The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 23, 2017, 12:10 PM   #26
Armybrat

I have only one Single Six - bought it new in 1959...

Old July 23, 2017, 01:09 PM   #27
Omaha-BeenGlockin

The 5.5in would be my pick too----I have a stainless 6.5in only because I got a great deal on it.

Had a blued 5.5 in the past that I never should have never gotten rid of.

Not many magnums through mine either but they're fun to shoot now and then---almost transforms the SS into a snorting beast---almost.
-------Metallica
Old July 23, 2017, 01:10 PM   #28
Tinbucket

I had an aluminum framed Ruger, I think was a single Six way back when. Wish I had it back.
I have Ruger Single Six Convertible Stainless now. Like it very well. Do wish the sights ere stainless too. I need a good holster but it would rub the black off the front sight. I've polished, by hand, mine to a mirror shine.
Old July 24, 2017, 03:34 PM   #29
Armybrat

The trigger guard & backstrap on my '59 above is aluminum, but the frame itself is steel. Don't know about the ejector rod housing.

I & my sons have worn all the blue finish off the backstrap & most of the trigger guard over the past 58 years, but the gun still locks up tight & shoots where it is pointed.
Old July 24, 2017, 04:43 PM   #30
dgludwig

Quote:
Do wish the sights ere stainless too.
Boy, not me. I have a hard enough time picking up the black ones in terms of acquiring the sight picture against most backgrounds.
Old July 24, 2017, 06:26 PM   #31
rock185

They are fun little guns. I've owned 3 or 4. The last two were a 4 5/8" stainless, and currently a 4 5/8" blue version. I've never been particularly impressed with the accuracy of my Single-Six revolvers, but others report better results so perhaps it's the shooter.

BTW, I may be the only guy in the known world that shoots these little guns almost exclusively with .22 Magnum ammunition. I admit I have little interest in .22LR,. and enjoy shooting centerfires much more. The .22 WMR feels a little closer to the centerfires. The extra expense is not much of a factor since I don't shoot the .22 WMR all that much either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg .22 Mag. (9).JPG (117.4 KB, 26 views)
Old July 25, 2017, 12:11 AM   #32
44 AMP
Staff

Stainless or polished bright sights LOOK good on a stainless gun, but they are inferior in actual use to dark matt sights.

Differences in the way light reflects off polished sights (angle of the sun at time of shooting) can produce changed in the point of impact, vs point of aim.

That's the reason sights are usually matt black, and stippled or grooved to prevent or reduce glare.

Lots of us use black paint, or Sharpie markers to blacken bright sights. Sharpie works pretty well, lasts reasonably well, and is simple and easy to touch up holster wear. Just be sure to remove all oil from areas you intend to "paint".
Old August 5, 2017, 10:18 AM   #33
OldScout

I bought the Ruger 22/22mag single six when I bought my Henry 22mag rifle. They made a great couple. My only problem was the slow loading and unloading the Ruger. But it is a very accurate pistol. And just for comparison of the 22lr and 22mag. The velocity of the 22mag at 100 yds is the same as the velocity of the 22lr at the muzzle.