The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 16, 2011, 05:29 PM   #1
Dutch1911

Remington 870 Super Magnum

I have some questions... as I'm new to the whole bird hunting thing... upland game, Goose duck...
Last summer I sold a Winchester 1300 Light that I did some work on and had that bad boy cycling like you wouldn't believe. Sold it for a bit more than I paid for it.
Being a Remington Armorer... I decided what the hell... Go Remington. I ordered a Police Magnum High Polish Blue with Walnut furniture... BEAUTIFUL WEAPON!!!
Now I don't want to buy barrels for it to take hunting. I use it for 3 gun and teaching at POST etc. And of course always ready to go for home defense.
Ok... so i'm looking to buy a Super Magnum to cover all areas of ammunition and game. I was originally looking for a 26" barrel... and am finding the 28" barrels dominate in the sales market to the point the 26 are difficult to find. Around here the super mag variety goes for 349.99 I'm good with that.
Would I be remiss to special order a 26"?
Thoughts and opinions from the Fowling community would really be appreciated.

Thank you in advance folks...

Dutch1911

If you aren't shooting, you better be loading.
If you aren't loading, you better be movin'.
If you aren't moving, someone's gonna cut your head off and put it on a stick.
Old October 16, 2011, 07:18 PM   #2
jmr40

I'd just buy the standard 3" chambered gun. They are easily available with the 26" barrel. The only justification for shooting the 3.5" shells is if you are a dedicated goose hunter and you shoot ammo by the case.

The 2.75" shells will cover 75% of anyones hunting needs and the 3" shells another 20%. With large 3" steel shot you may find yourself at a bit of a handicap on long range geese. This is where the 3.5" shells are a help. But if you only find yourself doing this occasionally just buy the more expensive non-toxic shot in 3". They are more expensive than 3.5" steel, but even better. If you find yourself buying it by the case then shooting 3.5" steel starts making sense.
Old October 16, 2011, 08:21 PM   #3
BoomieMCT

+1 on what JMR said. 3.5" is if you need to shoot a lot of steel, although some turkey hunters like 3.5" too (not me).
Old October 17, 2011, 07:01 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I've managed to get along without a 3.5" Super Maggies Numb, but then I'm only 65.

If you're determined to shoot steel at long geese, then the 3.5" version makes a little sense. Otherwise, the 3" version will cover things well.

Also, the Hevishot 2s load in 3" is as effective a goose load as I've yet seen, but it's pricey.