The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 26, 2009, 07:02 PM   #26
troy_mclure

i too double fired 2 2 3/4" 1 oz slugs from my springfield/j stevens sxs that is sawed down to 18.5" it also had a hard plastic but pad as well.
2 days later my shoulder and part of my chest were good and bruised.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 26, 2009, 07:14 PM   #27
Hawg

My daughter who is 17 now has routinely fired both barrels of a 12 gauge SXS with no recoil pad shooting clays since she was 13. Now that's 2 3/4 target loads with 7 1/2 shot but she's no heavy weight.
Old April 17, 2009, 03:09 PM   #28
Willie Lowman

Quote:
My Dad has an O/U (I believe it was made by FN) that will occasionally light off both barrels at once. Not terrible, but loaded with 3" shells, it will get your attention.
Quote:
LOL, I've had a couple of old shotguns that would do it on their own every now and then.
Quote:
I had a shotgun double on me once. At the time, I hardly noticed. I kicked up a turkey, literally from under my feet, threw the gun up and pulled. The bird was about as big as a B-52; I was dimly aware that the gun felt different upon firing.
I missed.
When I broke the gun open to reload, both hulls had fired.
If the guns you guys are talking about are single trigger double barrels, you have met the ATF's criteria for an illegal machinegun. (fires more than one shot for one pull of the trigger)

I know it is stupid but they make the rules. I'd get those old guns fixed if I were you. Just advise, take it or leave it.