The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 19, 2012, 11:01 AM   #1
L2R

my first IDPA training class

Been shooting most of my life. A lot of skeet, trap.
Owned pistols for 30 years.
Started hunting at age 10, with a 410 hunting pheasant.
I have had a cc for over 10 years.

I got my first opportunity to attend an IDPA intro class.
WOW, what an eye opening experience.
class of 6 with 2 instructors for 4 hours.

I would suggest if you can find one take it.
Even an old dog can learn new tricks.

I very much believe we have rights but I also have thought long and hard about being responsible as well.

We have much more training when learning to drive a car and then practice everyday of our lives thereafter (for most of us).

A public thanks all those who take time to show others how to enjoy our rights and hobbies, better and safer.

Last edited by L2R; February 20, 2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old February 19, 2012, 11:06 PM   #2
Steviewonder1

IDPA is fine for a Gun Gaming Course with it's limitations and limiting rules. I carry a gun that holds 15 rounds and have taken 4 "Gun Fighting Courses" in the last 2 years on 360 degree ranges where the guns are loaded all of the time and hot all of the time. Square ranges are fine, but when you move into the real world that IDPA says it does, there are some issues that come to mind, mainly 10 round mag limits and the use of cover. I also shoot IPSC which has many different classes and does not have the restrictions that IDPA has. I have a Life Membership in USPSA and no membership in IDPA. This is my opinion. I prefer to shoot on a 360 degree range with folks that also have a very good foundation in advanced shooting skills. I carry a CCW gun with 15+1 ammo in it. When I shoot IDPA, I cannot load more than 10+1?? This picture was done many years ago because of the Clinton Magazine issues and California. I don't live there and shoot and load all I can carry in my state and in competetion.
Old February 19, 2012, 11:45 PM   #3
CarlosDJackal

Due to a chronic injury, I have not been able shoot the IDPA as much as I used to. About 11-years ago I even wrote and thaught, in a semi-annual basis, and Introduction to the IDPA class which was well received by both novice and experienced shooters and competitors. The primary purpose of the course was to educate anyone who was interested in participating in the IDPA about the scoring, the equipment rules, and other nuiances about this sport.

The last time I shot anything USPSA related was a 3-gun match about 9-years ago. IMHO, the USPSA is counter to survival since the non-use of cover is actually advantageous to a shooter. Plus the equipment you must have to be competitive is not the type you can use on the street or on duty nor do they require the use of cover (who in their right mind would carry a tricked-out 1911 with a compensator, a half dozen magazines, topped off with a red dto scope and carried in a skeleton holster?).

If you expect to receive any kind of "training" while competing in the IDPA (or USPSA, for that matter) you will probably be disappointed. These are shooting games, not real life. As I tell my students, if you want realism go to downtown DC or someplace like that and start something with the local gang-bangers.

The best you can get out of either IDPA or USPSA is practice under pressure. I have seen Combat Veterans with multiple tours and firefights under their belts and Police Officers who have been in numerous gunfights succumb to the sound of the shot timer's buzzer. It's amazing how much artificial stress can mess up a person's peformance.

Whether or not you shoot IDPA or something else, it is important to approach it in the proper manner. It's probably the best practice and one of the best venues for testing one's skill and equipment. JM2CW.
Old February 20, 2012, 08:35 AM   #4
Don P

Quote:
but when you move into the real world that IDPA says it does, there are some issues that come to mind, mainly 10 round mag limits and the use of cover. I also shoot IPSC which has many different classes and does not have the restrictions that IDPA has. I have a Life Membership in USPSA and no membership in IDPA. This is my opinion. I prefer to shoot on a 360 degree range with folks that also have a very good foundation in advanced shooting skills. I carry a CCW gun with 15+1 ammo in it. When I shoot IDPA, I cannot load more than 10+1?? This picture was done many years ago because of the Clinton Magazine issues and California. I don't live there and shoot and load all I can carry in my state and in competetion.
IDPA has kept the discipline from becoming USPSA equipment wise and who can have the biggest, best, most capacity and expensive stuff . Out of the box guns that is case have been manufactured to single stack magazines. As far as unloaded guns goes at a match most ranges do not have 360 degree shooting bays and with new shooters coming into the IDPA regularly do you really want an inexperienced shooter behind you with loaded guns? As far as USPSA ans IDPA its apples and oranges.
IDPA aimed toward CCW and USPSA as track and field with a gun.
They are trying to keep thing equal to a point.
Person A shows up with 1911 single stack 8+1
Person B shows up with 1911 double stack 14+1
Who has the advantage? Just trying to keep things equal
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 20, 2012, 07:04 PM   #5
L2R

Quote:
IDPA is fine for a Gun Gaming Course with it's limitations and limiting rules. I carry a gun that holds 15 rounds and have taken 4 "Gun Fighting Courses" in the last 2 years on 360 degree ranges where the guns are loaded all of the time and hot all of the time. Square ranges are fine, but when you move into the real world that IDPA says it does, there are some issues that come to mind, mainly 10 round mag limits and the use of cover. I also shoot IPSC which has many different classes and does not have the restrictions that IDPA has. I have a Life Membership in USPSA and no membership in IDPA. This is my opinion. I prefer to shoot on a 360 degree range with folks that also have a very good foundation in advanced shooting skills. I carry a CCW gun with 15+1 ammo in it. When I shoot IDPA, I cannot load more than 10+1?? This picture was done many years ago because of the Clinton Magazine issues and California. I don't live there and shoot and load all I can carry in my state and in competetion.
All I wanted to do was say thank you to those who volunteer their time and appreciative that I am able to improve my skills.
Didn't realize this training wasn't in the real world or it was so many levels beneath others. Thanks for the update. I feel much better now. LOL

Last edited by L2R; February 20, 2012 at 07:18 PM.