The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 19, 2013, 01:03 AM   #1
tahunua001

thinking about getting a suppressor...

hello all. I am thinking about getting a suppressor but I'm not sure if one I want is feasible. I have a Ruger 22/45 lite with the 1/2x28 threaded muzzle as well as an AR15 in 5.56. if I do get a suppressor I would like one that I could swap back and forth between the 22/45 and AR15. my question is, is a 223 rated suppressor going to be too big to use with 22 pistol or will it be fine. I really do not want to have to modify my pistol because the sights hide behind the suppressor.
Old December 19, 2013, 03:24 AM   #2
Theohazard

This question comes up a lot. I would really not recommended shooting .22 through a .223 can. You're going to want two different suppressors, one for .22 and one for .223.

Most center-fire rifle cans are sealed, meaning you can't take them apart: You don't need to clean a center-fire rifle can and they're stronger and quieter if they're sealed and can't be disassembled. The pressure is high enough that almost all the carbon fouling is blown right out of the can, and the thin layer that remains helps protect the baffles from heat and pressure and makes the can last longer, but this thin layer of carbon doesn't get too thick because of the huge amount of pressure going through the can with every shot.

But .22 is a different story; there is a lot of lead fouling even with copper-plated .22, and that lead will foul up your .223 suppressor and be virtually impossible to remove. Eventually it will get thick enough to affect performance and weigh down the can. And when you shoot .223 through it some of the lead fouling can get blasted around inside the can and might damage the baffles. This is why most people don't shoot .22 out of their rifle cans, and the ones that do regret it later.

And even if you didn't mind hurting your .223 suppressor by shooting it on your 22/45, it would still be extremely heavy for use on a .22 pistol; .223 cans are made to handle the pressure and heat of rapid-fire .223 so they're bigger and much heavier than even a heavy-duty .22 can.
Old December 19, 2013, 04:48 PM   #3
tahunua001

hmm, I didn't even think about lead fouling in the baffles..

well this is a bit of a let down... the 22 would be the most fun to suppress but the AR is the one that is a serious hearing killer.
Old December 19, 2013, 06:09 PM   #4
Theohazard

Yeah, you're pretty much spot on: Nothing is more fun to shoot than a suppressed .22 pistol, and a suppressed AR-15 is MUCH more pleasant to shoot than unsuppressed, especially indoors.

Here's what I have: I don't have a .22 can yet, but I have an SWR Octane 9 HD and an AAC 7.62 SDN-6. The SDN-6 lets me shoot any rifle caliber from .30-06 on down (it works great on 5.56 and 300 Blackout) and the Octane lets me shoot any pistol cartridge from .357 Mag on down.

And the Octane is one of the few pistol cans that works great with .22 rimfire; all other pistol cans I know of are either sealed or they'd be a real pain to take apart if leaded up. But the Octane is the same design as their Spectre 2 suppressor, just bigger and with a Nielson device. You'd think the Octane would be louder than the Spectre with .22, but it's actually noticeable quieter. I guess the extra volume makes up for the larger bore diameter.

The Octane is a lot lighter than a .223 suppressor, but it's still noticeably bigger and heavier on a .22 pistol than a real .22 can. That said, on a steel Ruger MkIII the Octane isn't too big or heavy and it's crazy quiet.

If you wanted to REALLY cover as many calibers as you can, you could get the Octane 45 HD instead of the 9; it's the same diameter and only about an inch longer. I might have gotten the 45 instead of the 9 for maximum versatility but it wasn't out yet when I bought my Octane 9.
Old December 19, 2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Indi

Huntertown Arms Kestral 556 might work for you. Its a 556 supressor that you can break down to clean. Which you will have to do if you want to shoot 22. I have a 22 sparrow for my 22lr stuff and I absolutely love it. Im glad that I got a dedicated 22 supressor, its the one I use the most. I also have a yhm ti762 for my rifles which is sealed. Also have a 45 osprey for my pistols..... never thought collecting stamps would become a hobby.

http://www.huntertownarms.com/k556.php

ive seen a pic on either this forum or another that I visit. Someone had one of these on a 22/45 and didnt look to big. My yhm ti762 would be ridiculous on a 22lr pistol.

heres a link to a pic with a ruger 22lr with kestrel 556.

https://www.okshooters.com/showthrea...hlight=kestrel

Last edited by Indi; December 19, 2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old December 20, 2013, 03:38 AM   #6
Theohazard

The Kestrel 5.56 seems like a good compromise, but it's exactly that; a compromise. It's made of steel instead of inconel so it's weaker than a normal 5.56 can, and yet it's still heavier than most 5.56 cans. And it's also louder than other 5.56 cans from the tests I've seen.

So it seems to me that the Kestrel is a mediocre 5.56 can at best. Sure, it can be used with .22 because it can be taken apart (though I don't know how difficult it will be to take it apart when leaded up), but it's heavier and louder than a normal 5.56 can, and even a normal-weight 5.56 can is too heavy to comfortably use on a .22.
Old December 20, 2013, 08:12 AM   #7
Indi

The kestrel is a compromise, agreed. My advice to the OP would be to get a dedicated 22lr can, and later get a rifle can. As I said above my 22lr can is the one ive used the most. The only reason I havent used it In a while is because the lack of 22lr on the shelves.
Old January 16, 2014, 12:05 PM   #8
tahunua001

alright thanks for the info guys.

I only have one dealer within an hour's drive that sells suppressors. his two main brands are gemtech and huntertown arms. he claims 6-9 months turn around on the paperwork which I was seriously surprised at.

for 22lr which would you suggest. the huntertown is cheaper and easily breaks down for cleaning, the gemtech on the other hand is much more compact and lighter.

for 5.56 I have about the same dilemma. anyone have enough experience with both brands to be able to give some insight?
Old January 16, 2014, 02:51 PM   #9
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahunua001
he claims 6-9 months turn around on the paperwork which I was seriously surprised at.
I'm surprised too; most of the time it's taking longer than that.

As far as Huntertown vs. Gemtech: I have very little knowledge of Huntertown's products, but from what I gather they aren't on the same level as the top-tier cans from companies like Silencerco. And Gemtech hasn't come out with much of anything new in the last several years. Most other companies have completely surpassed Gemtech in design and quality and Gemtech keeps selling their outdated suppressors based on name-recognition alone.

With Gemtech's .22 cans you're going to get a louder can that's harder to clean. And with their 5.56 cans you're going to get a less-durable, heavier, and louder can. And I doubt Huntertown is going to be much better, at least when compared to the top-tier companies.

This is a big investment that's going to last you a long time. You're almost certainly not going to be able to sell any of these suppressors ever. Don't settle just because that's all the dealer has in stock. Get a Sparrow or a Spectre II for your .22, and get a Saker or a M4-2000 for your 5.56. If you can't find a dealer that stocks those, order them online and transfer them through a dealer. Sure, you'll end up waiting about three months longer due to the Form 3 dealer transfer, but you'll end up with better suppressors for the same price.