The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 21, 2017, 06:29 PM   #1
Pops1085

Extremely happy with my Ruger American

I'm not much of a reviewer, or a writer for that matter, but I just wanted to let you guys know that I am in love with the Ruger American rifle in 308. I had heard good things about them so today with Gander Mtn. having a 30% sale I went and picked one up. $320 out the door. Just their standard model and it came with a Redfield 3-9 scope on it.

The first few rounds didn't group very well, about 2" for the first 6 shots, and the scope was off by about a foot and a half, so that was frustrating. After that I broke out the lead sled, just to see how it really would group and was amazed. I'm getting sub-moa accuracy out of a $400 rifle... Never would have believed it. Consistently too... not just one but 4 consecutive 3 shot groups.

I will admit, the recoil is a little fierce, with the gun being something in the ballpark of 6.5lbs. but honestly it isn't a gun that I intend on bench rest shooting all the time. More of a light weight, walking around gun. I would've been happy with 2" groups for it's intended use, but I'm so impressed by this little guy that I just had to let some people know... Maybe I just got lucky.
Old June 21, 2017, 06:37 PM   #2
zipspyder

I just got mine as well in 7mm-08 and really like the accuracy. And yes I agree it has quite a bark due to it being a lighter rifle. Seriously thinking of a muzzle break.
Old June 21, 2017, 06:43 PM   #3
Nunya53

I'm glad to see a positive review. The Ruger American is a stand-up rifle from what I've seen and it's good to see people singing it's praise. Usually, only the discontented speak in the inter webs.......

Nunya
Old June 21, 2017, 08:47 PM   #4
jmr40

They keep multiplying in my safe. I bought a 223 Compact when they 1st came out. Little rifle is a true tackdriver with quality ammo. A few years later a 308 Predator joined the safe and most recently another Predator in 6.5
Creedmoor.

I have less than $1000 in all 3, about what I have in some individual rifles. I'd still trust one of my more expensive guns if reliability were the primary concern, but nothing in my safe is more accurate.

Not that I've had any problems, but the rifles haven't been out long enough to establish any track record. The magazines are cheesy looking and were a concern of mine. But none have bobbled in the years I've owned my rifles.

Winston Churchill
Old June 21, 2017, 09:24 PM   #5
TXAZ

What .308 round are you using, factory or hand load?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 21, 2017, 09:50 PM   #6
Wildernesshunter

Oh my goodness.....you are speaking my language.....

I purchased a Ruger American in a .270 and absolutely love the rifle. With crappy, Walmart ammo...it is shooting 1MOA. I have 40 pills loaded for it, in 130gr that I am eager to test fire.

...But this little rifle is a winner!!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!

And....for sentimentality....I have a Redfield scope on it.... AWESOME!!!

Old June 21, 2017, 11:00 PM   #7
ripnbst

I do not have one of my own but between my hunting buddies I can account for 3 more examples all of which are MOA rifles with store bought ammo. Being able to hit a dinner plate at 600 yards for under $400 with factory ammo, what a time to be alive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old June 22, 2017, 12:05 AM   #8
Pops1085

It's with factory ammo, Federal 168 grain sierra match kings. I have only one other 308 right now and it also shoots it very well. Honestly have had very good luck with this load from Federal over a few calibers as well.
Old June 22, 2017, 03:58 PM   #9
ripnbst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops1085 View Post
It's with factory ammo, Federal 168 grain sierra match kings. I have only one other 308 right now and it also shoots it very well. Honestly have had very good luck with this load from Federal over a few calibers as well.

That load is considered the gold standard by which all other loadings are measured by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 22, 2017, 05:00 PM   #10
dahermit

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, why a target bullet? A Ruger American is hunting rifle is it not, why not hunting bullets (presumably with a jacket thickness and design intended for expansion on game)?
Old June 22, 2017, 07:27 PM   #11
amd6547

Because the OP was shooting...targets?
Old June 22, 2017, 08:14 PM   #12
Pops1085

Wait... are you saying you only shoot hunting rounds from guns you think are meant for hunting?

If you want to see how accurate a rifle can be, you should use the most accurate load you can use.
Old June 22, 2017, 08:53 PM   #13
Deerhunt

I know that it is way different but I'll tell you anyway. I needed a light rifle for trapping a while back and at the LGS there was a ruger American rimfire compact in 17hmr for $200. It was light weight,had really nice sights,and was 17 hmr which is a caliber I didn't have a gun in. I bought it and soon it replaced my Henry in 22lr for going back to check traps and shooting varmints around the house. So far I've shot 3 coons in traps,2 coons,5 possums,and a woodchuck. Anything out of the traps was in the dark (they were eating the cat food) and the original sights work great (my Henry I had to use my mouth to shine a flashlight down the barrel to see the sights)
Old June 23, 2017, 06:49 AM   #14
Picher

A few years ago, I re-mounted the scope that Cabelas had done poorly, and sighted-in a .308 Ruger American for a buddy. I was very impressed with the bedding system and accuracy. Trigger was nice also.

For whatever reason, we couldn't find the ammo he wanted at the time, but found some Federal hunting ammo that it loved. I shot a couple of sub-MOA groups with it.

He loves hunting with the rifle and got a couple of deer, so far.
Old June 23, 2017, 07:54 AM   #15
zipspyder

Just to add to the conversation there are plenty of hunters who use match grade ammunition to hunt game. They like it for the type of game they hunt. Not my cup of tea but whatever works for you.
Old June 23, 2017, 09:11 AM   #16
kraigwy

After sending my wife to a long range shooting school she had to have a 6.5 Creedmoor so I bought her a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM.

After playing with her 6.5 I used an excuse for wanting a light antelope/deer rifle to justify buying a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM.

Highly impress, it shoots as good as wife's RPR at 1/3 the price.

Up comes a request to help rid a ranch of Prairie Dogs so I ended up buying wife her own Varmint rifle, a American Predator in 204 Ruger. Another super accurate moderately priced rifle. I put a muzzle brake on the 204 and you can watch the action of the shot. It doesn't move.

Congrats to Ruger for making a Rifle that anyone can afford yet accurate enough to compete with $1500-3000 precision rifles.

Every since Ruger's little Mark Series 22 Auto Pistols, Ruger had led the game of keeping shooting sports from becoming a Rich Man's Sport.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 23, 2017, 11:20 AM   #17
gunnre

Picked mine up ina 308 few weeks back. $330 otd. Waiting on Ruger to send new magazine as it would double load if I have 4 in it. Should recieve today. So more fun for me at the range tomorrow.
Old June 23, 2017, 11:38 AM   #18
Pops1085

Cmon guys, of course you use proper hunting bullets when hunting... you just use match ammo when shooting paper and seeing how accurate the rifle is.
Old June 23, 2017, 03:21 PM   #19
dahermit

It seems odd that shooters here will go to extremes touting the benefits of "modern, controlled expansion, etc., etc.", bullets that "extend the range", "improve performance", etc., but then no one seems to have a problem with the suggestion that bullets constructed for target purposes are also good for hunting. When did that all change?
Old June 23, 2017, 03:28 PM   #20
zipspyder

If you are talking my post nobody said they were good for hunting but some have used them with success. I'm talking deer or smaller sized game from what I know. I would definitely not recommend them.
Old June 24, 2017, 09:45 AM   #21
the possum

Biggest thing we can shoot with rifles here in Illannoy is coyotes. A target bullet from a .308 should still have plenty of smackdown on 'em. And generally, the target bullets are much cheaper, and often just as or more accurate.
Old June 27, 2017, 01:07 AM   #22
Bamashooter

I shot a doe once with my mosin nagant that was loaded with 174gr SMK's and it blew a hole as big as my fist out the back side of that deer. The ammo was S&B factory loaded with the sierra bullets. I was amazed at what that match bullet did to that doe. Other than that shot Ive never used a match bullet for hunting but they will kill!

Oh and BTW I have been thinking about a 308 Ruger American but something like the Predator or Compact model instead of the standard. The 450 Bushmaster Ranch would be a cool rifle to own too. Hmmm
Old June 27, 2017, 02:16 AM   #23
bamaranger

reports

Reports of the American series being accurate and a real value abound. While I am not fond of the path that new Ruger has tread since the death of the old man, the American is winning me over and I see a Predator, maybe two, in my future.
Old June 27, 2017, 06:28 PM   #24
CWKahrFan

I have the 30-06 and it's VERY accurate and consistent... I feel the simplicity of their free-float barrel setup is pure genius.
Old June 30, 2017, 10:33 AM   #25
bigbird34

I purchased a Ruger all American in .308 win for a friend, who needed to downsize from a Weatherby 270mag, I sighted it in for him and with the second group of reloads I had all 3 touching , Impressed at the group , to say the least .....the scope on the gun was a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 .....if anything it's a rifle suited for hunting, and lighter than the Weatherby , and I know the .308 won't kick anything like that 270WTHBY mag.
I need to buy one, it's just trying to squeeze it into the safe that is the issue.

BB34