The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 6, 2017, 10:18 PM   #26
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those cases don't look like they were blown out, they look like the heads were literally torn off, like a loading tool pulled the heads off. There is no sign of pressure release as there should be when a case lets go from high pressure (or any normal pressure) inside it.

Yet, a case torn apart that way should allow the pressure to go somewhere, and we see no sighs of that pressure. It looks to me as though the gun fired, the bullet left the barrel, the pressure dropped, then the extractor pulled the case apart on extraction. But that shouldn't happen; if the pressure has dropped, the front of the case would not be held to the chamber walls. Still, there is something here we are not seeing. More evidence, please, Watson.

Jim
Old September 6, 2017, 10:31 PM   #27
James K
Member In Memoriam

Decided to add a separate post on this. Those cases look like some I have seen from folks playing with blowback designs and unlocked breeches. I will add no more on that, as it can get into areas I don't want to get into.

Jim
Old September 6, 2017, 10:46 PM   #28
Dufus

^^^^
What he said, plus there is no soot shown in the tear or around it.

Evidence in the photos indicate that the problem started after the firing sequence was over.
Old September 7, 2017, 01:39 AM   #29
mete

I'd really like to see them .
It reminds me of development of the HK P7. Originally the chamber was not grooved and the heads were torn off ! What they call positive extraction !!
Old September 8, 2017, 01:16 PM   #30
Jim Watson

Quote:
Those cases look like some I have seen from folks playing with blowback designs and unlocked breeches. I will add no more on that, as it can get into areas I don't want to get into.
The PCC fad, mostly blowback 9mms, has generated some very strange brass. Had one here last week just shred the case and blow out the magazine, maybe some of the guts of the action, too. Don't know why not to get into it, though, unless you are an expert witness in a court case.
Old September 29, 2017, 11:11 AM   #31
RileyMartin

Update

I contacted the company and they were already aware of others experiencing the same problem. They were great and sent me a return shipping label to exchange the faulty ammo for brand new. Got my replacement ammo this week! Great service! I had saved the cases from the ammo that didn't have issues for reloading but concearned they will fail.

Tags
accident , failure