The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 26, 2018, 08:44 PM   #1
FloridaGuy

Muzzle device

I have a .308 with a threaded barrel looking for a Muzzle break for it until I can get a suppressor for it. What does everyone suggest?

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
Old August 26, 2018, 09:03 PM   #2
cw308

I have a muzzle break on my Rem 700 308 , it's a pleasure to shoot . Midway USA or Brownells will have one for you . Muzzle breaks have to be timed , I'm not sure how it's done , just ask before buying .
Old August 27, 2018, 12:19 AM   #3
Pathfinder45

I hate being anywhere near a muzzle brake when the gun is discharged. On the other hand, I think suppressors should be encouraged and deregulated. Decibel reduction is a good thing.
Old August 27, 2018, 02:27 PM   #4
kraigwy

Check out Midway, assuming you have a 5/8 X 24 treaded barrel, get a 5/8X24 brake for an AR 10, they work great.

Timing is nothing more then getting the ports lined up where you get no lateral movement when you fire. Not that difficult.

Sure brakes are hard on the ears, thats why they make ear protection which you should be using anyway, as well as the people around you when you shoot.

I'm a fan of Brakes, I put one on my Model 70 375 H&H, it now kicks less then my model 70 257 Featherweights.

You cut down on punishing recoil, you're gonna shoot better.

Besides my 6.5 RAP, I also put a brake on my 223 & 204 Ruger RAP. That 204 doesnt wiggle when you shoot. You can see your hits on prairie dogs. I have a Ruger #1 in 204 w/out a brake, you'd be supprised the difference even though the #1 is heavier.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 27, 2018, 02:50 PM   #5
stagpanther

My 375 ruger does not have one--man up cupcakes!

Seriously--along with the AR thoughts--ruger's is surprisingly good--as is Aero Precision's.
Old August 28, 2018, 09:54 AM   #6
BeeShooter

I wouldn't use a muzzle break on a .308. There's not enough recoil effectiveness to bother with using one. Typically a smooth 11 degree crown is all you need. Also - If you go with a break, don't change it after you load develop. I use a older style Holland break that diverts the gas upward at about 30 degrees on both sides on my 300 WM. I can shoot close to another shooter w/o pressuring his eyeballs. In other words, some ranges won't allow breaks for obvious reasons.
Old August 28, 2018, 10:45 AM   #7
Sharkbite

If you have the intention of getting a suppressor for it “down the road”, then decide on the can now and buy the break/mount that goes with that can.

I have two 308’s with breaks. The first uses the old Sure-fire style, to fit that can. The second has an AAC 51t break to mount a 762sdn-6. I like the second one better. I was able to buy 51t mounts for a bunch of my guns and move that can from gun to gun as i need.
Old September 10, 2018, 12:56 AM   #8
ADIDAS69

I used this on my M24 till my suppressor arrived. Made it feel like a 22LR

https://precisionarmament.com/product/m41-muzzle-brake/
Old September 10, 2018, 01:20 AM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Muzzle Brakes (brake, as in slows it down) were used on a number of WWII tank and anti-tank guns, the reduction of recoil allows for either a lighter (more maneuverable) mount, or a heavier (more powerful) gun on the regular mount. Also discovered was the benefit of less blast directly in front, raising less dust, improving observation of the fall of shot.

Not much concern for the increase is noise to those to the side, wars are noisy things....

For civilian shooters in a social shooting situation (the range) the increase in side blast demands a degree of consideration for others.
Old September 10, 2018, 04:10 AM   #10
std7mag

I'm with Stagpanther on this one.

Pull up your big girl pantys and put the money towards a muffling device.

Heck, my wife shoots my Rem Mag, my daughter is shooting a 06'.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old September 10, 2018, 05:37 AM   #11
stagpanther

Just like a good trigger--a good brake will assist in accuracy and quick follow-up. I do have a 300 win mag with a brake which I like to shoot at the range when the guy next to me starts raining AK or AR brass all over me.
Old September 10, 2018, 02:54 PM   #12
jmr40

There is no law that says you have to do anything with it. But if you just want to screw something on there a $10 flash hider will do until you can get a suppressor.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...d-ar-10-lr-308

Winston Churchill
Old September 21, 2018, 10:05 AM   #13
javadog

Does anybody have any experience with the Indian Creek Designs BFD--- blast forwarding device ? It looks as if it will allow the use of a regular muzzle brake and add the blast directing characteristic like a linear compensator.