The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 23, 2013, 11:02 PM   #1
Mystro

Range results from reciently returned custom shop P229 Special Configuration...pics

As previously posted. My P229 Special Configuration went to the Custom Shop for a Action Enhancement Package, feed ramp polish, and SRT install. While it was there I had warranty work done for a FTE with the Extractor. It took one week from the time it was picked up at my front door, till it was returned. There was a weekend and Federal holiday included in that time span. I gave the Sig rep my CC for payment for the Custom Shop work, look what they charged me..The invoice reads like this:

I put 300 rounds through it today of all kinds of ammo. Not one issue with any of the various 9mm rounds from reloads to multiple brands of PP JHP. I limp wristed, shot weak handed, anything I could do to intentionally mess the gun up and it performed like a champ.
Needless to say the gun runs perfect and is fixed. I also ran several +2Mecgar Magazines that is for my P229 Dark Elite 40 S&W. It ran perfect with 9mm and I would bet my life on its reliability. (so any P229 E2 40S&W and 9mm magazines by Mecgar are interchangeable.)
The P229 was always a shooter but with the smoothed action, its a tack driver.
I fired alot of different weight personal protection rounds and all shot extremely accurate. Below is a pic of all 6 kinds of PP ammo. I loaded one round of each kind and shot them together in one 6 shot setting at 20 yards. All grouped pretty good for 6 different weights of bullets. I would bet I could lay them all on top of each other at 7 yards.:

Here is one magazine I shot at 50 yards with junk reload ammo. All 16 rounds are right in there. The sight at that distance covered the entire paper.

Above shows what the gun can easily do at 20 yards. Here is a 5 shot group of Remington 124JHP +P Golden Saber. This is a excellent but nasty round that is very controllable. There are many good ballistic test of this round on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8h8Cy31xj8

I highly recommend the entire Custom Shop package. It turns a great gun into a Outstanding performer. The double action feels like 2 lbs less and the single action feels 1lbs lighter. Every thing is smooth as glass. Its probably the best IDPA/combat/edc gun package you could ever ask for.

Pic of the mags I used:

FYI....The "Special Configuration" is a rare gun assembled with special options. These options are not all found on one gun unless it is a "Special Configuration".
Fiber optic tritium front sight, skeleton trigger, etc...are some of the options found that makes the gun rare. Sig Custom Shop releases these guns occasionally but in very limited run numbers and they cant be ordered. When one gets released, they dont sit on the shelf long (or ever).

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; February 23, 2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:15 AM   #2
BuckRub

Glad u like it so much. I like accurate guns myself. But man those Sigs are the ugliest guns there is. I think Glocks are good looking pistols but it seems like hardly everyone else disagrees.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:38 AM   #3
BarryLee

Wow, nice gun and great job on SIG’s part “hookin you up”. I have a P229 Enhanced Elite model and it is a very nice shooting gun with a smooth trigger and nice accuracy.

So, is that nice little shooting range located at your house? If so I’m jealous of the range and the snow on the ground. Down here and Georgia it’s been a pretty wet and warm winter.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 24, 2013, 01:17 AM   #4
blackamos

I want one! I like the look and like the accuracy love the beavertail. Good job on getting that one.
Old February 24, 2013, 07:38 AM   #5
Mystro

Yea, i have a full 3 stage IDPA range behind my tractor barn. I had it built when I built my house. I had to hog out the side of the mountain for the dirt so it was a win,win. At the time I was competing competitively in IPSC. About 800 rounds a week in practice. I moved the kids swingset back there for the winter time.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old February 24, 2013, 09:03 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I moved the kids swingset back there for the winter time.
When I first looked at your pictures, I thought the swing set / firing range was an odd combination.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:07 PM   #7
BuckRub

I thought u shot at targets while kids were swinging