The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2010, 11:07 PM   #26
qcpunk

Quote:
I'm only compulsive about finding expensive match brass or pricey big caliber stuff like .50 Beowulf or .50 DTC.
HAHA, What does a single casing of .50 Beowulf or DTC end up costing these days? $2.00? You better believe I would be going crazy trying to find every single casing if I shot .50 caliber too.
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." --Abraham Lincoln
Old April 2, 2010, 12:04 AM   #27
medalguy

Do you ever wake up from a dream where you finally locate that LAST round of lost brass, then get mad because it's ONLY a dream, and that piece of brass is still out there?
Old April 2, 2010, 12:23 AM   #28
mdripley

I will not leave the range until every last case is accounted for and recovered.
Old April 2, 2010, 08:45 AM   #29
Elkins45

I'm the same way, especially in the case (no pun intended) where you have a set of 50 that have been fired and processed together and you lose one. Than means you have to introduce a newer case into the mix that may be from a different lot, have different volume, etc.

It's not so bad for handguns, but it is a pain for rifles.
Old April 2, 2010, 11:48 PM   #30
cheezhed

I have made up a net that extends across my bench when I shoot my mini 14 and it catches 99.9 percent of the brass that I shoot. That saves me so much time I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner. I also love it when someone doesn't reload and leaves the brass for me once I found nearly 500 pieces of .45 auto brass in the grass of my range and a month ago the indoor range let me take home a box of their sweep up and I had 974 pieces of .45 auto and a lot of other calibers too. I felt like a little kid walking out of there.
Old April 3, 2010, 02:37 AM   #31
sonick808

i freakin cleaned house today!

I was at scottsdale gun club for 3 hours or so, and I was the only reloader of the 20 lanes right of the RO bench. Having verified this, the RO swept EVERYTHING into my bag for 2+ hours before another fellow took over. JACKPOT!!!!!!!

Every time i bust out my blue dillon ammo boxes with all my cartridges X'd with marker on the rear, at least 2 people offer me their brass. Inevitably it's 9mm and 40sw; the latter of which I shoot the most; the former the second most frequent.

Use obvious reloading equipment at the range and gifts will find you!
Old April 3, 2010, 07:24 AM   #32
troy_mclure

im happy to recover 40% some places i shoot.

thats a bit painfull for 10mm tho @ $170/1k shipped.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old April 3, 2010, 08:45 AM   #33
mapsjanhere

I shoot at a private-member only range, and bring a little rake and shovel to remove all the old steel and rimfire crap first so I can find my brass