The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 22, 2009, 05:29 PM   #26
the_right_reverend

put one of the kids in the garage I took over one of the empty bedrooms
Old June 23, 2009, 05:17 PM   #27
ramptester

Got my Basement dehumidifier on 55% at 70 degree. I have a TV down there. Good way to spend an hour with a Dillon. Keeping the humidity away is key. I have even considered shrink wrapping some of my long term storage ammo until it is used, to avoid corrosion/duds. (Yes I am in the deep south). Avoid the distilled beverages and [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] powders.
Old June 24, 2009, 06:34 PM   #28
gdeal

Garage OK

I have a jeep, a car and a folding camping trailer in the garage. Would reloading in the garage be OK?
Old June 25, 2009, 05:05 PM   #29
T. O'Heir

"...blow up your vacuum..." Nonsense. No primer is going to blow up a vacuum cleaner. Highly unlikely to get hit hard enough to set one off either.
Reloading is completely safe as long as you excercise some common sense.
Old June 28, 2009, 08:27 AM   #30
roc1

I would not go back to the garage after all the kids left home. In fact my wife and oldest son removed the carpet from my gun room and she painted the floor and it is real easy to keep clean. It is th only way to go. Componets stay constant temp and dry.You stay comfortable as well.
roc1
Old June 28, 2009, 08:54 AM   #31
wncchester

If it wasn't safe to load in the house (small H) I would have died 40 years ago.
Old June 28, 2009, 10:46 AM   #32
Uncle Billy

I'm moving from the basement (too wet down there) to a 2nd floor bedroom that's carpeted. Some times I can generate a static "crack" in there which I attribute to the rug. My first order of business is that the rug has to go; I have black powder along with smokeless and static arcs could set the whole works off.

Static electricity and its potential for sparks ought to be considered if there's a carpet on the floor (or any other potential source of static like curtains, or clothes, etc.).
Old June 28, 2009, 11:39 AM   #33
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Static electricity and its potential for sparks ought to be considered if there's a carpet on the floor (or any other potential source of static like curtains, or clothes, etc.).
Very true. If working with black powder, I would probably ditch the carpet, too.

When it comes to smokeless powder, though.... my reloading room is carpeted. I have absolutely no fear of static ignition, especially since an open-air ignition would mean a very slow burn that allows me enough time to grab the fire extinguisher. (Convienently placed at the entrance to my reloading room.)

What I really hate, is the mess that a serious static charge can make of your powder. I have a folded up antistatic electronics mat laying on the back edge of my bench. The mat is then grounded to my reloading press and the common ground in my house's electrical system. It really helps to keep any static charge from building on the bench, and the grounded press means I discharge, directly to ground, any charge I have when I grab it.
Old June 30, 2009, 07:46 PM   #34
James R. Burke

I am set up in the corner of the basement that I claimed has mine. I have a piece of carpet down, and now and then just take it outside, and shake it off. I sweep the rest of the floor. No vac. Dont know if it would hurt or not but that is just me.
Old July 1, 2009, 01:53 PM   #35
Dave R

Yep. Its safe. Just don't be stupid.

(I think the majority of us reload in the house.)
Old July 1, 2009, 01:57 PM   #36
Big Ugly Tall Texan

Reloading is as safe as you make it

In the house or not.

I have loaded many rounds of ammo using a Lee Hand Press sitting in the recliner watching TV.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." - Hastings' Third Law
Old July 2, 2009, 12:28 AM   #37
mike6567

I turned an extra bedroom into my reloading room with my gun safe. It has laminate flooring so when I am done I just sweep everything up and throw it away. When your stuff is inside makes it a lot more pleasant.
Old July 2, 2009, 05:05 PM   #38
SSG-Gibb

Is I started reading through this thread I was wondering is someone was going to bring up Static, my father started me reloading a little over 20 years ago, and one of the first things he ever instilled in me was how dangerous it was to pure powder underneath a florissant light. He showed me pictures of the upstairs of the Garage after pouring red dot powder into a measurer under a light. Sufficed to say that contrary to popular belief there WAS NOT enough time to grab the fire extinguisher. Like they said, "Don't be stupid."
Old July 2, 2009, 05:12 PM   #39
gdeal

Quote:
He showed me pictures of the upstairs of the Garage after pouring red dot powder into a measurer under a light.
Alright, so what exactly are you trying to say?
Don't use fluorescent lighting? Only use incandescent lighting?
I have flourescent lights in my garage on the ceiling.
Old July 2, 2009, 05:26 PM   #40
rwt101

Very interesting. I also use a fluorescent light over my reloading bench.
Bob T
Old July 2, 2009, 05:53 PM   #41
Nnobby45

Quote:
My main concern is the carpeted floor; powder in the carpet can't be good.
Powder in the carpet is removed just as easily as dirt---pretty well.

LOL. Anyone who says not to vacuum spent primers probably isn't a reloader. You'll be vacuuming your share of spent primers and pieces, and even live--- just like the rest of us.

Plastic mat is a good idea.

Keep vacuuming until you no longer hear "clink clink". Never heard a bang yet, though ya never can tell. They can be hard to pick up down in the shag. Bullets make the biggest "clink". More like "CLANG!".

Woops, gotta go get some more Red Bull.

HOT TIP: I'd worry more about the powder accumulating in the vacuum cleaner bag and recommend changing bags after use in the reloading room before long, or immediately after a spill.
Old July 2, 2009, 07:58 PM   #42
SL1

Flourescent lights ignite powder?!?

That is a new one on me.

I have reloaded under the old 40 watt tubes and under the new curly bulbs without seeing any indication of static electricity. And, UV light is not going to set off the powder. And, magnetic field isn't a problem, either.

I don't know what set off your dad's Red Dot unless the light fixture was arcing sparks into the powder container.

SL1
Old July 7, 2009, 10:00 AM   #43
Piper Cub

I usually smoke while I am reloading ..is that safe?
Old July 7, 2009, 11:24 AM   #44
GeauxTide

Getcha a ROOMBA.
Old July 8, 2009, 11:34 AM   #45
stimp

I use a spare room for my reloading. I figure if I'm comfortable there will be less chances for me to cause an error, rather then worrying about being to hot or cold. Plus the house is a constant temp mostly which is better on the primer and powders.

I do the tumbling and casting in the garage however!

Have fun and enjoy the comfort..
Old July 18, 2009, 09:33 PM   #46
yrralguthrie

Ya think!

Don't vacuum up live primers!!! There is a good chance impact or spark will ignite them and blow up your vacuum. I have heard of this happening several times. Sweep them up instead of vacuuming if you have any uncertainty that all the primers on the floor are used.

""I heard" may be the most useless statement that can be written on a forum"

Total BS.
Old July 19, 2009, 06:28 PM   #47
Dallas Jack

My wife said it's OK.
Dallas Jack