The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 25, 2017, 07:39 PM   #1
Crypticscribbles

Custom S&W 929 work

In the near future I would like to start competing in the USPSA revolver division. The gun best suited to the rules is the S&W 929, however I simply want a shorter barrel than 6.5 inches. What process could I go threw to get a 4 inch barrel on a 929. I have access to a basic machine shop, my uncle is a tool maker and I studied machining for 2 years. I have zero experience working on revolvers. Any suggestions would be nice. Thank you.
Old July 25, 2017, 08:31 PM   #2
MrBorland

Last I checked, the 627 was at least as popular as the 929 in USPSA, and those shooters would shoot .38 short colts, or some personal variant between .38 short and long colt length. I mention it because the 627 Pro comes with a 4" barrel.

BTW, why do you want a 4" barrel for USPSA? There's a reason why few revolver shooters in USPSA opt for a 4" barrel.

As far as shortening the 929, any competent gunsmith ought to be able to do that. Since a new front sight has to be installed, I'd recommend the same 'smith install a Weigand front sight base and fiber optic interchangeable front sight.