The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 3, 2009, 09:37 AM   #1
Bamaboy12

Owning a Class3 weapon?

I had read all the things about owning a class3 weapon, the stamp, passport pics, form 1, wait, alot of money etc. etc. I haven't found anything on here about, If i work for the gov. and am a federal law enforcement agent is it any easier to get any of these weapons?? Another question is if the weapon is not fully auto is it considered a class3 weapon? i know that if it is slienced then yes it is class 3 reguardless. Thanks.
Old June 3, 2009, 09:46 AM   #2
p99guy

yes, the process is the same as employment is not a consideration.
And yes there are national Firearms Act weapons that are not full automatic.
(Short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, "any other weapon" and destructive devices,Silencers, are the different classes other than machine gun.

This would have been covered in Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (Basic Academy), Glencoe Ga. in the Federal law classes.
Old June 3, 2009, 09:51 AM   #3
Bamaboy12

You are right, but i didnt goto FLETC in georgia, i went to Artesia, NM and dont remember if we covered that or not. After working there over a year i got re-activated and deployed back to Iraq with the Marines so I have forgotten alot as well, gonna have to re-learn alot when i get back in a few months. Thanks though, seems weird that it wouldn't be any different. Guess it makes it fair accross the board.
Old June 3, 2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Willie Lowman

Quote:
I had read all the things about owning a class3 weapon, the stamp, passport pics, form 1,
Form 1 is to make a SBR, SBS, AOW, or suppressor but not a machinegun. Form 3 is what the weapons transfer dealer to dealer on and Form 4 is what they tran$fer to individuals on.

Quote:
I haven't found anything on here about, If i work for the gov. and am a federal law enforcement agent is it any easier to get any of these weapons??
No. If you want to privately own one of these weapons you must jump through the same hoops as me. There is a B I G legal difference between a NFA firearm issued to someone as an officer (like a SWAT cop's department owned MP5) and NFA firearm privately owned by said person.

Quote:
Another question is if the weapon is not fully auto is it considered a class3 weapon? i know that if it is slienced then yes it is class 3 reguardless. Thanks.
If it is a Short Barreled Rifle (barrel less than 16"), if it is a Short Barreled Shotgun (barrel less than 18"), Any Other Weapon (smooth barrel pistol, pen guns, flashlight guns, etc.) or a Destructive Devise (bore over .5" with no 'sporting purpose') it is a class 3 weapon (NFA). A silencer is considered a NFA item not the gun it goes on unless the silencer is integral to the gun.
Old June 3, 2009, 10:05 AM   #5
oldcspsarge

A form-1 is to manufacture a short barreled rifle/shotgun or a suppressor.
There is NO way for an individual to manufacture a machinegun since 1986.

Pre-86 transferrable guns could be purchased via a class 3 dealer.

There are NO class 3 guns....they are firearms covered under the National Firearms Act, commonly referred to as NFA . Owners become SOT's...special occupational Tax Payers....your approved paperwork will come back with a tax stamp on it. The tax is a one time tax .

Class 3 is a licensed NFA dealer...Class 2 a NFA manufacturer.

There are NO special class of people based upon who they work for..Thank GOD ! I did a transfer for a Fed supervisor who stopped by NFA to check on his transfer...they told him to go bump !

Everybody goes thru the same process which takes 3 months plus after everything is submitted to BATF.

Best bet is to contact a class 3 dealer in the state you will reside in. There is a list of dealers on www.subguns.com

Hope that helps !
Old June 16, 2009, 08:49 AM   #6
freakshow10mm

There is a way to Form 1 a machine gun by an individual, but they don't have ownership to it.