The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 16, 2021, 12:11 PM   #51
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I can't say this turned me off Midway, because I made that decision years ago. However, this thread did convince me never to consider buying a Cimarron firearm. Somehow, Cimarron got my e-mail address and I've been getting notices when Mike Harvey puts out another of his cringe-worthy firearms history videos. The man sounds senile, but he sure is proud of himself.

If I want an Italian replica, I'll buy it directly from Uberti or Pietta, or from Cabela's. As for Chiappa -- thanks, but no thanks.
Jeepaholic
Old June 13, 2021, 10:34 AM   #52
GJeffB

OK, resurrecting the thread to close it out.
Since the last post, I filed a BBB complaint in TX. After attempts to contact Cimarron without reply the BBB closed their file with a "Not Responsive" note for 3 years. Curiously shortly after I received information from Cimarron that my rifle was received from the factory noting 15 minutes of shop time and "barrel retightened." That was around end of March. That was the good news. Bad news was there was additional, new damage to the forearm. Cimarron returned it to the "factory" and we rinse and repeat.

More blah blah, excuses, non-response, etc. Long story short, finally the rifle arrived back to me 5/24/2021. I finally got it to the range a week later, all my reloads chambered but failed to allow the block to close, causing all sorts of bad thoughts. Ultimately turned out to be my error (whew!). Over-crimping causing enough case bulging to cause failure to completely chamber. A second trip a week later after remedying the load problem was successful. All rounds chambered, locked up, and fired. This was a function test only, but the rifle seemed to be reasonably accurate. "Normal" load and accuracy development will follow. This closes out my experience with Cimarron/Chiappa.

Take aways:
Would I buy another Chiappa of any model? NONBFNo [not only no but fersure no]
Would I buy another ANY make/model from Cimarron? Same answer
Not here to bash. It's just that the comedy of errors, failure to answer communication (the snow storm notwithstanding), and the seller's (Cimarron) apparent inability to get satisfactory responses from their own supplier (Chiappa) just doesn't make it worth another purchase. Coupled with the rather poor repair efforts makes it a "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." YMMV

-jb, expending energy on far more important things
Old June 13, 2021, 11:17 AM   #53
Jim Watson

I am glad you ended up with a shootable rifle.

A friend and I went 'round and 'round with Cimarron on the ASM Schofields that an Australian reviewer said were better than Uberti. Wrong. We finally got partial refunds of the wholesale price. Which was not a huge loss, the FFL had not charged us much to put n the order, so we were only out a $20 markup and shipping to return the duds.
Old June 14, 2021, 10:14 PM   #54
GJeffB

Thanks Jim.
Hmmm. Another forum post basically said I should have known the "Chicrappa" wasn't the quality of Pedersoli and I should have known or inquired if it was an inferior firearm. I guess I wasn't the only one to have difficulty with the vendor, as opposed to the manufacturer.

As you said, I'm glad you didn't get burned too badly by Cimarron. My assessment stands, I appreciate knowing I'm not the only one.

-jb, shoot straight and safely
Old June 15, 2021, 12:36 PM   #55
4V50 Gary
Staff

At last an equitable resolution.
Old June 16, 2021, 02:06 AM   #56
Scorch

Even though it's not a great experience, you got it resolved. Cimarron is just a distributor, their rifles are made for them by the lowest bidder, they have marketing types come up with catchy names, and they just sell them and hope nothing goes wrong. Chiappa (Armisport in Italy) is a manufacturer who makes guns to designs. I make it a point to never buy guns made by people who don't shoot guns (shooting is not really part of the culture of most European states any more). Does that make me a gun snob? Maybe, but I don't care.
Old June 16, 2021, 01:53 PM   #57
Alamosa Bill

Glad you got it sorted Jeff, what a PIA. I have a Pedersoli Sharps and when doing my research found out about Chiapa and so gave them a wide birth. Mine is a 25 year old second hand rifle and is superb. Cheers from Uk.
Old June 20, 2021, 06:37 PM   #58
Electrod47

Read the entire thread today. Wow. This is a sobering tale for sure. Good to know.