The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 15, 2010, 04:51 PM   #26
Incognito

Being as you're prior military, you'll actually get some preference over others. That said, you'll also be expected to perform better than average guy. The academy will be very stressful the first month or so. The instructors will seem like demons straight out of hell only there to make your life miserable, but over time, you will learn to admire them, probably very similar to boot camp. Everything will seem overwhelming at first, but hang in there and eventually things will become easier. You'll look back someday and realize that those were some of the best times you had, kind of like high school.

It's pretty funny, but if/when you graduate you feel like you're done and it's a huge relief, then comes the FTO phase and the stress factor spikes through the roof again; good times

Don't concern yourself about aquiring a weapon just yet. You'll either be issued one, or be given a list of approved makes & models. Plus once you're in, you'll be informed on LEO discounts. As for pens, I really like the Zebra F-402, lol.

If you can learn about Constitutional Law, Substantive Law, and State Laws (at a community college) prior to going into the academy, you'll have an advantage when taking law classes at the academy. Those where probably the most difficult tests.

Here's a brief list I compiled of observations while attending, and things to watch for:

• Always arrive early (15 minutes), never late
• Don't ever be the last guy anywhere (specially PT)
• Don't get into any sort of trouble (with the law) inside the academy, or outside, and if you do, disclose it immediately
• Forget about your personal life. Live, eat, and sleep police academy
• Don't wear anything related to police outside the academy until told to do so
• Don't place any emphasis on firearms. That's a red flag to psychologists
• Update the information on your DL, vehicle registration, and insurance (if applicable)
• Always have two of everything, so if you forget/loose one, you'll have a spare
• Once allowed to carry, don't ever leave your weapon unattended

Anyways, good luck & have fun.
Old December 15, 2010, 10:08 PM   #27
xMINORxTHREATx

Thanks Elecktrik!

I hope its as tough as you say it is. I honestly would go through my BCT (Basic Combat Training) again if I could. At this point, it'd be mostly to get back to 190lbs and 10% body fat percentage though!

Plus, the tougher it is, the better prepared I will be.

And great tips there too DiCarnage.
Old December 15, 2010, 10:09 PM   #28
xMINORxTHREATx

MikeNice, I tried to register with Officer.com, but they never approved my account. I know they asked about my profession, and I was wondering if since I said I wasn't an LEO, if they would deny it because of that?
Old December 16, 2010, 10:22 PM   #29
MikeNice81

Minor, when I signed up for an account it took two or three weeks. If you submitted for approval you can sign in. Send them a message and they should get in touch with you.
Old December 20, 2010, 01:45 AM   #30
HorseSoldier

It will depend on the learning model a given academy employs. Up here in AK these days the Troopers are still running a military training model, while APD runs an adult learning model -- their preference being to recruit older, more mature individuals with some life experience rather than the 18-22 or so demographic that really gels well with the military model. What will actually be difficult about an academy will tend to vary depending on the model -- whereas the military model has the drill sergeant theatrics and such, the adult learning model relies on self motivation.