The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 1, 2007, 04:30 PM   #26
TonyM1

Quote:
ive always been told that in flordia, gun is to be unloaded with firearm and ammunition seperate(trunk from cab), and at least three moves away.

i know from experieince if your helping your brother jump his car on a cirt road near railroad tracks near pensacola, and you have a 22 revolver in the glove compartment and rounds locked in a tool box, the cop will hold your gun for you while you sit with your hands in plain view as he checks for warrents/record. its a big pain.
The '3 move' rule is a myth probably perpetuated by misinformed leo's and subsequently misinformed citizens. Securely encased is the key phrasing in the statute, which means it could be in a zippered case laying on your front seat if you wish.

I've been pulled over several times for traffic violations with a loaded and chambered pistol in the glove box along with my wallet, I inform the leo that he will see a gun when I get my wallet out, and it has not been a problem, they write the ticket and move on. The largest 'hassle' I ever had was in a similar situation and the officer asked me to step out while his partner took the gun out and unloaded it, they handed me back the the gun and ammo after they wrote the ticket. I'd say that the level of scrutiny by the leo will depend on several factors, but I would not let that deter you from having a loaded gun in the glove if that is what you would like to do. I have since gotten a cwp so it is even less of an issue now.
Old January 1, 2007, 08:49 PM   #27
Glockoma

Quote:
Lastly you, refer to bangers and to yourself as a "white mutha". Give me a break, stop the stupid sterotypes and go out and live some life, see part of the world and maybe get some common sense and a clue or two while you are at it.

Your statement is patently offensive, for it assumes that those who prey upon your will be noting your race.. perhaps not even of your race... or that they will care what your race is.. I think I will leave it at that and hope and pray that the mods step in here..

While the original statement is not politically correct, it is very much statistically correct. Look at the annual FBI crime statistics, or better yet the papers and reports that used that data to answer the questions the FBI reports don't dare to.

Here's a synopsis. Of the incidents where the perpetrator and victim are of different race, black-on-white crime is hugely more frequent than the other way around, and this has been the case for a very long time.

I would suggest that it is your ad hominem knee-jerk PC sputtering that is offensive, for it denies the obvious facts of inter-race crime in this country (and elsewhere in the world, actually, for these trends are quite general).
Old January 2, 2007, 04:43 PM   #28
RecoveringGT'er

Having lived in a couple of the rougher parts of Houston, I like the idea of a shotgun in the car over a handgun. If you can get to it, it may stop a situation from escalating to actual shooting. For another thing, in Texas, no CHL is needed. At least one friend of mine keeps a 12 gauge pump in his truck, because he doesn't have/want a CHL.

I had a bunch of experiences in Houston that make me question anyone who thinks Doug.38PR is paranoid. Burglary, larceny, assault, and so on hit every neighborhood I ever lived in there. (Not because I lived there, contrary to what one of my buddies thinks...) Now, I did live right on the border between the 3rd and 5th wards, but it was in many other areas as well. Even Bellaire and Katy, IIRC.
Old January 2, 2007, 08:09 PM   #29
wayneinFL

+2 on the "two-step rule" or "three-step rule". I hear this all the time, and it's bunk. Where the heck are people getting this?

I was in a gun shop the other day, and one of the employees was explaining his version of the three-step rule to a customer- detailed- as if he had read it out of a book. Another customer corrected him before disinformation was spread any further.

A good book for those who really want to know what the laws are in Florida:

http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/index.shtml

I occasionally will keep a shotgun in my vehicle, cased, mag loaded- if i know I am going to have to be stopped in a bad neighborhood at night. (My work requires me to be there from time to time.) I see no reason for me to have one on a regular basis.

I'd never under any circumstances store a shotgun in a vehicle with a round chambered.
Old January 3, 2007, 03:19 AM   #30
RsqVet

ATW -- Yeah I agree I have long though it would be easy to make a home lock with one of thoes electric locks mounted to something sturdy and running off a 12 volt battery continiously charged off of a wall socket. Maybe I have gien someone an idea and we will see a product out next year.

Doug --- Let's back up a few steps here...

1. If you, as in your description are looking at, for lack of a better term "bad guys" milling around in your vicinity, I would submit to you that getting out of your vehicle is a poor choice, a show of force, or threat there of (as you suggest by your suggesting of somewhat subtle showign of a long arm) is an even poorer choice.. flat? Drive on it for god's sake if you feal that threatened... some other mechnical problem... fine if you HAVE to get out, then you have to, however as you may some day learn peaple may or may not make a problem for you for any number of reasons... the outward show of force IS SIMPLY NOT A UNIVERSAL SOLUTION... a low profile will offten solve your problem and prvent others... sometimes taking a forceful position will only make matters worse.. no I am not arguing that if an angry mod is headed your way you should not take apropriate action; however there is a difffernace between preventing trouble and being the cause of it... trying to "show off" or "intimidate" those in an area who have no declared intentions against you other than your pre-concived notions boarders on "starting trouble" for all you know "they" may look upon you as an armed interloper in their neighborhood who needs to at the very liest be investigated (by themselves or the police ) or the very worst taught a lesson.

2. If you are in an area where you consider the risk so grave that you are on "red alert", morover so much so that you need a long arm... then you NEVER, ever, ever allow any weapon to be outside of your immediate controll for any reason... laying it down in the bed or trunk? seems way foolish to me for I have seen the speed of some attacks and would not want ANY weapon off of my body / immediate controll if I am in condition red. Sure I have a side arm on as well (and presume that you would as well) however I don't want to bet my life on my skill with a handgun agianst any BG with a weapon, let alone a lonng arm that I ahve now given him.

3. Lastly Doug and Glockoma give it a rest... frankly if you knew me you would know that I am one of the lieast politically correct people you will ever meet. However I make my statment for two reasons, one I TRULY FIND IT OFFENSIVE ... assumptions that are borad or sweeping almost always offend me... if they are about a particular group of people of a color, locality or type being a certain way then I find that offensive. Sorry I have lived enough to see the other side of things. At the same time if it's about a particular gun having no "sporting use" or people who carry, or drive trucks of a certain type being a certian way then I find that too offensive. It's a double edged blade that leads to a slipery slope and some pretty foul logic so in my opinion the only thing a rightous person can do is fight it in all forms.

No I am not debating whatever national numbers that anyone wants to spout from whatever study or agency they chose. However it's not that simple... for a varity of resons, one I do not think anyone would question that poverty begets crime and in that sense in some areas the populations living in poverty are largely of certian groups dependign upon region... for that reason I find myself more on alert whenever I am in such enviorments regardless of color. Morover the simple existance of those statistics does not establish a cause and effect relationsip in an individual instance... just as a medical study can tell you, if you are a betting person if you should bet on yourself surviving a given condition, it however has not definitive ability to predict EXACTLY how you will do. So in short if we stop using our brains and taking people as indivials and relegate them into groups from which we make sweeping judgments... then we are being grossly unfair just as the summary banning of black rifles with pistol grips and detachable magazines is stupid and unfair.

My second reason for calling Doug on this, is because I frankly think these sweeping generalizations do anyone looking out for themselves a major disservice, as at best you are only going to be right to whatever degree your statistics and generalizations are right, which when you get down to it is not a very good number -- say 70% at best. If you use your brain and common sense you can do much better than this, regardless of if you are talking about crime or medicine. I do not question that crime happens for many reasons, however the simple fact that it involves two races does nto make it racialy motivated no more so than the converse would be true, however we need to stop talking about it in such BS terminology (such as Doug uses) if we ever expect such assumptions and stupidity to go away.

Lastly if you like it or not what is said here is something of a public forum... and each and everyone of us has to think about that in our discourse. I honestly have little hope that Doug will look at this and even see the point that I am trying to make, however I feel quite strongly that his statments are so out there that they must be countered in some way publicly.
Old January 3, 2007, 08:14 PM   #31
Bud Helms

My goodness. This used to be one of the more sane forums.

In my judgement, everything that needs to be said, has been.

This thread is closed.
Closed Thread