The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 6, 2013, 06:42 PM   #1
BoogieMan

Manual powder drop

I dont have a powder funnel because I normally use the progresive press. This time I ran manual with RCBS dies. I trickled each drop onto my Hornady GS-1500 scale and then used the included cup to tap the powder into the cases. Other than being painfully slow is there any issue with this method?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 7, 2013, 10:32 AM   #2
Jeff2131

As long as the weight of charge is where its supposed to be, what difference does it make how it gets in the case?
Old November 7, 2013, 11:34 AM   #3
BoogieMan

Thats what I was thinking. My question is other than speed is there any reason not to trust a digital scale for this type of loading. Also no fennel or anything. The only dipper I have is from a 8x56r kit.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 7, 2013, 12:08 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Unless you are loading the smallest bullets made, you can probably find a stray bottleneck case at a range of such caliber that its neck fits inside the mouths of the cases you are loading. Cut the head off this stray case and you have a narrow, but easier to feed powder funnel.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 7, 2013, 12:24 PM   #5
mikld

Got a sheet of paper handy? Roll it up into a cone, snip the pointy end off = powder funnel! I have a nice RCBS and a Lee powder funnels but sometimes they can dribble a flake or three when loading .22 cal brass, so I make a "custom" temporary use powder funnel...
Old November 7, 2013, 12:29 PM   #6
serf 'rett

Shouldn't be any issue other than..."painfully slow"

What were you loading?
Old November 7, 2013, 01:28 PM   #7
markr

Since a powder funnel is about the cheapest reloading tool you could possibly buy, out of all the other stuff, why not get a powder funnel and spend more time focusing on other things?

Washed up 11B1P
Old November 7, 2013, 01:47 PM   #8
BoogieMan

Quote:
Since a powder funnel is about the cheapest reloading tool you could possibly buy, out of all the other stuff, why not get a powder funnel and spend more time focusing on other things?
None of my LGS had one. I dont need anything else to place an order.
I polished the powder pan that came with my scale. It has sped things up a little. The paper trick works except the powder is getting stuck in the seem. Im loading W296 which appears to be a very fine ball. Im loading 460 (45 cal) so not to many cases are larger diam than the hole in the top.
Its working. My only other experience has been poder through expanders. This is my first time doing a single stage job.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 8, 2013, 07:24 AM   #9
Jeff2131

You can trust a digital scale to about 98%...i use a lee bench mount perfect powder measure....to determine the correct amount, i use a digital scale to set the caliber on it. And as my own personal rule of thumb, i ALWAYS load middle of the road because the powder measurer is usually off 20-30 out of 100cases by about .2-.4 grains. So i load mid range so that no matter if its over or under i know that each round is still within the published range and i wont have any issues. You should check it out, only down side is that with ball powder, it has a tendency to try and slip through the sides a bit but it has been a fast effective way for me to crank out alot of rounds over the past two years.
Old November 8, 2013, 08:33 AM   #10
markr

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/974498/

$3.99 !!

It's calling for you.

Washed up 11B1P
Old November 8, 2013, 04:08 PM   #11
serf 'rett

Not sure if it would work, but you might check local hobby/craft store for a small sandart funnel. I think the funnel would fit inside the mouth of your large case.