The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 18, 1999, 10:51 AM   #1
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Went to a 5 stage shoot yesterday. Had a ball. Don't know where I finished in ranking and really don't much care.
Anyway, of the five stages, one was shotgun only. Two standard poppers interspersed within four "tombstone" poppers that ejected clay birds when hit. But you had to watch which poppers you shot so that you didn't come up short when the bird flew! Very fun, quick stage.
The team stage was a two person affair. Started by one person holding a approximately 3 foot 1x1 stake while the other uses a sledgehammer to drive into ground enough so that it stands upright (penalty if it falls during the stage). Each person takes turns firing at three reactive targets (one side blue & one grey) with their rifle, all this from about 20 - 25 yds. The first shooter then fires at a bank of twelve (color dependent upon results of first part of shoot) using the remainder of rifle (10 rounds rifle total) then the second shooter uses the opposite color. After setting the rifles down both advance to about the 10 yd line and finish off with revolver where they left off.
Another stage started off seated with 2 revolvers and a shotgun on table, one hand holding a shotglass and the other hand holding playing cards. At the beep, yell "you ain't feedin' me any of that rotgut whiskey", fire across the table at two clay birds rigged into clever cardboard cutouts, then three plates located 10 yds downrange offset to about 11 o'clock. Then pick up the shotgun and dispatch three poppers next to the steel, then pick up second revolver and fire all five shots into steel again, but no double tapping.
The next stage required a rifle and two revolvers also. You started sitting in a chair, then moved up to a house wall (two windows and a doorframe). Engage five steel from first window, range about 12 yds. Move to door and engage five steel silhouettes twice each, range about 25 yds. Then move to second window and engage last five steel targets and about 12 yds again.
My favorite stage used two revolvers, shotgun and rifle. Sitting in "buckboard", getting "ambushed" pick up first revolver from tray in front of shooter. Engage five steel 'renegades', pick up shotgun and engage six poppers. Then pick up second revolver and engage five renegades again. Then pick up rifle and engage five silhouettes twice each at around 35 yds. This must all be shot while holding the "reins" of the "horse".
All in all a great shoot. Had several first-time shooters. Total was between 45 and 50 shooters, four possees. We even had a group drive up from Memphis to just outside of St Louis to shoot. Am thinking of attending their monthly shoot later.
Old July 18, 1999, 02:14 PM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy,

Sounds like you had a blast! One of the beauties of CAS is that the shooting can be so varied-not just from match to match,but from stage to stage as well.

We had our monthly match yesterday,as well. Had a good time,except for the heat and humidity. It makes you wonder how those cowboys did back in the old days,before AC and ice machines

Bellicose Bill
Old July 23, 1999, 02:20 AM   #3
Long Path

I think they wore less, stank more, and tried to fight less!

I may have to get me a rig set up, this thang sounds fun.

What's the cutoff on when an action or style can have been made? For example, can I get me a M-94 and call it appropriate? How'bout a '98 Mauser? What about a broomhandle Mauser? Pump shotguns in any configuration?

I know you can have Vaqueros, so is the clearly not of-period .44 Mag allowed (shooting specials, of course)?

What are the caliber restrictions? I've noticed Cowboy loads are typically pooooooofters. No Major designations? What about taking a .357 M-92?

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited July 23, 1999).]
Old July 23, 1999, 08:46 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

It's a great time. Most of the CAS shooters around here are not gamers, so I don't think that many really care too much where they end up in the standings. That's one reason I like it so much. For local matches, not everyone even dresses up (or down). Lots of shooters showed up in jeans and t-shirts (it was hot).

As per weapons. Cutoff is, generally speaking, around 1899. If it's an antique or a reporduction or fascimile of an antique it's generally legal.

Lever action rifles generally use handgun ammunition. That is no 30-30s are allowed. Typical examples would include 1894 Marlin, Winchester 94 (handgun calibers), Rossi 92, the Italian Henry copy and quite a few original Winchester 1873, 1876, 1886, 1892, 1894s, Marlin 1881,1887, Spencers, Whitneys, etc. Though at the local level, the Marlins, modern Winchesters, and the Rossi dominates.

Rifle caliber lever actions can be used in long-range rifle stages but more folks use period single-shots. I've got a rebuilt Rolling Block myself for that purpose. This is where the 30-30 would be used, if that's all you had.

As for shotguns, anything with an exposed hammer is generally okay. Also double-barrls without an ejector are legal. That would include 1887 and 1901 Winchesters (lever action), 1893 1897 etc Marlins, 1897 Winchesters (pump action), Rossi Coach Guns, Stevens 311 series, Stoeger Coach Guns (double barrels with and without external hammers) just to name a few of each style.

Handguns must be single action revolvers only. No double action (even if original such as Colt Lightening or Thunderer, Smith & Wesson double actions, etc) or autoloading pistols of any sort are allowed.

The only exception to these rules would be side matches that are weapon specific. Stages such as a Wild Bunch stage or a Black Jack Pershing vs. Pancho Villa stage(good for the Mauser).

I believe the caliber restriction is a minimum of .32 caliber. All ammunition must be lead, no jacketed bullets are allowed anywhere in any match that I've ever seen or heard of. In CAS there is no minimum velocity for ammunition but there is a maximum; for revolvers it is 1000 fps and for rifles it is 1400 fps.

Generally to shoot a full match requires a shotgun, (handgun caliber) rifle and two revolvers. Long range rifle knife throwing, tomahawk throws and derringer are usually side matches, independent of the main match.

If you don't have all the weapons necessary, it's usually no problem. At this last match we had three new shooters in our possee of 10 people. Four people shared one of the revolvers. I brought along an extra Super Blackhawk against just such an eventuality but they all prefered to shoot their friend's Colt. Every match I've been to there has been sharing of weapons. At my first match I borrowed a total stranger's shotgun. He just asked that I return it after the match. You can't get much friendlier than that.

All in all, go to a local match. They're a ball. The people are really laid back and easy going at these affairs, except when it comes to safety. This is the only shooting game where I've seen loading and unloading tables for every stage of every match. In local matches, the rest of the posse are usually your ROs, timers, etc. If you don't dress up or have all the gear necessary, chances are someone will help out.
Old July 23, 1999, 11:20 AM   #5
Trapdoor Billy

Everything FAL308 told ya is basically true. There are some exceptions. CAS, is a generic term, there are many organization, SASS being the most widely known, then NCOWS, and then ther is WASA. NCOWS is the strictest, no new lever guns with cross bolt safety allowed. WASA is a little more open. Anything pre 1899 is usable. That includes .30 Mauser handguns, 93 & 95 Mausers, Mo0del 95 Winchesters in appropriate calibers #5 Rolling Blocks, just gotta shoot lead. All three of the above groups got web pages with rules of the road on um. Great Sport.
Old July 25, 1999, 01:48 AM   #6
Long Path

WOW! Thanks for all the info, guys! My only problem now is that I need to come up with a coach gun cheap. Well, it would be nice not to have to borrow my dad's Blackhawk. And there is that little matter of coming up with a '92; All I have is Trapper '94 in .30-30.

So, really, I need to get to the gun shows and start haggling, first.
Old July 25, 1999, 10:39 AM   #7
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Around here in local matches they usually allow newer shooters to use whatever pump gun they've got. If all you have is a Mossberg 500, they usually will allow it as long as you only load two at a time. Or go without a shotgun, someone on the possee will be sure to let you borrow theirs, I'm sure.
Old July 26, 1999, 06:16 AM   #8
Trapdoor Billy

Yes sir, Cowboys is a friendly bunch. Lend ya the shirt off their back. Last shoot here, fella showed up in jeans and a hat - wanted to shoot. Well he ended up with a borrowed pair of boots, 2 pistols, a rifle and a shotgun, and belt rig. Didn't do real well, but did ok, and had a BIG smile on his face all-day.

------------------
Trapdoor Billy
Indian Scout and Delaware Cowboy