The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 5, 2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Apom

How comfortable are you with your AR mag quantity??

I put a bunch of backorders in just days after SH as the panic was just gearing up.. Most of it has come in.. Waiting on 4 more lancer mags from midway..

Will this be enough for me for a potential lifetime?

7 - Lancer L5AWM FDE
6 - Pmags Gen 3 Black
3 - Pmags Gen 2 window
2 - Lancer L5 translucent
12 - Lancer L5AWM black
2 - Lancer L5AWM smoke

with the addition of 4 more..that puts me at 34. Would you be comfortable?

Note: All of my magazines were purchased from Brownells, Midway, Botach, and 1 order from Aim.com.

On another note.. the dang Lancer FDE mags are different in color and dont really match my B5 sopmod bravo FDE stock.

Last edited by Apom; March 5, 2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old March 5, 2013, 12:41 AM   #2
MagnumWill

I'm currently at:

1 Tapco 30rd, black
2 Gen3 Pmag 30rd, OD Green
5 Mako E-Lander 30rd steel mags
5 D&H grey aluminum 30rd, magpul followers
2 Magpul Gen2 20rd, black
3 more D&H's on a wait list since early Jan
4 magpul gen3 30rd, wait listed
1 more 20rd pmag, wait listed

So I'm at 23 if I receive all of them (CO resident living out of state ). I think it will be MORE than enough. I just dislike the fact that replacing them will be much harder than it needs to be.
Old March 5, 2013, 01:02 AM   #3
Apom

Today my girl checked her checking account and saw a random charge for 70 bucks from midway. Lol..mags i back ordered 2 months ago that I forgot about. She wanted to buy something. Boy did I get reamed for it.
Old March 5, 2013, 02:46 AM   #4
HKFan9

I have about 60 or so pmags... I think I would be ok
Old March 5, 2013, 02:56 AM   #5
jeffreyulatan

Wish I got my 08 FFL before all the panic buying. E-Lander in Israel was practically giving away 30 round magazines to find an importer in the US. Now looks like Themakogroup took advantage of that deal.
Old March 5, 2013, 03:06 AM   #6
Sport45

If you need more than that in your (and your kid's and grandkid's) lifetime you're doing something wrong.

JMHO.

I have 6 total between 2 AR's and don't imagine I'll buy another in my lifetime.
Old March 5, 2013, 06:03 AM   #7
Bartholomew Roberts

Depends on how much shooting and training you plan to do... Having said that, I've done quite a bit of shooting and I am still using a bunch of pre-94 black follower mags. So the chances of your mags being around to pass on to any grandchildren are decent.
Old March 5, 2013, 06:13 AM   #8
Brotherbadger

I have 4 Pmags and 1 PSA Mag. I'm not worried about mine dieing out in my lifetime(I'm 29). If i see a sale, i might pick up 2 or 3 more Pmags in a year or two. It isn't really a "need" for me though.
Old March 5, 2013, 07:05 AM   #9
Chowder

My AR that is still being built will never see combat. So I am comfortable with the 2 Pmags I got because everyone else was scooping up 20. I also have 2 of the brownells 20 rounders with there fancier spring or something like that (looks like a GI mag). and one 5 rounder for hunting. Do they make 20 round Pmags? I prefer the strait shorter mags myself.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:28 AM   #10
Steve in PA

I have 30 30-round magazines and about 20 20-round magazines. I'm okay with my supply. I'd like more, but need to keep my eyes open for reloading components.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:28 AM   #11
SR420

I think I have 6 or 8 mags for my AR... that's plenty.
Old March 5, 2013, 09:24 AM   #12
Skans

Quote:
I think I have 6 or 8 mags for my AR... that's plenty.

That's about what I have. I may buy a few more, but I have no need to hoard magazines for an AR.
Old March 5, 2013, 09:35 AM   #13
madcratebuilder

All my mags fell overboard on the last outing I did have two dozen, mostly gi with a few pmags. When mags are cheap they make good storage for ammo
Old March 5, 2013, 09:53 AM   #14
overhead

I found it cheaper to buy a bunch of replacement springs and some followers that can be put in the magazines I already own. I have 4 PMAGS and about 6 GI mags and I don't think I will have to worry about buying more.
Old March 5, 2013, 10:24 AM   #15
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument.
Old March 5, 2013, 10:36 AM   #16
Technosavant

I have more than anybody who has yet posted... split between 20 and 30 round mags.

To me, AR magazines are consumable limited life components. They fail... more readily than magazines for many other guns. They're also cheaper. It's easy to stock up. While a half dozen may last you for years they won't last forever. Once those feed lips crack or bend it's time to just toss it. I have no intention of being caught low on mags if mine break.

I figure I have more AR mags than I can use in several lifetimes. But then, I remembered 1994-2004 and prepared accordingly. If the day comes when I can no longer get a new one I'm STILL well prepared. I had these long before the current panic. The folks who just now realized they might want a good supply are just plain late to the party.
Old March 5, 2013, 11:39 AM   #17
Venom1956

Quote:
If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument
C'mon he wins this one!
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 5, 2013, 12:06 PM   #18
No_Use_

Have 10 pmag (gen2) on hand... when the gen3 will get avaible here I probably get some more just in case!
Old March 5, 2013, 12:13 PM   #19
tahunua001

in 5.56 I have:
13 USGI 30 rounders,
3 USGI 20 rounders
1 20 round cprod that works fine
1 isreali polymer mag that looks ancient and when i found it was fully loaded with ammo that was corroding in place.... had to fire it all to empty it and the mag has yet to fail me since...

in 9mm I have:
1 metalform 32 rounder
1 metalform 20 rounder(backordered midwayUSA)
1 promag 10 rounder for hunting

every magazine functions 100% and I am quite happy, especially with the 9mm 10 rounder.
do I have a lifetime supply? hell yes I do, I don't shoot that much anymore.
Old March 5, 2013, 12:23 PM   #20
NWPilgrim

Quote:
I have more than anybody who has yet posted... split between 20 and 30 round mags.

To me, AR magazines are consumable limited life components. They fail... more readily than magazines for many other guns. They're also cheaper. It's easy to stock up. While a half dozen may last you for years they won't last forever. Once those feed lips crack or bend it's time to just toss it. I have no intention of being caught low on mags if mine break.

I figure I have more AR mags than I can use in several lifetimes. But then, I remembered 1994-2004 and prepared accordingly. If the day comes when I can no longer get a new one I'm STILL well prepared. I had these long before the current panic. The folks who just now realized they might want a good supply are just plain late to the party.
Ditto. I had about 20 leading up to the 1994 ban, then afterward started accumulating some every year. I plan to leave each of my grandkids an AR15 rifle and at least 30 mags each, just in case they are no longer available then.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 5, 2013, 12:31 PM   #21
HKFan9

Quote:
If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument.
Agreed however my 60 are for a few reasons. I work in the industry and run my AR's a lot. I too believe they are a general replacement part that go bad. Generally speaking 90% of issues you run into an AR is caused by bad magazines. Pmags simply hold up better than the metal GI mags in my experience, however they too, don't last a lifetime with the amount I shoot.

Also I try to keep at least 6 mags for each one of my AR's.
Old March 5, 2013, 12:36 PM   #22
kayakersteve

i print my own

just made a dozen this morning
Old March 5, 2013, 04:51 PM   #23
tahunua001

Quote:
kayakersteve posted
i print my own
just made a dozen this morning
Ahh I see what you did there....
Old March 5, 2013, 05:21 PM   #24
EdInk

I have about 25 of them. I think it is a decent amount.
Old March 5, 2013, 05:51 PM   #25
viciouskitty

I have 13 30 round mags a mix of pmags and usgi, then 3 20 round usgi mags and 3 lancer 20 rounders. Not enough but I plan to get another 30 or so once they come down in price