The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 29, 2017, 09:44 AM   #1
Jeffm004

3-Gun - Couple beginner questions on gear

I am taking a 3-Gun intro course. For equipment it says:

Equipment requirements:
Don’t have all the gear you need? Ask us about demo equipment!
– AR-15 style rifle
– Semi-automatic pistol
– 12 gauge autoloading or pump action shotgun
– Belt, holster, shotgun shell caddies, mag pouch
– 100 rounds of shotgun; 100 rounds of pistol; 100 rounds of rifle; 10 slugs
– Eye and ear protection

100 rounds of shotgun - I assume that is buckshot? Midway has 250 Buckshot for $79.99, I never buy it, they say that is 50% off. Deal?

http://www.eabco.net/Remington-870-1...-_p_14204.html

These go from 6 to 10 shot mag extensions. With the standard 870 smooth slug barrel, what is the longest I can get and not stick out the end? I have seen them sticking past the barrel but I'm not interested in that. Is there a "better" extension?

I have a few choices in handguns. Some with upgraded sights but otherwise stock. Is there any obvious advantage/trend between SA, SA/DA or 9mm vs. .45?

I'll need an OWB holster. Any suggestions?

My AR has a scope/ 20". I could put the original handle irons/16" back on but there is not much in the middle unless I buy something to mount at 90 which I have considered. The scope is a Weaver 1.5 to 6x. I'm not feeling like I have to change anything but would consider it.

I'm doing this for fun. I'm choking and puking on the $250 for the course so cost is a factor on what I get.

tx
Old January 29, 2017, 09:50 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

Don't buy anything yet. Go to a shoot and talk to active shooters. Believe me, you'll be money ahead and will start out much more competitive. I've been there and know this for a fact. It costs nothing to go and watch and talk. I've spent thousands of dollars over the years getting into new shooting sports and found out pretty quick I DID NOT have the right equipment. The guys shooting and winning will have the right equipment. Also, if you start out with "lesser" equipment you won't win and you'll end up selling that stuff for a loss and buying new stuff to replace it. Sad fact of the matter is this: if you're competitive by nature and like the game, you're going to spend a lot of money to win. I kept working ten years after I could have retired just to pay for my shooting. It isn't cheap. It costs even more if you want to win. Go slow on buying. I wish you the best of luck, it's a lot of fun...just expensive.
Old January 29, 2017, 12:09 PM   #3
g.willikers

Since they're offering demo (rental) equipment, why not just go with that?
Whatever they charge is certainly less expensive than doing anything else, at least at first.
P.S.
If the $250 course fee is a problem, you might be picking the wrong game.
You might want to start with something like USPSA and just a pistol instead.
Just a realistic thought.
Old January 29, 2017, 01:00 PM   #4
FITASC

I didn't read "demo" as rental, more like 'used for sale".
As to the shotgun ammo, call and ask. If you can get by with a 100 pack of Walmart Federal, that will be a lot cheaper on your wallet and nicer on your shoulder.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 29, 2017, 01:06 PM   #5
Tad_T

100 rounds shotgun usually means bird or target shells.

It is generally specified when you need anything else such as the 10 slugs.
Old January 30, 2017, 06:53 AM   #6
Jeffm004

Well of course. I have a case of 00 in the mail from Midway :/

A pretty good plan in motion is usually better than a perfect plan in coordination

tx
Old January 31, 2017, 03:08 PM   #7
gunrunner1

My club has 3-gun, three types of handgun matches, 600-yard F-Class, 600-yard IBS matches, tactical rifle matches, trap, skeet, and sporting clays. I tell people to go the match you are thinking about getting into and see what type of equipment everyone has and talk to people. Most of them will even let you shoot their guns. That way you have a good idea up front how much money you'll be into it for.
Old January 31, 2017, 03:35 PM   #8
MarkCO

If you have not shot a local match, nor any action pistol matches, the $250 won't be well spent. If you have already paid for the class, STOP...ASK the instructor your questions. Demo equipment means loaner. 100 rounds of shotgun means birdshot. Usually light target, 7.5 or 8 shot. Go with the 16" irons for now.

My common answer to people who want to shoot 3Gun...

Go shoot an IDPA or USPSA pistol match. Help, learn, and get to at least C class before embarking in 3Gun.

3Gun is EXPENSIVE and it is generally NOT a good way to learn fundamentals. No idea who the instructor is, but there are a LOT of hacks teaching 3Gun classes these days.
Old January 31, 2017, 03:47 PM   #9
RickB

Every competition shooter has a box full of holsters and other gear that has either been replaced with something better, or was no good to begin with.

I'd recommend that you shoot your guns in the configuration with which you are most familiar; if you usually shoot the AR with a scope, don't take the scope off for the class.
There will be enough new and unfamiliar stuff going on that you will want your guns and gear to be what you're used to.

Different competitive divisions require different gear, so, for instance, you don't want an extra-long mag extension on your shotgun if you are shooting any sort of "tactical" or "stock" division.

If you need a holster for the class, get a straight-drop, strong-side holster that is a good fit on your GUNbelt. You absolutely need a good-quality belt to hold all the gear required for 3-gun.
Old January 31, 2017, 04:07 PM   #10
FITASC

Quote:
Midway has 250 Buckshot for $79.99, I never buy it, they say that is 50% off. Deal?
Yes, it is. Considering most flats of target ammo run about that price and most buck shot I see runs close to $1/ea, buy a flat and you'll have it for when you need it.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 31, 2017, 06:17 PM   #11
Eazyeach

There is a 3 gun match in Wilmington Ohio. I think it's the 1st Sunday of the month(google it). Go there as a spectator and watch and learn. Is your into to 3gun class at Miami valley shooting grounds? If it is let me know how you like it. I live up in Troy and have been thinking about taking that class. Btw the Wilmington 3gun comp is not very expensive. Probably not as cool as the matches on tv. But it would probably be a good inexpensive place to start. Be safe and have fun.
Old January 31, 2017, 11:16 PM   #12
Jeffm004

I'm going to the range at Wilmington for the course March 23. Ohio State tournament is in Wilmington March 24/25ish, that weekend.