The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 8, 2014, 05:45 PM   #26
ohiomossyoak

Im partial to vortex optics.You get alot for the price an customer service that is no fault,no questions asked etc..I like 8x42s for hunting in my locale(ohio).Even Vortex under 200$ stuff is better than most anything else in the same price range. Just my opinion though
Old December 8, 2014, 08:48 PM   #27
geetarman

I have a 35 year old Nikon 7X50 that is just about perfect. They will open up wide enough to accommodate my inter pupillary distance. If you don't have enough movement, the field of view will lead to eye strain. I bought a set of Bausch and Lomb 10X50 without really trying them and I cannot get the spread I need for my eyes. It is pretty good glass but not usable for me.

Many new designs today do not accommodate those of us with wide spaced eyes and some of the new high end binocs just won't work for me.

You need a set that will allow you to approach the "merge" of both eyes from each direction. From being too close together to being too far.

There is a "sweet" spot where the image blooms and you need to be able to get there from both directions.

Carpe Cerveza
Old December 8, 2014, 09:38 PM   #28
Cowboy_mo

These (Minox) are not well known among hunters but they are fantastic glass for a working man's price. http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62173 They are sold out of them right now which should tell you something.

I've owned and used these binos since 2010 and love them. I bought them for a trip to South Africa in 2010. I asked my guide if he was familiar with them as he had some high dollar Zeiss. He said, Oh yes they are very good and much more reasonable than the Zeiss. They worked great from early morning to very late evening in the bush. If you've never been there, you can't imagine how dark late evening in the bush can be. Mine are 10 x 42 and are very stable. You can look through them all day without sucking the life out of your eyes.

I liked them so well, I have also purchased and used 2 of their scopes. Lifetime warranty and great repeatability.
Old December 16, 2014, 12:36 AM   #29
Clark

I wear a pair of Minox HG 8x33 BR ASPH binoculars strapped to my chest when hunting.

From that harness I have lanyards to my GPS on one side and range finder on the other.

Then I have a rifle over my shoulder with a sling, and on that rifle is a scope, bipod, ammo pouch / cheek rest, and a rear bag hanging.

I shot that buck at 477 yards in 2013. I used the binocs to find him. The sun was coming up and was shining on his antlers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clark's buck deer 2013.jpg (161.0 KB, 3 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old December 16, 2014, 07:38 PM   #30
603Country

I much prefer 10x42's over 7x35's. I use some Leica binocs (10x40) for hunting, but we have some 10x42 Nikon's around the house and they are pretty darn good glass. Hard to beat Nikon for quality for price, though I'll stay with my Leica binocs.

Don't get 10x50's. Too big, with not enough return for the investment and weight.