The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 3, 2001, 04:47 PM   #1
RH

I just located the county trap/skeet range yesterday, and I would like to get started in this sport, as well as treat my Dad to a round for Father's Day.

I have an early 60's era High Standard 26" 20ga. pump with an adjustable choke that Dad handed down to me, he has an 12 ga. 870 pump, which I guess has screw in chokes.

Here's what the guy told me:
- 7 1/2 - 9 shot
- no high brass
- 3 dram max loading

I imagine trap would be a better place to begin.

My questions:
- is the 20 ga. suitable?
- what loads for the 20 ga.?
- choke setting?
- what loads/choke for the 870?
- what's the protocol with a pump gun - load one at a time at the line? load into the chamber, or in the tube and pump it into the chamber?
- do I need one of those belt carriers for spent rounds? how much do they cost?

Thanks for your patience.

Old June 3, 2001, 06:16 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

My questions:
- is the 20 ga. suitable?

Very much so.

- what loads for the 20 ga.?

At this stage, any cheap load that fits the parameters that your local range set. Try Wal-Mart.

- choke setting?

Improved cylinder.

- what loads/choke for the 870?

Improved cylinder, same criteria that the local range set.

- what's the protocol with a pump gun - load one at a time at the line? load into the chamber, or in the tube and pump it into the chamber?

Either way, the big point is to keep your action open when not shooting and clear that SG when your through on a stage. Ask the locals if they have a standard.

- do I need one of those belt carriers for spent rounds? how much do they cost?

You don't need a carrier, but it helps. The main purpose is to carry live rounds so you don't hold others up getting more ammo. Check with your local guys as to their range rules. I used a hunting vest for years, worked fine.

Giz

Old June 3, 2001, 06:32 PM   #3
K80Geoff

My $.02

With the guns you have I would recommend a round of Trap. Trap is simpler to learn than skeet.

Use 7.5 or 8 shot. Tighter Chokes are better for Trap, IC is the minimum. Mod would be better, especially for the 20 GA.

You may only load ONE shell at a time on the trap line. Load directly into the chamber. Do not try to load the magazine! Trapshoters, and Skeet Shooters for that matter, get very upset about this. The one shell (or two in skeet or doubles trap where you are shooting two birds) is purely for safety reasons.

You do not have to have a shell carrier for your empties, unless you want the hulls for reloading. Ejecting them on the ground is usually OK.

You will need some way of carying approximately 30 shells per round. A vest, shell carrier or even one of those aprons carpenters use to carry nails will suffice. If you have baggy pants put the shells in your pockets as a last resort, but make sure you pull out and load a shell if you do.

I would buy 2 3/4 dram loads to shoot, not 3 dram. easier on the shoulder.

When you go to shoot, tell the trapper or owner this is your first time. He should go over the rules with you and probably squad you with an experienced shooter to watch you and keep you advised about safety rules and protocol.

Skeet is a bit more complex and you should get some instruction before shooting a round.

Geoff Ross
Old June 3, 2001, 07:48 PM   #4
RH

When I asked the guy if game loads were okay, he adamantly said "no, 3 drams max". I just checked the $4 a box "Upland Game Loads", and they are 2.75 dr. eq. Is that okay, or is there a special "trap load" I should be buying?
Old June 3, 2001, 09:01 PM   #5
Sprint Sucks

Welcome to the addictive world of trap and skeet!
You will love it.
I agree with the posts above and can add that you should definately start with trap, since your using pumps, and unless you are quick to cycle them, may experience lost birds in skeet due to not having your second shot ready.
Experienced shooters can and do shoot well with pumps but its an bit of an initial handicap for skeet if your starting. Not a problem for trap however.
Stick with the 7 1/2-8 loads for trap, as the birds are going away and you'll need the range. 9's for skeet for the extra pellets and close range.
20 gauge has its pluses and minuses, you do have less pellets, but you also have less recoil to deal with.
I started with a 12, but plan on getting a 20 as my next skeet gun as they are just so pleasant to shoot, and if I miss a bird, well, it'll make me concentrate that much more. Besides, I've been outshot many time by ol-timers with .410's that make it look easy, so it's more the shooter's skill than the gun anyway.
I also second the "only load one shell at a time" and just before its your turn to shoot etiquette suggestions above.
Old June 4, 2001, 05:15 AM   #6
K80Geoff

"Game Loads"

RH, the shells you described are adequate for Trap. They fall within the 3 dram load limit. Some game loads are over 3 dram equivalent and are not suitable for Trap and skeet .

The problem with some of the cheaper bargain shells sold as game loads is that they use softer shot than target loads. Also the wads in some of them are not plastic or wholly plastic. Winchester cheapies are one culprit, they use old style felt wads that work OK but annoy some shooters with the debris that comes out of the gun.

Cheapie Xmart shells are adequate for beginners in Trap and Skeet. The object is to have fun and learn the game. Just be sure of the shot size and dram equivalent efore you shoot.

If you can find Federal value packs at Wall Mart they are excellent shells and are as good as many more expensive shells.

Geoff Ross
Old June 4, 2001, 05:21 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The folks have given you good advice,RH, and I have a just a bit to add.

When you get to the range, watch a round first. You know that old saw about a picture being worth 1000 words?

Also, most ranges have the rules posted in the clubhouse or near the line. Check them out first.

Trapshooters are oft so focussed on the sport that newbies are intimidated. Standing next to an oldster whose not said two words other than "Pull" and is busting them into little balls of smoke can be kinda stressful. Relax and take your time,have fun.

And enjoy!!