The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 16, 2007, 12:29 AM   #1
after5x

outdoor places to shoot in the denver metro area

who knows of any places to shoot or plink near denver?
ive heard of shooting in left hand canyon but have never been there.

when i lived in california we used to go to a place called lytle creek, any places like that out here?

Old March 9, 2007, 02:31 PM   #2
veeref

If you don't mind paying, there are several places in Denver.

Here's a Department of Wildlife Website showing areas in/around the Denver area:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/...hootingRanges/

Regards,

~V
Old March 10, 2007, 01:03 AM   #3
Adventurer 2

Check a map on how to travel from Denver to Woodland Park, CO. Take the Highway from Woodland Park to Garden of the Gods. Just before Balancing Rock there is a dirt road, Rampart Range Road, take it. I don't remember how far in but you will not miss it - there is a free outdoor range. There are separate areas for shotguns, rifles, and pistols. It used to be you needed a four wheel drive to get here but the dirt road was graded about two years ago and any car can drive in now (the place is trashed beyond believe as a result).
There is a lesser used free, outdoor range, on Gold Camp Road (behind Cheyenne Mountain) but you probably need a 4 wheel drive to get to it.
Another outdoor area is just past the city of Evergreen. Driving past Evergreen from Denver, you turn left going towards the river (don't remember names just recognize it when I see it). Many miles down this road there is an area on the right hand side of the road where people shoot handguns into a dirt slope. This is the area where people cut down Christmas trees - maybe somebody else on this forum can further ID this location.
I know I have shot firearms in many different locations in the National Forests in CO. Call the Park Rangers and ask them about this.
Please carry your trash out with you, even if everyone else is leaving theirs. Help keep Colorado beautiful - that's my favorite state.
Old March 15, 2007, 09:14 AM   #4
Tadpole Starr

This is being brought before the Governor on the 22nd

There is a group meeting with the governor, and this will be an issue.

Here is a note about that:

During the campaign, Ritter promised to fix the scarcity of public shooting ranges in the Denver metro area. Seems doable.

"We believe we have money available in the DOW's budget," he said. "We are trying to find a metro-area location that will involve a new shooting range run by the state under the auspices of the DOW."

Keep tight lines