The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 2, 2015, 09:34 AM   #51
45Gunner

I shoot several times a week. At least once a week I shoot at a public range that lets anyone into the range that signs a liability waiver. I also shoot a couple of times a week at a private range that is located in what can be considered not the nicest part of town. That range has an gate with a padlock that each member has a combination to open. The gate remains open until the last member leaves the parking lot. That means when I am on the range, the gate is open.

My feeling is that if I have an unloaded gun at the public range, I could fall victim to a maniac that decides he is Wyatt Earp or some other cowboy and wants to shoot everyone he sees. At the private range, when the gate is open, no telling who might wonder in. I always keep a fully loaded concealed gun upon my person as I do with a dual magazine pouch. As a matter of fact, it is my EDC gun. If I decide to shoot it, I will take another fully loaded 1911 and conceal it. The bottom line is that I never want to be anywhere, including the shooting range without a means to defend myself.

Am I being paranoid? All it takes is once to get caught in a situation where you needed a gun and didn't have one. Been there. Not fun.
NRA Life Member
Old September 4, 2015, 12:35 PM   #52
armoredman

No, being paranoid would be refusing to go to the range for fear someone will rob you, which is still a statistically unlikely event. Since it has actually happened more than one time, being prepared is not being paranoid.

Last edited by armoredman; September 4, 2015 at 04:22 PM. Reason: forgot the "t" in "event"
Old September 4, 2015, 01:16 PM   #53
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
No, being paranoid would be refusing to go to the range for fear someone will rob you, which is still a statistically unlikely even. Since it has actually happened more than one time, being prepared is not being paranoid.
Perfect response.

Insinuating that we're fear driven and paranoid.... I think a lot of people are on the wrong forum.

Last edited by Tom Servo; October 3, 2015 at 07:02 PM. Reason: "Left wing" nonsense
Old September 4, 2015, 01:31 PM   #54
Erno86

May I suggest not keeping any visible valuable items in your car, on the gun range parking lot.

If you are alone on firing line during a ceasefire...take your empty gun {action open, magazine removed} cased or uncased while setting up a target --- Because the robbers will case the isolated firing line for any firearms, while a shooter is downrange.

--- George Orwell
Old September 4, 2015, 01:48 PM   #55
Erno86

In one instance on our 100 yard AGC Barnes Range, one guy had his rifle stolen right off the gun rack, behind the concrete firing pad. He searched behind a building near the parking lot and found it.

One guy had his tool box that was stock full of reloading dies, stolen off his open tailgate of his SUV on the same parking lot.

Our 200 yard range parking lot has had a number of recorded instances where cars have been broken into; including broken in firearm lockers behind the firing pad.

On our 50 yard pistol range: One shooter had a box of 3 extra Encore pistol barrels stolen off the firing pad.

--- George Orwell
Old October 3, 2015, 04:48 PM   #56
Sequins

Anyine else wear a vest to the range? I go to an indoor range which is quite cool, so it's not uncomfortable. It's only a IIA but I shoot the pistol range and I've never seen anyone with a .44 or X-frame. I'm more worried about accidents than intentionally being shot.

I also believe in "concealed is concealed". Unless a no gun sign carries the weight of law I'd recommend ignoring it. Just wear your CCW same as always and conceal it same as always and leave when asked if you are made- that's legal in my jurisdiction. My range allows CCWs though so for me it's academic.
Old October 3, 2015, 06:52 PM   #57
Pipefighter

I have a range at my house. I do carry and think about all these things when I'm at the hunt club.
Old October 3, 2015, 07:05 PM   #58
garryc

When I'm shooting rifles I always have my Concealed on me, since I wore it to the range and never took it off.

With handguns I'm always hot, the weapon holstered loaded. Holster empty is something I never do.

If I'm shooting a gun and don't have a holster then my concealed is on me because I never took it off.
Old October 3, 2015, 09:36 PM   #59
9x18_Walther

This post is starting to scare me.

Would be nice to find a vetted club.
Old October 3, 2015, 10:12 PM   #60
armoredman

I have worn a vest to my Dept qualification...and THAT is no joke.
Old October 4, 2015, 08:07 AM   #61
corsair82pilot

Semper vigilantem!
No need for paranoia, but even others at the range need to be watched.
Remember Chris Kyle.
Old October 4, 2015, 11:14 AM   #62
johnelmore

Im not worried about purposeful shootings at the range so much as Im worried about accidendal shootings therefore I wear armor to the range and quite a few others I see do the same thing to include the rangemaster. I also believe unsupervised ranges should not exist. The range should be supervised by someone who is not afraid to let people know when tbe rules are being violated.
Old October 4, 2015, 02:16 PM   #63
johnwilliamson062

I'm not normally in the "concealed is concealed"school, but at the range I am. The safety rule is to eliminate the chance of an ND when someone is down range. If I am carrying concealed and the firearm is in its holster the chance of an ND is no higher than anywhere else. Like a carry gun I take into a gun shop I am not going to un-holster it for any reason other than use in defense. If for some reason I decide I need to I will return to my car, unload, store properly with flag, and return.
Old October 4, 2015, 02:36 PM   #64
Nick_C_S

I have a conceal carry permit.

I exercise my permit while I'm at the range - just like anywhere else.
Old October 4, 2015, 09:29 PM   #65
armoredman

Quote:
I also believe unsupervised ranges should not exist.
Firmly disagree. All of my non-hunting shooting takes place at our excellent un supervised local outdoor range, which, to the best of my knowledge, has a safer record than the WalMart parking lot.
Old October 4, 2015, 09:56 PM   #66
Deaf Smith

On any range where there is no safety officer I always pack a snub and shoot other guns. Especially at large ranges.
Old October 5, 2015, 06:19 AM   #67
Sport45

My carry gun is in my waistband when I'm at the range and this isn't breaking any rules.

I often go to the range alone and it's not unusual for me to be 100 yards away from my rifles when changing targets. I know my carry gun would be of little use if someone decided to grab a rifle and run or even grab a rifle and shoot me. There's not even a good place to take cover if one decided to start shooting as the berm would be a difficult climb.

But I carry on and don't worry about it.
Old October 5, 2015, 08:56 AM   #68
g.willikers

Most of my shooting practice has been at unsupervised ranges of one kind or another.
So far the greatest risk has been some of the other people using the range, rather than any criminal.
That's why I always wait and watch who's there and how they are behaving, before even unpacking.
Old October 5, 2015, 10:55 AM   #69
zach_

I am happy to know that the indoor range that I use has at least 5 armed employees watching over the place at all times, usually more than 5 actually. One of the outdoor ranges have at least 2 armed employees.
One range is outdoor, but all of the employees do not open carry for some reason. I CC at all ranges, full time. Aside from people always driving through the parking lots too fast, I feel safe.
Old October 5, 2015, 01:53 PM   #70
Erno86

Besides our SRSO's on our outdoor range in Marriottsville... members or guests carrying a loaded firearm, concealed or open carry on AGC property, while not following typical firearm protocol for our range --- is against AGC range rules.

--- George Orwell
Old October 5, 2015, 02:58 PM   #71
9x18_Walther

The public range I visit has a ton of safety officers and cameras that cover each bench. You even touch a gun during a cease fire and you will be chewed out in a split second over the intercom.
Old October 17, 2015, 07:51 AM   #72
Dirty_Harry

If I am not drinking or at work I go out of my way to be armed. Always carry your firearm and practice with it.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old October 19, 2015, 05:38 AM   #73
Moonglum

Considering self defense at the range isn't paranoid, it's prudent.

There was a THR member who was murdered while shooting alone at a remote, public range several years ago. No suspect (that I'm aware of) was ever identified but it was speculated that he was murdered for his guns.

I go to a members only range and I never go alone. I normally go with my wife and when one goes down range to check the targets the other stays with the guns.

I carry while at the range, the gun I'm "carrying" never comes out of the holster and never gets unloaded.
Old October 19, 2015, 06:55 AM   #74
zach_

Moonglum, did they go to his home as well after getting his keys, and vehicle with documents with a home address? Any details or links?
Old October 19, 2015, 05:49 PM   #75
Moonglum

Quote:
Moonglum, did they go to his home as well after getting his keys, and vehicle with documents with a home address? Any details or links?
This was years ago. I think his wife posted an announcement with links to the obits and news story.

I see quite a few familiar names around here perhaps one of the THR mods can fill us in