The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 7, 2018, 06:30 PM   #1
SerenityNetworks

Bushmaster XM15-E2S AR-15 Drop-In Trigger Suggestions

I'm looking for a drop-in replacement trigger for my Bushmaster. I've found some older threads that guided me on some research, but I'd like to run my conclusion past those with more experience.

The rifle will be used primarily for hunting coyotes and hogs. Most of the hunting will be done at night. I may take the rifle deer hunting, but probably not. I don't need a whiz-bang trigger. I'm not hunting prairie dogs with this rifle. I'd like to keep the price as low as possible while still significantly improving the trigger.

My search has left me with the conclusion that the RISE ARMAMENT SUPER SPORT TRIGGER would give me significant improvement over the stock trigger at perhaps the lowest price possible. Are there any suggestions for other triggers I should consider or reasons why I should stay away from the Rise Armament trigger?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew
Old May 8, 2018, 01:06 AM   #2
ballardw

We would; have to have a real good description of your current trigger and what exactly you want to improve to make valid suggestions. If your current trigger is 9 pound pull and you want 2.5 pound might get different suggestions that if you would accept a crisp 4.5...
Old May 8, 2018, 06:38 AM   #3
SerenityNetworks

The current trigger is the stock trigger that came on the Bushmaster. I haven't measured it, but I would suspect it's at least 10 pounds. I'm hunting, so I believe 2.5 pounds would be too light, especially if I'm wearing gloves. (Generally, I don't have a glove on my trigger finger, but you never know.) I prefer a crisp and clean break. I'm thinking 3.5 to 4.5 pounds (leaning towards the lower end) would be fine for my purposes. I have other medium and large game hunting rifles with a pull around 3.5 pounds and they have been fine. A single stage trigger is all I need. I'm not going to be shooting precision with this rifle, just hogs and coyotes, so I don't need anything like the double set trigger that I have on my CZ. I'd like a drop-in trigger for a number of reasons. Mainly, I don't want to fool with a lot of assembly and adjustment.

But like I said, I'm looking for cost effective improvement suggestions. At this point, a 6 pound sloppy pull would be better than I have now. I've read good reviews on the Rise Armament Super Sport Trigger. From all I can tell, it fits my need perfectly; a quality drop-in trigger with a fixed 3.5 pound pull. But this isn't my area of knowledge. There may be better offerings available that I just haven't found. For example, if I could get an adjustable trigger for $20 more that breaks crisp and clean then I'd do it.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Andrew

Last edited by SerenityNetworks; May 8, 2018 at 06:40 AM. Reason: typo
Old May 8, 2018, 06:49 AM   #4
Mobuck

I bought one of the "drop in" unitized triggers and found it simply too light for hunting with gloves. Anytime you go below 3.5-4# (especially on an AR) you're inviting an AD.
Old May 8, 2018, 07:27 AM   #5
SerenityNetworks

Thank you Mobuck. I'd heard that (about going below 3.5-4#). I don't want my finger and shoulder to create a human bump stock.
Old May 8, 2018, 05:24 PM   #6
Mobuck

create a human bump stock.

It can cause some exciting "double taps".
Old May 8, 2018, 06:32 PM   #7
SerenityNetworks

That's something I'd rather avoid. I had one AD in the 70s. It was a shot in the air, but still an AD. It's too soon to have another.
Old May 8, 2018, 06:51 PM   #8
RC20

The Rock River Arms chrome plated two stage Match is one very nice trigger.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:10 PM   #9
10-96

+1 on the Rock River. I've only bought and used the NM 2-stage and the Varmint 2-stage triggers, but for $98 - $120 they have all been money well spent.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:12 PM   #10
chadio

A few years ago, I put a drop-in trigger in my AR (LMT CQB16).

It's a CMC, part # 91503

- single stage
- flat trigger
- 3.5 lb.

Used only for target shooting. It is extremely crisp, and light, absolutely love this trigger for what I do. Any time someone shoots my rifle, I have to remind them "Don't even LEAN on that trigger until you are ready to take the shot!!" However, for hunting, I'd go with something heavier and if you are using gloves, a curved trigger would likely be a much better idea.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:17 AM   #11
SerenityNetworks

Thanks for the input everyone.

I'd seen both the CMC curved and straight trigger drop-ins, but they are a bit more than I want to spend.

I like the idea of a slightly heavier two-stage trigger, but the Rock River Arms isn't a drop-in. I'll have to measure, but I suspect my pins are the correct size. That's probably not an issue. My my biggest concern with it not being a drop-in is adjustment. I don't want to be faced with parts not engaging properly because the tolerances/measurements the trigger was designed for don't match my rifle spot on. Then I end up with either a trigger that I need to spend hours trying to adjust or possibly it never works quite right.

Thoughts?
Old May 9, 2018, 03:43 AM   #12
DnPRK

Geissele G2S is a 2 stage trigger for a little more money.
Old May 9, 2018, 07:25 AM   #13
Mobuck

My coyote carbine is an Adams Arms piston upper on a "something or other(maybe Anderson)" lower with an ALG ACT trigger. This is as light (4.5#) as I want when wearing gloves and smooth enough to not hinder shots to the outer range for which the carbine is capable.
Old May 9, 2018, 08:22 AM   #14
SerenityNetworks

Just to clarify the glove situation. If I'm hunting in the cold I either wear mittens with finger slots or gloves with a flip back tip on the trigger finger. It's always possible, but in 60-some years of hunting I've never taken a shot without a bare trigger finger.

Right now I'm wondering if 3.5# is too light for a hunting AR. I have other hunting rifles with a 3.5# pull, but they are bolt guns.
Old May 9, 2018, 03:25 PM   #15
RC20

Thanks for the input everyone.

I'd seen both the CMC curved and straight trigger drop-ins, but they are a bit more than I want to spend.

Quote:
I like the idea of a slightly heavier two-stage trigger, but the Rock River Arms isn't a drop-in. I'll have to measure, but I suspect my pins are the correct size. That's probably not an issue. My my biggest concern with it not being a drop-in is adjustment. I don't want to be faced with parts not engaging properly because the tolerances/measurements the trigger was designed for don't match my rifle spot on. Then I end up with either a trigger that I need to spend hours trying to adjust or possibly it never works quite right.
I dropped it into a S&W MP-22, my brother dropped it into a MP AR15.

I don't remember if it came in the two pin sizes but it was a complete replacement drop in for an AR type.

Included detailed directions for ensuring it was function exactly correctly with like 4 or 6 test (download the PDF if you can)
Old May 9, 2018, 04:52 PM   #16
SerenityNetworks

Thanks RC20.
Old May 10, 2018, 03:16 PM   #17
RC20

You are welcome. I don't shoot ARs anymore (nothing against them things changed and where I am at for shooting, but my brother does.

I think he had put a Timney in his. After he shot my trigger, he bought the RR Match and sold the Timney. He said it was enough better that it was worth it.

Tags
ar15 trigger , drop-in trigger , trigger