The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 26, 2005, 12:12 AM   #1
WeaponX

Best high Quality red dot?

I'm just looking to get some feedback from all of you out there who own good red dots that you would reccomend. I'm looking to put one on my AR-15 and want to get something quality.

Has anyone heard anything on the new Burris XTS-135 vs. Aimpoint comp M series vs. Trijicon's Tripower?? I would really appreciate any feedback I can get. Thanks

WeaponX
---------
ArmaLite AR-15, SA XD9, Walther P22, Win. 1300, Marlin 336AS, Ruger 10/22, and the proud new owner of Springfields new D-Day Invasion Collector Edition M1 Garand!
Old April 26, 2005, 04:57 AM   #2
Northwest Cajun

I'm currently in Kuwait, moving lots of guys to and from Iraq. I mostly see aimpoints used by all branches with a few ACOG's and Trijicon here and there.
I've asked a few guys if they had a chance , "would you use on a deer rifle?" I'm at about 50% with a yes and no answers.

I dont think the Burris is out yet, I've been looking and I havent seen any avilaible yet. I'll keep looking. I'm building a scout rifle when I get back and just about ruled a red dot out but seeing one might change my mind.

Cajun
Old April 26, 2005, 11:56 AM   #3
Zak Smith

Reading reports from carbine classes and talking to some trainers, the Aimpoint M/M2/M3 is the most durable 1x red dot currently available.
Old April 26, 2005, 11:59 AM   #4
spacemanspiff

i've got a tri-power, and have only compared it to a reflex and eotech.

the acogs with the magnification are impressive, but out of my financial reach.

without having put my hands on the aimpoint or the burris, all i can say is that the tri-power is the best product from trijicon.

two things have lifted it above the rest. first was its use of the chevron reticle. (new reflex optics are now available with the same reticle, as well as complete triangles and the original 'dot'). the aiming point it provides has turned my 5-6 inch groups at 100 yards into 2 inches, and occasionally, even 1 inch. i'm certain that shooting prone with a bipod will get sub-moa.

second, is its multiple power sources. theres so much versatility in being able to use the fiberoptics, or cover the coil and turn the unit on. using the cyalume light stick in low light illuminates the reticle nearly as well as ambient light illuminates it during daylight. the other illumination source, the tritium lamp, kind of fails, in my opinion. maybe the unit i have is defective in this regard, as mine only creates a faint reticle in absolute darkness.

the tri-power is definitely worth the money. and right now, i believe there is a small group-buy over at THR for them.
Old April 26, 2005, 05:20 PM   #5
AK103K

I have an Aimpoint M2 on a GG&G cantilever mount on my Armalite M15A4C and like it a lot. I have ML2's on a couple of other rifles too.

Old April 26, 2005, 06:52 PM   #6
WeaponX

I've heard a lot of great things about the Comp M series. I like the Trijicon tri-power too, but being $100 more than the aimpoints, I have to lean a little more toward them.

I'm really interested in the specs of the new Burris XTS-135. From what I've read it's pretty reliable, and I love the price ($200 new). I haven't been able to find any solid endorsments for it, I would assume that's becuase it's so new. Any info on this red-dot would be great!