The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old June 12, 2018, 07:47 PM   #51
Jazzgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by thallub View Post
Better read up on your Arizona hunting regulations. It is legal to kill coyotes in Arizona every month of the year:

https://www.azgfd.com/Hunting/Regulations/
I was referring to "within the city limits".

You are correct otherwise.
Old June 12, 2018, 08:06 PM   #52
Jazzgun

Briandg
Quote:
Myself, just spitballing here, I believe that a moose can cover 50 to 100 feet in about as much time as it would take for me to draw or unshoulder a rifle, and if the thing is looking a weird, I will have a weapon ready in case he does go nuts.
Have you ever been to Yellowstone?
Old June 12, 2018, 09:12 PM   #53
Jim567

The lesson to be learned here is to not walk into traps and not do stoopid things. carry bear spray if you go off alone. Don't poke the bears.
——————————

Briandg
I promise not to poke the bears!!!!!
Old June 13, 2018, 12:05 AM   #54
Jazzgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim567 View Post
The lesson to be learned here is to not walk into traps and not do stoopid things. carry bear spray if you go off alone. Don't poke the bears.
——————————

Briandg
I promise not to poke the bears!!!!!
Are we still talking about animals or are we now talking about moderators?
Old June 13, 2018, 07:10 AM   #55
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Probably.

Y'all reckon that this horse has about had it?
Old June 13, 2018, 08:21 AM   #56
briandg

Quote:
Have you ever been to Yellowstone?
Yes, a number of times, and every trip involved seeing bears in situations that could have created a dangerous situation. Back then it wasn't unusual for a bear to walk through the area where people were on foot. There was a relatively peaceful coexistence. Grizzlies were uncommon, and bear encounters rarely turned dangerous.

Yellowstone has been turned into disneyland. I'd be surprised to see it being anything like it was in the seventies.
Old June 13, 2018, 10:27 AM   #57
Hitthespot

Art Eatman, I just read your tag line. That's just plain funny. Best thing I've read all week.
Old June 13, 2018, 01:03 PM   #58
Mainah

This might be a bigger deal than I thought:

Quote:
Taj was a four-month-old tiger cub when purchased at a Texas truck stop by the driver of an 18-wheeler lorry. But after Taj began tearing up the truck's cab, the driver contacted Austin Zoo to get the animal off his hands. The zoo now looks after the fully grown 17-year-old Bengal tiger male.

Taj is one of as many as 7,000 tigers living in the US either in zoos or privately owned, according to some estimates. That's nearly double the estimated 3,890 tigers still prowling in the wild around the world.
Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44444016
Old June 13, 2018, 01:39 PM   #59
briandg

It's an enormous problem. It's a problem with dogs as well, there are breeders all over the country who sell pure, and hybrid wolves to anyone who will buy them. People want the big, wild and crazy predator type of pet. The same kind who want a fifteen foot long python.

Come on, you guys can all understand why the big cats are wanted. Some dog owners buy BIG dogs because they like big animals, some cat owners feel the same way. We buy special breeds that look like wildcats, some have leopard like spots. People buy huge cats because there is no thrill in owning a fourteen pound runt.

Myself, I'd love to have a bobcat around the house.
Old June 13, 2018, 07:36 PM   #60
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"Myself, I'd love to have a bobcat around the house."

For a while.

Love at first sight, hate at first bite.
Old June 14, 2018, 12:34 AM   #61
briandg

Of course. I can't even get my normal cats to stop chewing on us. A solid cat bite can abscess even after a run of antibiotics, my daughter's cat nailed me badly, twice in one sitting, on each hand, while trying to bathe it. The first on the right went into the web of the thumb, it had to be drained three times. The second went into index finger knuckle of left, and that joint still hurts. People talk about dogs being dangerous? A cat can shred you. The bites aren't as savage as even a little dog can inflict, but between the ripping of the claws and the giant, needle sharp canines, I'm not sure which one is really more dangerous. A normal tabby, or a dachshund.

A jaguar? haven't these people watched wild kingdom? I wouldn't mess with a large cat, I won't mess with a big dog. Pets should be animals that have been bred for that role for generations and raised by hand.
Old June 14, 2018, 01:03 AM   #62
Jazzgun

briandg

I haven't been there in 18 years but there were all kinds of creatures, moose, elk, bears, bison etc within yards of Yellowstone visitors. Taking photos of them and at the same time encouraging others to be careful. Especially the bears and the moose. I have a photo of me with a bison actually kicking up dust about ten feet behind me. LOL I started to post it but decided it might be against policy.

I was just wondering what you thought about moose at Yellowstone. If you felt you needed a gun to protect yourself. LOL
Old June 14, 2018, 01:10 AM   #63
Jazzgun

briandg
Quote:
Myself, I'd love to have a bobcat around the house.
I have a cat who the vet says is half bobcat. He's a feral I adopted as a teenager. He's the coolest cat ever and would NEVER bite me. In fact he has perfect manners. Never jumps on the counter tops or scratches the furniture or anything bad. The only problem is that he things my computer chair is his and when I'm in it and he wants it he YOWLS very loudly until I relinquish it.

Other than that we're good. I've always wanted a wolf. I can't have one now though. My cat wouldn't like it.

Last edited by Jazzgun; June 14, 2018 at 01:12 AM. Reason: typos :(
Old June 14, 2018, 01:17 AM   #64
Jazzgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Eatman View Post
Probably.

Y'all reckon that this horse has about had it?
Nooooo please. I think there's still some milk left in that moose! lmao!

Old June 14, 2018, 01:43 AM   #65
Jazzgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainah View Post
This might be a bigger deal than I thought:

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44444016
I was a licensed wild animal rehabilitator when I lived in Texas. Occasionally I would get calls to rescue an exotic that the owner couldn't deal with. It always made me sad to see the living conditions that were provided for the "pet".

I really don't like to see people owning these exotic animals just because of examples like you just cited above. But then on the other hand I hate seeing them mounted or caged even more. Or do I?

Since I'm not a hunter it bothers me to the point I don't even like to talk about it. But when it comes to things like deer, elk, etc.... I do love to eat it.

I still believe in black panthers. But then I believe in Unicorns too.

Old June 14, 2018, 01:45 AM   #66
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
He's the coolest cat ever and would NEVER bite me.
The only animals I know that would NEVER bite are ones that can't bite. Any animal that can bite, will bite under the proper circumstances. One that hasn't bitten merely hasn't encountered the situation that will cause it to bite yet.

A friend of mine had a very docile cat. It only bit someone once, to my knowledge. It had been given a bath (something it tolerated quite well) but rather than towel it off, the owner decided to take a shortcut by using a blowdryer. That turned out to be a failed experiment which resulted in a number of very unpleasant puncture wounds.

Up until that time, the owner was confident that the cat would NEVER bite. In reality, the cat had no compunctions at all about biting once the hair dryer got close to it. It was just a matter of an adequate stimulus tripping its instinct to escape/defend itself.

Read about people badly injured, or even killed by family pets--it's distressingly common for the surviving family members to express disbelief even though they witnessed what happened with their own eyes. On the other hand, it's quite rare for one of them to comment that they never trusted the animal and always thought something like this would happen.

I understand the strong sentiment that people have toward their pets; it's very similar to the sentiment expressed by people who say that: "My child would never <fill in the blank>!" I know they're wrong, because I was once that child and not only would I, I did. I know it because I see people repeating that mantra on the news even AFTER the evidence makes it clear that their child really did <fill in the blank>.

I know that when people make statements about what animals would NEVER do that they're wrong. I know it because I've seen many incidents in the news where people were badly injured or killed by pets that would NEVER harm them. I know it because I listened to the tape of the bear eating Treadwell while he screamed for his girlfriend to hit it with a frying pan even though up until that point he thought he shared a kinship with bears and was not in any danger from them.

What a person believes a complex being (be it a pet, a wild animal, or another person) would NEVER do has no bearing at all on what it actually will or won't do. This is a very important lesson to learn and too many people are totally unwilling to accept it, and therefore sometimes get a very nasty and easily preventable surprise--or, worse yet, put someone else in a position to get a very nasty and easily preventable surprise. When the bear finished with Treadwell, it killed his girlfriend too--frying pan notwithstanding...

Animals that are complicated enough to make really interesting/fun pets are also complicated enough that predicting their behavior with 100% certainty is simply not possible. I'm not saying we should live in fear of animals, pets or other humans, or that we should constantly be expecting them to wreak mayhem at any moment. But just as it is irrational to live in constant fear of an unexpected response from an animal, or another human, it is unwise to convince one's self that there is nothing at all to fear, that total complacency is the proper mindset, that a particular animal or a species, or another human would NEVER cause harm. That kind of mindset is how people end up being interviewed on the news saying things like: "I never expected anything like this to happen to me." or "I couldn't believe what was happening until it was too late." or "X has never done anything like that before." That's how people end up as animal feces, or in a hospital, or in a black plastic bag with a zipper on it.

We're all interested in self-defense or we wouldn't be posting on/reading this subforum of TFL. The first step in self-defense is establishing a mindset that is firmly based in reality rather than on what we want to be true--regardless of how strongly we want something to be true or how much reality clashes with our ideal worldview.
Old June 14, 2018, 01:57 AM   #67
Jazzgun

JohnKSa

Quote:
We're all interested in self-defense or we wouldn't be posting on/reading this subforum of TFL. The first step in self-defense is establishing a mindset that is firmly based in reality rather than on what we want to be true.
While that did make me laugh, I completely agree with you. LOL An animal is an animal and while I said that "my cat would never bite me", well....let's just say I have never given Tiger a bath (nor would I) and I sure as hell wouldn't use a hair dryer to dry him if I did. I'd be afraid of getting electrocuted for starters. haha Tiger would be so gone, so fast, I'm not sure he would have time to bite me. And he'd probably never return.

Having pets also requires having common sense. Poor Treadwell.

So....anyway....the reality is that my cat would probably bite me given the right circumstances. Okay...I completely agree.

I still think that man is the most dangerous animal in the forest.
Old June 14, 2018, 01:59 AM   #68
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I still think that man is the most dangerous animal in the forest.
We don't disagree by much. I think it's woman.

Ok, in all seriousness, you are right. Humans are pretty dangerous. And my joke is just that and not at all accurate--50% of the population (the half with the Y chromosome) commits the vast majority of violent crime.
Old June 14, 2018, 08:38 AM   #69
briandg

Every animal is just another volatile compound with an indeterminate flashpoint. At some point, any and every animal can be pushed into fight/fight response, and there is probably no way to predict which will happen. Deny it flight, though, and when the level of stress becomes too high, fight is going to be the response.

Animals aren't capable of rational thinking, they can't work out the consequences of a violent reaction. Even the brightest of human beings with all of its advanced processing isn't capable of that sort of rational behavior when the pressure reaches critical. That stupid scene in dune was pretty well explanatory.

"i'm going to grind your hand into spam, and if you so much as twitch from the pain, I'll kill you."
Old August 8, 2018, 03:37 PM   #70
spacemanspiff

I totally forgot about this thread~!

Quote:
Just to run on a bit more about the moose. A moose is supposed to be capable of 35 mph, or 50 fps. Even going about half that, 30 fps, a moose can probably start a charge and cover fifty feet in about a second, give or take. This situation should give plenty of warning signs, not like having a timer. So, I guess that I could probably put a round or two into a charging moose, but i would be much smarter to duck. My handgun has no knockdown power, and that moose is coming at me like a tractor.
If a moose was a predator like a wolf or bear, then yeah, break out the 50bmg derringer and the 17hmr full auto minigun and go to town on any moose that dares get within 100 feet of you.

but the reality is, most bad moose encounters involve getting between a mama and her calf, or between a bull and a cow during mating season. Theres plenty of warning signs that will indicate a moose is preparing to charge. They might be able to run fast but they are not like a cheetah and able to cover distance in an instant from a dead stop. And if you have found yourself within that 50 feet or 21 feet and NOT noticed there is a moose that is 6 feet at the shoulders grunting and stomping the ground with its hooves, then the problem is not with the moose, its with YOU. Put a tree between you and the moose and your are fine. get behind a car.

I've had my share of run-ins with moose while hiking or biking. They want to be left alone more than anything and will ignore a human unless they are endangering their baby.
Old August 8, 2018, 03:51 PM   #71
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Just to run on a bit more about the moose. A moose is supposed to be capable of 35 mph, or 50 fps. Even going about half that, 30 fps, a moose can probably start a charge and cover fifty feet in about a second, give or take. This situation should give plenty of warning signs, not like having a timer. So, I guess that I could probably put a round or two into a charging moose, but i would be much smarter to duck. My handgun has no knockdown power, and that moose is coming at me like a tractor.
This was a particularly silly post was it not? So a moose can run about 35 mph or about 50 (51.333) fps. Even going about half that speed 25 fps (not the 30 stated) a moose can cover about 50 feet in one second from a start? Just how in the world can anything going 25 (or 30 fps) cover 50 feet in one second from a standing start? It boggles the space-time continuum. At best, a moose moving at 30 feet per second will only cover 30 feet in a second, and that isn't from a standing start.

Generally speaking, tractors are fairly slow, low geared machines and not very agile. If a moose is charging you at 35 mph, it isn't coming at you like a tractor.
Old August 8, 2018, 07:05 PM   #72
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Enuf moose goosing for this year.
Closed Thread