The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 2, 2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Shadowstalker

Reloading Newbie

Well after seeing some of the many benefits of reloading from a couple of friends, I'm going to give it a try. A friend loaded me some .223 rds a couple of years ago that when I do my part I can get 1" groups at 300yds. After reading countless posts on this site the last few weeks, I settled on the following:
Hornady Lock n Load Classic Kit
Hornady 7mm Rem Mag Die Set
Hornady .338 Win Mag Die Set
Hornady .40 cal 3 Die Set
Hornady ,223 Rem Die Set
Shell Holders for all 4 calibers
3 sets of extra bushings

I got all of it thru Cabela's for 431.00 after their coupon of $75.00 off for spending more than 500.00; and they waived the $20.00 shipping since their price on the Classic Kit was $30.00 higher than a couple of other retailers. They are sometimes higher in their prices but they were great to work with and I think I got a decent price for everything.
Also, Hornady has a rebate of 500 bullets for the buying the Kit, and possibly 100 bullets for each of the die sets.
I'm sure I'll be asking some dumb questions, so forgive me in advance. Any advice will be much appreciated. I'm starting with the book first.
Old April 2, 2010, 04:06 PM   #2
SatCong

Get "a few" manuals.
A digital caliper is useful to insure all dimensions are "in spec" on your loaded rounds and components.
Digital scales are imminently more readable than a balance beam.
Lube for your rifle cases is a must.
Like-wise is the case trimmer for fired brass.

SatCong
Old April 2, 2010, 04:11 PM   #3
jaybirdjtski

http://www.larrywillis.com/

The belted magnum collet resizing die and the digital headspacing gauge.
Old April 2, 2010, 04:31 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

The Hornady Unique case lube, since you like that brand, is particularly effective. Better than their spray lube.

I have over a dozen load manuals and still refer to them all at one time or another, plus using the powder company on-line data and QuickLOAD. You don't need to go quite that crazy. I would buy one good one, like the Lyman #49, then use the online resources as adjuncts. In a year or so, if you have particular bullet preferences, you can get that maker's manual, to give you another brand. If you buy one a year or so, it isn't too hurtful to the pocketbook.

I was going to suggest looking at used copies on Amazon and Alibris, but the used book sellers all seem to want more than the price of a new one. They must be learning from e-bay.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; April 2, 2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Fixed lost train of thought.
Old April 2, 2010, 04:53 PM   #5
Shadowstalker

Thanks All for the suggestions; Please keep them coming
Old April 2, 2010, 07:40 PM   #6
Shoney

After reading a couple of manuals cover to cover, search for a mentor. If you have a shooting range or "gun club" near you, go there. Watch, observe, and ask if there are any knowledgable people who would be willing to mentor you.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111