The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 5, 2012, 11:19 AM   #1
sdurr

win 223 brass

first-off i am new to reloading. i bought 100 rds of new win 223 brass,
first reload i fl sized using forster die. fired those with no problem. reloaded
the once fired brass using a lee collet neck size die with all steps the same
as before,this time the bolt on my savage rifle was very hard to open.
i have reloaded once fired hornady,lc brass using the same steps as above,
powder charge,setting depth, primers all the same with no problems.also
trimed all cases to 1.750 anyone have any help.

THANKS MUCH
STEVE
Old December 5, 2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Jerry45

Was it hard to open on all the cases or just some. My savage, actually the Wife's savage, will do that on a couple of cases every-time I shoot it. Everything measure the same on the cases but the bolt is "harder" to work on some. I've noticed that while the diameter of the base of the case measure no different from the rest of the cases some want to stick in the shell holder in my Lee Hand Primer also. I just get aggressive with the bolt. If it chambers it shoots and gets yanked out. Nothing has broken yet and if it does I'll fix it.

I anneal and FLS on the first loading then every 5th. loading and neck size, with a Lee die in-between. Inside of the necks gets brushed (nylon brush) length checked and primer pockets cleaned every loading.

The Bolts on all my/our Savage's are harder to work than our other rifles.

Someone on this board gave me a tip a few months ago so I'll pass it on. When necking sizing with the Lee neck sizing die hold it for a count of five then rotate the shell between 60° and 180° and hold for another five count. I can actually feel the difference in neck tension when I do the second hold.