The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 2, 2011, 11:58 AM   #1
gefdevelopment

Ortgies

I am new to automatic handguns, but I have handled revolvers for years. An elderly local gentleman, who is a WW2 vet, recently gave me an Ortgies that he had purchased whilst in Germany during the war (WW2). It seems to be an old type with HO on a golden colored insert on each side of the handle. This gun is in perfect condition, except the blueing is worn off of the sharp edges because this weapon was carried as a sidearm by my friend while he was in Germany during the war. I also have the original holister, which is in need of repair.

Are all 32 caliber rounds the same ? Or, do I need to shop for a certain load for my "new" pistol? 6 rounds came in the pistol, but they probably date back to WW2. I won't shoot those, but will keep them as keepsakes.

There is a number on the underneath side of the frame in front of the trigger. I assume that this is the serial number, because the are other numbers inside this gun that matches up, like on the barrel. This number is L4651. Is that a valid serial number for this type gun ?
Old August 2, 2011, 12:42 PM   #2
dreamweaver

congrats on a great little gun. it shoots .32ACP. stick with standard loads and you'll have no problems.
did he tell you how to get the grips off?
Old August 2, 2011, 01:33 PM   #3
Goatwhiskers

A well made little gun, has no screws as I recall, only 4 pins. Bear in mind that the firing pin has 2 small hooks that engage the sear, and if one breaks off it will allow the firing pin to rotate and fire the chambered round. Happened to someone I know who kept the gun tucked in his front waistband, removed the right family jewel. Keep it well lubricated, I repaired one that the disconnector had worn out---a full mag with one squeeze is exciting. Goatwhiskers the Elder