The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2007, 11:16 PM   #1
rgjujitsu

what to look for...

So my uncle has a gun case with 4 or 5 shotguns that he hasn't even looked at in 5 years, fired in 7-10. I have no idea what's down there, but I am sure they are pretty expensive since they were gifts and he is rich with rich friends, and I don't know anything about guns. Could you guys be so kind as to tell me what to look for in a shotgun? basically for range and the occasional boar or bird hunt. Also, any maintinence need to be done before I fire it?
thanks
Old January 6, 2007, 12:50 AM   #2
skeeter1

We'll more information. Could be a Mossberg 500 worth maybe $200 or a Winchester 21 worth up to $60000. With the little information you've given, I can't help you.
Old January 6, 2007, 04:27 AM   #3
kozak6

If you have to decide right then and there and can't get back to us, get the one that fits you best.

It would be a good idea to take it apart, clean it, and oil it before shooting it.

12 gauge would probably be the best caliber to get.
Old January 6, 2007, 08:20 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A really good idea would be to go to a range and try out some shotguns first. And take a lesson or six from someone who can both shoot and teach.

Once you have an idea of good shotgun form, then raid Uncle's toybox....
Old January 6, 2007, 10:27 AM   #5
rgjujitsu

Thanks, I won't be able to get back here once I get there and have to make a decision so I was just wondering if there were some basics. How do I tell if it is a 12 gauge or 20? does more etching mean better craftsmanship? what are telltale signs of no-goodness? also, the range I am storing the gun at, can I just carry the gun in or do I have to have a special case?
thanks again for your time
Old January 6, 2007, 07:31 PM   #6
kozak6

There should be a stamp somewhere on the barrel or reciever that should state the caliber. Or, you could ask your uncle.

Do an internet search for shotgun fit or maybe shotgun fitting, and see if you can figure out how to see if a shotgun fits. Then, at your uncle's, make sure you get a shotgun that fits you well.

Engraving? It often is, but whatever floats your boat.

If the barrel has a pattern something like these:
http://members.toast.net/keithkearcher/bernard2.jpg
http://members.toast.net/keithkearcher/bernard1.jpg

it would be best to avoid them since due to the way they were made, they are unsafe to fire with modern ammo.

I don't know about the rules of your range. Call them and ask them.