The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 13, 2010, 11:38 AM   #26
cnimrod

this is impressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwCDB7g43_8

After viewing this a few years back I have hung my deer in the woods to field dress it. gravity helps a lot. Skinning is definitely easy when the deer is fresh killed but we leave the skin on till we drag it out and by then we're ready for a beer. being in the NE it's usually cold enough to let it hang a while before we skin it. Hey its work, but God awful honest work.

good luck and safe hunting all
Old November 13, 2010, 12:12 PM   #27
taylorce1

I was given a Kodi Pak by a friend it has a Skinner with gut hook, caper, and saw all in the same kit. I use the big skinner's gut hook all the time I like it but I've skinned out plenty of animals without one. Find what works for you, I use the caper the most even for skinning the small blade is easier to work IMO.
Old November 13, 2010, 08:22 PM   #28
Doyle

If you really want to try a guthook but don't want to lay out the bucks for a knife with one, get an ordinary utility knife at the hardware store (the kind with the retractable blade) and put a roofing blade in it. The roofing blades are hooked for cutting shingles and look like a miniature gut hook. They zip through the skin of a hog very well without cutting the meat underneath. I use one side for one hog, turn it around for the next hog, then toss the blade away. No need to dull a good knife on thick hard skin.