The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 22, 2012, 12:01 AM   #1
patsfan12

Iowa laws reguarding defense

I recently moved to Iowa and have been looking everywhere for laws reguarding home defense and cannot find much solid information. I have a crystal clear record, not even a speeding ticket. I also have a CCW license if it means anything reguarding my questions.

In the unfortunate event someone broke into my house in the middle of the night, Would it be legal for me to use lethal force? I know if the intruder saw me and ran out the door, there would be no reason to attempt to engage in such a thing, but lets say I was face to face with a bad guy in my home and he had a knife or gun of his own coming at me. I would obviously be in fear of loosing my life, so could I shoot the bad guy?

I just dont know what the laws are in Iowa and am hoping I will never be in such a position, but if it really hit the fan, what would legally happen? Hopfully someone can answer this for me incase some knucklehead kicks in my door while my family is sleeping some night
Old July 22, 2012, 12:03 AM   #2
BarryLee

Sorry, don't really know, but maybe this will help.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 22, 2012, 07:29 AM   #3
J A

IFC

Go to the Iowa Firearms Coalition web site. Should find what you need there. Great organization to join if you live in Iowa. They have been front and center on gunlaw reforms in the state. www.iowacarry.org

Last edited by J A; July 22, 2012 at 07:32 AM. Reason: added link
Old July 22, 2012, 08:35 AM   #4
J A

PS

Welcome to the board!
Old July 22, 2012, 09:08 AM   #5
jason_iowa

Iowa has a castle doctrine. You can defend your family and property with deadly force if you deem necessary.

Iowa does not have a stand your ground law so outside of your home if you use deadly force when you have a "reasonable" means of escape or evasion you could be in trouble.

Iowa is a very gun friendly state in my opinion other then no class 3 stuff but that is a farce anyway the 68 law is unconstitutional as far as I'm concerned anyway. Second amendment says nothing about sporting use but ill get off my soap box.

Welcome to iowa.
Old July 22, 2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Shane Tuttle
Staff

If you are in a position to have no choice but to fire your gun to stop the assailant, per Iowa law you're performing a legal and just act.

Bear in mind, I'm not an attorney. But this is the trend here and I myself am confident the law will be in my side if the unfortunate happens.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting