The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 16, 2014, 01:45 AM   #1
Trumpeter

New to reloading

Long story short

I grew up hunting and fishing but because of my career I've spent the majority of my adult life either overseas or in places I couldn't own firearms. Now that I can I've been getting back into it, at the cost of my golf game. I've inherited several great guns and have been really enjoying getting back into it. Recently I've started reloading. As with most things in my life my timing stinks. Ammo and powder has been really hard to come by.

I started reloading 38 spl and PB is the only powder I've been able to find. There's plenty of data on that. I've been using a rcbs touret press. I recently was able to find some 700-X, SR-7625, and more PB. I have 115 gr RN CMJ 9mm bullets but can't find any data on them with these powders. I've been to the Hodgdon sight and IMR. Also my Lyman reloading handbook has no data for these bullets.

Can I use the gr's and oal for the FMJ hollow points? Or the cast 115 gr RN?

If anyonen can help I would greatly appreaciate it. Ive really enjoyed reloading the 38 spl with PB and would love to move on to 9mm. (slowly and safely)

As as a beginner any and all advice is welcome. I have a good bit of disability insurance but would love to not use it so I'd like to keep to proven recipes.

Thanks.
Old February 16, 2014, 03:09 AM   #2
Wreck-n-Crew

Unpublished data is always at your own risk and I am not responsible for any use or misuse of the following advice...

Happens often that a similar round is in the load data but not exact. using cast lead data for a jacketed bullet is a little on the low end. Same weight jacketed data is usually the same with the exception of JHP'S.

OAL is 1.125 but a plunk test is recommended. If your OAL is lower than 1.15 @ 1.10 (determined by the plunk test) use the lower of the following

Between the lead and JHP data will be where you want to be for starting loads and Max loads but closer to the JHP's.

Starting load should be 3.4 to 3.5 and max 3.9 to 4.0 for 115grn FMJ RN. using 700x. Start low and work up in .1 gr increments with the 700x.
can't help you with the others.
Old February 16, 2014, 03:15 AM   #3
Trumpeter

Thank you. I'll do some research and reading on that.
Old February 16, 2014, 03:22 AM   #4
Wreck-n-Crew

Plunk testing is done with your barrel like this.....

IF the bullet spins easily without drag and falls out of the barrel easy @ 1.125" your good to go. If it drags bump it down to 1.10 and recheck it.

That will determine your OAL.
Old February 16, 2014, 05:56 AM   #5
NevadaBob

For the SR 7625, with Berry's rn plated 115 9mm, I use 5.0 grn with a COL @ 1.135. This chrono's out @ 1017 fps. And the plunk test is a must for your barrel.
Old February 16, 2014, 11:33 AM   #6
Trumpeter

Again thanks. I just ordered a 9mm pistol cartridge gauge as well. As I said I've done well with 38 special but want to be a careful as possible when moving on the semi auto.

The next step in my education should be fun. I have to get some empty brass so I'm off to the range.
Old March 3, 2014, 08:50 PM   #7
Trumpeter

I took the advise and did a lot of reading. I also spent some good time with a local gun smith that's been helping me as well.

I did 10 rounds with 700x at 3.5 grains. Ten with 7625 at 4.5 grains. Ten with PB at 3.6 graing. All with a OAL of 1.125. A friend of mine and I each shot one five round mag of each powder.

The 700X and 7625 worked great and the feel was very similar to the factory loaded rounds I have. The PB had 2 shells that jammed in each magazine of five.

I'm sticking to the first two powders for now and keeping the PB for my 38 spl and 357.

Thanks for the help. Since I've been getting into this hobbie I've been blown away at how nice and helpful people are.

Thanks again and all the best.

Tags
700-x , 9mm , imr pb , reloading , sr-7625