The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 20, 2009, 01:48 PM   #1
dbv

RCBS Carbide Pistol Sizing Dies

Just started reloading for my 44 mag and bought RCBS 3-die set (carbide). Two things about the die. First, the carbide part starts just inside the die (doesn't appear to go all the way to the bottom). Second, the instructions say to take it to the shell plate and then back it off a bit (emphasises that carbide dies should not hit the shell plate). The result of this is that my 44 mag cartridges are resized only about 90% of the length leaving 1/8 to 3/16 that's wider than the rest of the cartridge. Now, when you add the bullet, that stretches the top 1/3 out a bit so now it has a bit of an hourglass shape to it. Is this normal? I shot 100 rounds and they were just fine. All measurements (width top and bottom and length) were within tolerances. Thanks.
Old July 20, 2009, 01:57 PM   #2
Farmland

Your doing everything just right and yes that is the look you will get. If in doubt try fitting into a case gauge. And yes the resizer only has a small ring in the bottom.
Old July 20, 2009, 02:34 PM   #3
LHB1

Yes, that is normal.

LB
Old July 20, 2009, 03:47 PM   #4
Shoney

dvd
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

The information given aboce is correct. You're doing well. You will find "Coke bottle" appearing rounds in the many of the straight wall pistol cartridges.

I thought it was interesting that you shot them, then asked if they were OK.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old July 21, 2009, 01:12 PM   #5
dbv

RCBS dies

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old July 21, 2009, 02:06 PM   #6
margiesex

Never an issue

Welcome!

In all the time I've loaded - I have yet to have a problem with any RCBS item (except the auto priming feature of the PRO 2000), and I have yet to have a problem with RCBS service. Recently they sent me a third sizing ball.....at no cost to me!

God bless.

Margiesex

And remember - Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!