The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 25, 2010, 08:08 PM   #1
starbuck125

1858 rem

Ok, ok, its eating away at me....wanting a 1858 rem, 5 1/2 " BAD!!! been looking at them for awhile now. I was holding my own till, i just happened over to cableas web site last nite... big mistake, they're on sale $ 199.99, with free shipping !!!!
Fellas, i'm wanting ya's opinion on this deal from cableas, as far as i 've been able to find on the net, its the best out there. sale ends 11/30/10.
I can already feel the gentle buck from it, the smell of burnt powder now!!
Old November 26, 2010, 06:39 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

Starbuck125

I do not think you will find that pistol any cheaper anywhere else. Maybe Midway. They have had their eight inch barrel 1858 is steel on sale for about five months now. But the deal on the shorter barrel job is new witht he Xmas catalog AFAIK. It is about a 25% discount.

I have a Pietta Remington with a slightly longer barrel (I think it is six or six and a half) and I love it.

Congrats on the purchase.
Old November 26, 2010, 09:44 AM   #3
Hawg

Yeah if I wanted one I'd jump on that. Whacha waitin on?
Old November 26, 2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Doc Hoy

Hawg

The reason I said "congrats on the purchase" is that I knew that Satrbuck had already made up his mind.

Ain't that right Starbuck?

Actually....on the serious side, I think it might be wise to get the shorter barrel because the long barrel frequently goes on sale. IARC the short barrel pretty much stays at just under three hundred pretty much of the year. Also easy to find a fairly good deal on a used 8 inch barrel Remington on the gunbroker. Shorter barrels are rarer.
Old November 30, 2010, 11:30 PM   #5
starbuck125

thanks, Doc, Hawg.
And Doc, you were right...ordered it tonite. its on backorder, which don't bother me too much, since it was a good deal, could'nt pass it up . told the wife that i'd try an sell my .40 cal XD springfield pistol to cover the cost. since i really don't shoot it much , and prefer BP shooting
i'll post pic of new family member, when she comes in.
Old November 30, 2010, 11:43 PM   #6
napp

Good move Starbuck. I actually had the same gun in my cart today until I saw that it was back ordered. I called Cabela; and they said the next shipment is due on 26 Dec. Since this was my first BP purchase, I didn't have the patience to wait.

I ordered another gun that was in stock; but I will have one with the 5 1/2 inch barrel eventually. I just hope I can find a deal like that when it is time.

napp
Old December 2, 2010, 10:52 AM   #7
sewerman

make sure your sale model isn't a brass frame model.

brass is soft metal & normal loads even in B.P. will cause the frame to stretch/expand due to recoil which will throw your cylinder out of time.

unless you want to plink with reduced loads save your money & purchase a steel frame.

steel framed at the sale price? buy & enjoy!

sewerman

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!
Old December 3, 2010, 02:17 PM   #8
bprevolver

Remington 5 1/2" Barrel

I have been trying to find a Remington New Model Army with the case hardened frame, checkered grip, full fluted cylinder with 5 1'2" barrel. EMF had these but are out of stock. Also, Marstar in Canada offers Remington, case hardened frame, checkered grip, 5 1/2" barrel, but plain cylinder. However, they will no longer sell to the U.S. even to an FFL.
Old December 3, 2010, 02:32 PM   #9
Doc Hoy

Howdy Bprevolver

Nice to see your post again.
Old December 3, 2010, 02:55 PM   #10
Doc Hoy

Folks,

I came up with an excellent condition Pietta 1858 with a six and ahalf inch barrel in .36. Date code is BU. Pistol is excellent in fit finish and operation.
Old December 3, 2010, 03:35 PM   #11
mrappe

Remington 5 1/2" Barrel

I was also looking at the EMF gun and I called them and the said that they would not be selling these anymore.
Old December 4, 2010, 01:20 PM   #12
CameronP

Hey Doc:

I've also obtained the Pietta "Navy" with a 6 1/2 bbl. I can't believe the fit and fine finish. This one's a keeper.
The only thing that bugs me is that I can't use my Lee Conicals in it. The chamber is on the small size. I can live with shooting 0.375 ball though.
My small hands will force me to customize the grips.
Old December 4, 2010, 01:37 PM   #13
Doc Hoy

Cameron

I bought mine used but I think it originally came from Dixie Gun Works.
Old December 5, 2010, 05:05 PM   #14
starbuck125

geeze, haven't even gotten my new 58 yet, and already wanting another cylinder. ya'll was talking about a fluted cylinder is making me want one now. wonder where a feller could find one??
plus the wait is really eating at me now !!!
but it'll be worth the wait when she gets here....
Old December 8, 2010, 06:56 PM   #15
BConklin

it will indeed be worth the wait. I had a chance to handle one today at Traditions over in Old Saybrook. I didn't know that they have a showroom!

Anyway - they had a Pietta 1858 with the short barrel just like the one you're getting. Sweeeeeeeeeeet gun!

The guy there was telling me they don't advertise..they don't even have a sign out on the road. They don't want to compete with their dealers.

I didn't buy anything but I got a chance to check out several guns I'm interested in, including the Crockett squirrel rifle. I'm gonna hafta get me one of them.
Old December 11, 2010, 11:18 PM   #16
starbuck125

bconklin,
you might as well go ahead and get that rifle..... it'll eat at you till you can't stand it anymore....
while your at it better get you one of those 58's to take with you when your shooting that rifle...don't wanna throw yourself off balance !!...
Old December 12, 2010, 05:15 AM   #17
Smokin_Gun

Congrads Starbuck on gettin' that Rem NMA 5 1/2bbl .44... Ya done real good.
Another Rem man arround now :O)
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old December 12, 2010, 11:35 PM   #18
BConklin

Starbuck - I already have a .36cal '58 that would balance a squirrel gun very well.

I'm itching to pick up another 1858 in .44 ...but then I'm also itching to pick up a stainless ROA as well...and those Uberti revolving carbines look like a whole lotta fun too..
Old December 19, 2010, 11:38 PM   #19
starbuck125

ROA

i would'nt mind having one of those either, getting harder to find around here.always wondered why ruger stopped making them. i figure demand, cost, labor was the kill factor on these fine looking weapons.
Old December 29, 2010, 01:46 PM   #20
starbuck125

cabela's emailed me today....they don't expect to ship my order till after 1/25/11 .
i 've been watching for the brown van, or fedex to pull in my drive all week. going to be a long wait now.
Old January 13, 2011, 09:33 PM   #21
starbuck125

got home today from work, wife said that i had a package. the 58 arrived!! what a beauty to behold. action is sweet, tight, lines up good, no binding . gotta clean off the oil in the morning and get ready to have some fun . going to try what loads she prefers. thinkin about 25 grains to start. this beauty feels real good in my hands. the wood grain is sweet also, guess i could go on almost all nite , but ya'll get the idea. let ya know how she handles after i take her out this weekend.
Old January 14, 2011, 06:29 AM   #22
Doc Hoy

Starbucks125

Congrats on the new arrival.

Am anxious four your reaction once you shoot it.
Old January 14, 2011, 10:06 AM   #23
napp

That's good news...Christmas in January. I know you were tired of waiting; but, at least, Cabelas beat their projected delivery by a couple of weeks.

Please don't post anything else about it...you're gonna cause me to spend more money.
Old January 14, 2011, 06:26 PM   #24
BConklin

Congrats Starbuck!