The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 4, 2015, 03:34 PM   #1
OptimaV2

New to Black Powder

Hello everyone. New to the website and new to black powder firearms. Bought a CVA Optima V2 and Pietta 1858. Just got a few questions regarding cleaning.

With Black Powder residue, as simple as hot water and soap can clean it up correct?

What about copper, plastic [Sabots], and lead? What good products will remove those three? I'm assuming in terms of harshness, it would be Plastic solvents then lead then copper?

I've bought Powerbelt AeroLite, does anyone have any experience with them here? How are they to clean?

Any other cleaning tips is appreciated.
Old June 4, 2015, 03:58 PM   #2
Wolf and Raven

You shouldn't get leading to the extent you would with higher velocity smokeless cartridges and lead bullets.

So, yes it really is as east as soap and water. I occasionally also use a bore brush. That's it for me.
Old June 4, 2015, 04:02 PM   #3
OptimaV2

I bought a Pietta 1858 as well and plan on using lead round balls and possibly conicals. I've also found some lead ammunition for the .50 cal OptimaV2. So simple hot water and soap will take care of those kinds of rounds? If so thats great.
Old June 4, 2015, 04:10 PM   #4
Wolf and Raven

Correct, the lead bullets/ balls will not lead the barrel anywhere close to the way the higher velocity smokeless cartridge rounds would with lead bullets.
Old June 4, 2015, 04:34 PM   #5
Bishop Creek

I don't even use soap, just hot water, bore brush and patches. Never had a leading problem with black powder.
Old June 4, 2015, 05:46 PM   #6
bungiex88

I'll use simple green and hot water scrub for awhile then run just hot water through it then I let it dry then run pre soaked patches with solvent until patches come out white then if I'm storing it for awhile I'll run a patch with bore grease down
Old June 5, 2015, 07:21 AM   #7
toot44

leading

usually in reloading books I be leave the rule is to keep velocity below 1600 feet per second and there will be no leading problem.
Old June 5, 2015, 09:18 AM   #8
noelf2

Quote:
usually in reloading books I be leave the rule is to keep velocity below 1600 feet per second and there will be no leading problem.
Depends on the hardness of the lead. Reloading books usually assume hard lead. The soft lead used in BP revolvers will lead barrels easier, but I have not experienced any leading issues in my BP guns.
Old June 5, 2015, 09:58 AM   #9
g.willikers

From the reference to plastic and copper from the sabots, that might take more conventional treatment, in addition to the soap and water.
Having never used sabots, though, in muzzle loaders, can't say for sure.
It just seems heretical.