallurgy and plastic? What's the use? For a couple one or two hundred rounds a month? I don't know guys. I won't be winnin any competitions with my stock 1911, but at least I can wear it with pride to the 7-11 after the match.

I definitely need a holster. I was using my daily-use holster: Hi-Ride Galco with thumb-break. I really like the holster for daily use, but I was seriously outgunned by everyone else at the match. They were using these "I wanna let a BG grab my gun" holsters. You know the kind - the gun's muzzle is balanced on a little piece of plastic, and the gun is held upright by light pressure on the trigger gaurd. I don't think I'll go that deep, but a holster with a little more forward cant and no thumbreak may do me some good at the next match. I've had my eye on a sweet duty-type Galco with the specs I'm looking for, and it's suitable for daily carry use. It's got them tension screw thingys.

Fun? Damn right it was fun. I'm gonna be at the next one with bells on, and perhaps a new holster too. I don't really like the public range attitude of every person in the place being considered an AD waiting to happen, but perhaps I'm a little to naive and countryfried in my ways. I'll get used to the distrust shown to shooters eventually, and everything should go a little smoother next time.

Hope to see you there.

PS - I know it's killin you to know... I placed something like 63 out of 64. I beat that sucker that had to carry his oxygen bottle up to the targets. Next time, I'm going for the old lady in the wheel chair's slot. Todd Garret (Merit? Zerit? Ferret? ): Lookout, you're next!!
Old March 31, 2002, 08:37 AM   #2
kbear38S

Quote:
It's gonna take me awhile to get used to this "180 degree" plane. Got popped for breaking that twice today.
You don't get to do that twice at any of the clubs I shoot at. One 180 infraction is match DQ which is per both USPSA and IPSC rules. At our club 3 safety DQs means you don't shoot at our club again, ever.

Quote:
Speaking of equipment, them raceguns. What in God's creation would make somebody buy such an atrocity of metallurgy and plastic?
Gotta drive one to know. Kinda like comparing Michael Schumacher's F1 Ferrari to a van down by the river; it's why they call them race guns. FWIW, I know at least 1 mfg of who's sold quite a few to Spec Ops groups of at least 3 foreign countries.

Quote:
I had a little trouble on one stage that required kneeling
The RO should let you shoot from another position and take some penalty point. It's an allowable exception for disabilities.

Quote:
Fun? Damn right it was fun.
Shhhhhhhhhh! We're trying to keep the crowds down.

Quote:
I definitely need a holster.
Consider a Blade-Tech (or other mfg) Kydex holster and some matching mag holders. The Kydex holsters are availabe in a variety of cants, some are adjustable. Uncle Mikes sells one for $25 and I've seen them as low as $14 - same for their double mag holder. That way you can have a full (almost) race rig without spending big $$$.
Old March 31, 2002, 09:32 AM   #3
motorep

Are you sure this was a sanctioned match, or just an IPSC-style match? There are no provisions in the rules for taking a few points for a "minor" 180 and more points for a "major" 180. The only action is a required DQ for unsafe gun handling.Were you given any kind of "intro to IPSC" course or at least some kind of explanation of the rules?
Keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction is basic gun handling. Letting the gun "fall to your side" may be okay to you but, chances are, it was probably covering the RO's feet or legs. IPSC shooting is a lot of fun, I hope you enjoy it in the future.
Old March 31, 2002, 10:18 AM   #4
eerw

Safety is the major rule that we all follow. We shoot a lot of freestyle with a lot of variety...That is a lot of people shooting fast from different positions with different skill levels.

In our club section..like the others..a 180 infraction is a reason to sit down for the day.

We offer safety and familiarization class before a new shooter begins. This is to insure they understand the rules and have a fun time at their first match.

I am glad you had a fun time and will be back. That's what it's all about.

There are a lot of entry level holsters that are nice. I have heard and seen the Fobus, Uncle Mikes are very good..also bladetech, kytac make great stuff too.
Old March 31, 2002, 12:32 PM   #5
Navy joe

The more you shoot with people you don't know, the more you'll appreciate safety nazis like me. Nothing like the sound of a slide racking behind you to ruin your day. Look on the bright side, those same rules Dq'd one guy so you beat him and that guy in the wheelchair. Some little old lady too! The club had very god RO's who understand new shooters and nerves, Screaming at new guys for every little thing ensures they won't come back and eventually no one will and the sport dies. That's how a lot of accidents happen when someone gets pissed off and then gestures with a hot gun in their hand. I've come damn close to shooting somebody over that on an unsupervised range because the accidents tend to be rather permanent. Oh, I give you 6 months tops before you're buying parts for an STI.
Old March 31, 2002, 06:03 PM   #6
yankytrash

Quote:
Letting the gun "fall to your side" may be okay to you but, chances are, it was probably covering the RO's feet or legs.
Well then tell that RO to keep his feet or legs out from under me and my gun!! There's a basic safety rule I like to follow....

Jus kiddin.

This post was really more for the farmer croud like me that want to compete, but have never been to professional range before, like me.

Kind of a heads-up of sorts, to let them know what to expect in respects to safety and all. I was totally unprepared for that aspect of the game, and I wish I had a little more experience with it before I dove in head first.

I say now - if you farmboys want to compete, do yourself a favor and go shoot at some indoor range with a Range Nazi there watching your every move. It'll prepare you for what may be. Luckily for me, the RO's at my match were pretty easy-going, and very helpful. I got a bit of a cold shoulder after the major infraction, but they loosened right up when they saw me laughing about it (about an hour later...). Never gave it a second thought after that.

It's the most fun you can have with a gun and not be labelled as some kinda militia member.