The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 14, 2004, 09:08 AM   #1
z28pwr

When do I use a Choke ?

I just recently purchased my first shotgun and assembled it last night. The beretta 390 came with 2 chokes. Should I put a choke in before I go to the skeet trap, if so which one.

Thanks.
Old July 14, 2004, 09:17 AM   #2
mete

Only two chokes ? Anyway you ALWAYS use a choke otherwise you will damage the the choke threads on the barrel.There are many chokes available ;cylinder,improved cylinder,modified, improved modified, full, extra full.These are listed in order from most open pattern to tightest pattern. For skeet you would use probably the IC choke, for trap maybe modified....Since you are new to shotguns I strongly suggest you get lessons from a good instructor, it will greatly shorten the learning curve.
Old July 14, 2004, 11:31 AM   #3
K80Geoff

I suspect that there is a choke tube in the barrel already, the two additional chokes probably compliment the installed choke. Berettas usually come with one tube installed and two tubes in little plastic bottles. Usually IC, Mod and full chokes are provided. (Unless of course you buy an O/U, then you get two tubes installed and one additional supplied OEM.) Check the instruction book for the markings on the chokes to find out which is which.

You should ALWAYS have a choke tube installed. Shooting with the choke threads exposed is not advisable.

If you go to a clays course, ask another shooter to explain the chokes to you. Skeet usually will require an IC, TRAP Mod or Full. YMMV
Old July 14, 2004, 01:30 PM   #4
z28pwr

I think you guys are right and that it did come with 3 chokes since there are (2) in the little platic containers and maybe there is one in the barrel already.

I wish beretta would give a parts list. I'll have to check tonight to see if it has a choke. When I go to the choke section in the manual it starts by showing you how to remove the choke to put a new one. The people at Wally World aren't very knowledgable either. I guess it's sometimes worth it to pay the extra $50 - 100 bucks to get somebody that knows what they are doing and show you and explain to you how the gun works.
Old July 14, 2004, 04:05 PM   #5
mtnboomer

As a rule of thumb:
(1) the farther the target, the tighter the choke and visa versa - very close; cyl. or mod. cyl., close; mod., far; full, very far or tough target; x-full
(2) for skeet and trap use a more open choke; mod. cyl. or skeet
(3) for slug use cyl., mod. cyl. or rifled chokes ONLY

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old July 14, 2004, 09:30 PM   #6
SquirrelMan

Quick question, which is more open; modified cylinder or skeet?
Old July 14, 2004, 10:16 PM   #7
rwilson452

chokes

I think you will find the skeet choke to be the most open of the ones you have a cylinder bore choke is really no choke at all it makes it a straight bore. If you search around the web you can find a list of chokes. I can't find mine.
Old July 14, 2004, 11:01 PM   #8
SquirrelMan

Oops, I meant improved cylinder. I googled for it and skeet is more open.
Old July 15, 2004, 06:11 AM   #9
Tommy Vercetti

info here

http://www.freeammo.com/fxchoketube.html
Old December 6, 2004, 08:19 PM   #10
Irishmtnmn2001

You might check into available chokes. There are many half-steps which will help you fine tune your shots such as improved/modified and Extra Skeet.
Old December 8, 2004, 07:48 AM   #11
SmokinTom

Imp.Cyl. for 16yd. targets.Mod. to Imp. mod. to the 22 yd. line and Full out to the 27. Thats with 1-1/8oz loads.