The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 25, 2006, 10:12 AM   #1
shappy0869

Shotgun as only HD weapon?

I have had a Glock 27 for over 10 years and I recently purchased an 870P. I have owned and shot many other pistols and my Glock is a vestige of when I used to have a CW permit. However, I find it a bit uncomfortable to shoot and, as a result, I don't like to shoot it very often. Plus, I really like shooting my 870 so, given a choice, I shoot it over the Glock.

In the case of a HD situation, I would almost certainly go for the 870 over the Glock because, even though the Glock has night sights, my 870 has an attached light and a laser zeroed in for in-house distances. Because of this, I think it would be the more effective HD weapon.

Now, there are some additions I would like to make for my 870 to make it as much fun at the range as it would be an effective HD weapon. These include an additional longer barrel for clays and a holosight for shooting slugs at long range, a nice sling and of course ammo. But my budget has other priorities, so funds are not readily available.

I have had some offers for my Glock that would pay me enough to do pretty much everything I would want to do to my 870, but this would leave me without a pistol of any kind. Is there any compelling reason why I should have a pistol? I am not one to ever carry a gun on me when I am home and, as I stated, I prefer to shoot my shotgun anyway. What is your opinion of this?
Old December 25, 2006, 12:31 PM   #2
firemedic1975

Me personally I would keep both...you never know when you may need or want the handgun for whatever reason.
You HAVE to stand for something or you WILL fall for anything!!! American by birth SOUTHERN by the Grace of God!!! Colt Double Eagle .45, Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II .45, Sig 226 9mm, Ruger G100 .357 mag, S&W Airweight .38+p, Glock 23, Berretta Neo .22, (2) Yugo SKS's, 12 gauge Winchester 3 in, Marlin 30-30, H&K G-3 (91)
Old December 25, 2006, 03:18 PM   #3
Maser

I also say keep them both. In an HD situation you can't beat a shotgun. Although, a handgun might be more versatile, I still think that a shotgun is more effective. The Glock would make a good backup gun. You say you don't like shooting your Glock. I think that may be kind of a problem. You should maybe get different grips and more range time with it. An HD weapon is useless if you don't like to shoot it and practice with it.
Old December 25, 2006, 04:27 PM   #4
shappy0869

You are right about getting different grips, my dad even suggested that when I spoke to him about this today.

Still thinking about what I want to do, but I appreciate the advice and opinions.
Old December 25, 2006, 04:32 PM   #5
sanson

Keep Them Both!
Old December 25, 2006, 05:21 PM   #6
auburnboattail

keep both

use shotgun for HD, The Glock is not going to go down in value, if you can afford it keep it. As you may not ever have a chance of reaquiring.

I have traded or sold a lot of firearms and I always kick myself years later.
Seems the particular model I let get away becomes popular or If I want to purchase the same model the owner wants twice what I think it is worth.